70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is probably your most likely source. (Ratsun.net)

Datsuns that lived in the Northwest are more likely to have good rubber and plastic, but have rust issues.  Southwest Datsuns are more likely to have less rust, but the summer heat and sunlight takes a toll on rubber and plastic.

If you can get a Nissan part number, try calling your local Nissan dealer.  Sometimes there are NOS OEM parts laying around some Nissan dealers.

I was able to get a reasonable copy of a shift lever boot, from Thailand, through Amazon, but gear shift lever boots are more common, and one part fits more vehicles, thus making the possibility of making a profit on making and selling that part more likely.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

Anyone now why datnisspart.com is not active?

I just went through this.... email the guy direct.... he emailed me back in a day... send him the money through PayPal and he will send you the part....

Banzai(hainz)and I think DP also just ordered through him recently with no issue... 

• Like 1

I have a couple of the wiper seals but they are hard as rocks and the center where the shaft goes through is worn out.  Be happy to donate one for the purpose of manufacturing some new ones.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, pidge said:

Engine bay paint came out looking sharp man. Great job. You painted it yourself?

-Pidge

Yes. Painted the inside, engine bay, and outside in my garage. Not the best but very happy with results.   Kind of using this truck as practice for future projects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, Greaser2 said:

After 50 years my steering column boot is a bit iffy so wanted to find a replacement. Got this 87-93 Mustang boot for $40.  You can see it’s to big. 
GJsQvL8.jpg

Thats ok cause remove the 5 staples and remove the smaller one off the back. 
jk9bjAQ.jpg

Remove the foam and the hole is now a pinch smaller then the column diameter. 
Use your stock boot to trim off the excess.  Remove your old boot from the mounting ring and your ready. 

ne4lApG.jpg

Mocked up. 
enTTmHs.jpg

Fuck man badass. I love it. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

Spent about all day making a bracket for a AC unit. Followings Crash’s build. 
hQj4BMt.jpg

bracket took some time to figure out. 
LxXIkGS.jpg

One thing did you account for the heater box? Are you still installing that.....

That left side might be tight to the defroster ducts..... 

But that is a nice looking bracket....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Greaser2 said:

Yes the heater box will fit.  Spent 2 hours just determining where to put the bracket inbetween wiper arm, glove box and air ducts. Didn’t want to mount it where I did but it should work well. Need to paint it now. 
sOOODsn.jpg

Ya it's a tight fit with everything, doesn't really let you put it anywhere else.... another bit of advice , inside between the dash unit and fire wall i made the hoses cross from the passenger side slightly to the center in case i ever needed to lower the unit after it was installed.....

• Like 1