70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

Bought this48FNgpo.jpg 1970 Datsun 521 out of SoCal after selling my 280Z. U may have seen it for sell. Plan on going through all systems, not doing a restoration but towards the ratsun look. Have been fixing the usual electrical issues; lights, switches, horn. First project will be the stance. More to come. 

• Like 11
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PO repainted the interior and reupholstered the seats/panels/dash. Pretty clean here. Had to go through all the lights and switches. You can see I fabed up a horn button, can’t find parts I need to fix GuqxCMI.jpgbut future project will be after market steering wheel anyway. 

• Like 5

Lots of plans, lower, front disks, duel Weber’s, and a dull 70’s green paint that will be sanded/cut through the layers of paint. Lowering is half done. 3” blocks in rear, reindexed 3 splines in front. Pretty happy with the look. 

48FNgpo.jpg

bPB2sZT.jpg

Got some custom wheels on order for part two. 

One issue I have is the passenger side is 3/4” higher in rear??  Not sure if it the 2degree shims or a bad spring, had to pull the axel forward about a inch to get it to aligned on the blocks. Fat side of shim towards back. 

dTdFkjl.jpg

• Like 4

I don't think the shims are necessary. By raising the rear axle away from the rest of the truck, the driveline becomes better aligned than when you started. I never understood this on lowered trucks. 

That buckskin color in contrast with the gray is really cool. Reminds me of an old Indian motorcycle. 

FYI on the dual webers: they'll look cool, but they flow far better than your stock L16 head will unless you do a lot of work on it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

I don't think the shims are necessary. By raising the rear axle away from the rest of the truck, the driveline becomes better aligned than when you started. I never understood this on lowered trucks. 

That buckskin color in contrast with the gray is really cool. Reminds me of an old Indian motorcycle. 

FYI on the dual webers: they'll look cool, but they flow far better than your stock L16 head will unless you do a lot of work on it.

Thanks for the detail on the head.  I was planning on hopping up the head a bit. 

• Like 1

fat side is toward the rear. narrow up front.  This is how my 2 deg lowering blocks are. Its. or one can raise the carrier bearing but abit also to help.

crap I had a nice steering wheel and gave it away!!!!!

I woud just get some rubbing compound and degreaser for the engine bay and call it good.

I think looks fine as it is. plus its cheaper. just lower it done!!!!!!

• Like 2

So, waiting on wheels so replaced the window vent seals and new felt in window tracks.  Tips: remove all components except window before removing the vent window. For re-install, I put the felt up the c-piller side and top, then window, vent window, finished the felt down the vent side before assembly everything back together. Expert by the second door. No more rattling window going down the road. 

• Like 1