Greaser2

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, Greaser2 said:

Got my front smoothies in finally and mocking up. Fits fine. Thinking trim rings? Also taller tire as the gap is 1.75” now?  What do you guys think. MOYEnVX.jpg

jpBBNo7.jpg

US steel smoothie 510 series 16x8. Tires are just for mock up but they are 205/50

Maybe it's just me, but the wheel placement looks kind of outdated. It could be moved forward an inch or so to give a more aggressive look.

• Like 1

Can’t disagree. These are 1950’s style smoothies. The tire was a mock tire and the tires I’m actually going to go with will be a bit taller and should change the look some. Also, the black on black is visually odd. If trim rings don’t change the look then I will likely change the wheel color to a grey or green. 

Got it a call that my last two rims are finally in. Will go get them Friday. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Sits nice. Can never go wrong with the hub caps. Did you raise the center carrier bearing to compensate for drive shaft angle from lowering?

I did not, the angle looks ok to me. Anyone feel I will have issues?  The carrier seems to be in great shape so didn’t want to jack with it. When I pull the engine and trans I can take another look. I may want to go with a 5 speed if I can find one and would expect some drive shaft mods. 

1 hour ago, Greaser2 said:

I did not, the angle looks ok to me. Anyone feel I will have issues?  The carrier seems to be in great shape so didn’t want to jack with it. When I pull the engine and trans I can take another look. I may want to go with a 5 speed if I can find one and would expect some drive shaft mods. 

U joints have to speed up and slow down when turning around a bend so two are used that are 1800 to each other. The one accelerating cancels out the one decelerating. But only if the angles are equal.

Note left side is constant speed but right has to speed up and slow down.

jD9eeG7.gif?noredirect 

Probably not able to see the change. Usually 1" spacer under the carrier for every 2" of drop... but this is just 'close enough'. Best way is a drive line level gauge. Borrow one.

How-To-Fix-and-Prevent-Drive-Shaft-Vibra

Angle in equals angle out. Measure with truck sitting on ground and if picky, a full tank and someone in the driver's seat. Measure the front and rear drive shaft angles and compute the angle at the front U joint. Now measure the drive shaft and differential angle and work out that bend angle. They must equal each other or vibration will be the result.

Two bolts to remove the strap that holds the carrier rubber doughnut. Place spacers between it and the frame to raise it and re check both angles. When the middle and differential angles  are equal, make something more elaborate, drill holes and get longer bolts.  The transmission and middle U joint are in a straight line so raising one end will produce equal angles on the front drive shaft. 

Some drop blocks have a built in wedge to tilt the differential, but again this is someone else's idea of what should work.

• Like 4

Hard to tell, but being lower effectively raises the differential relative to the cross member the carrier bearing is bolted to. Less chance of hitting it with the driveshaft on a bounce. Even if you do go to a one piece, the driveshaft angles must be addressed and corrected. 

On my car, I lowered and went to a longer 5 speed. I didn't notice the rumble and vibration till it was gone!!! What a difference! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Maybe it's just me, but the wheel placement looks kind of outdated. It could be moved forward an inch or so to give a more aggressive look.

I personally like it & the black on black.

• Like 1