70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

10 hours ago, wayno said:

That is the second photo he posted to this thread D.P, he likely relocated it after that but he just posted that photo again when starting a new phase of his build, some times it's easier to just re-post a photo rather than taking a new one.

Personally I would leave that engine in there and build an L20b on the side, then change them out and only worry about cleaning up/painting the engine compartment during that phase, but I am speaking from the point of view of a person that has only once thoroughly cleaned/painted an engine compartment before, I just get the outside nice and drive the shit out of them, I cannot own something that clean because then I would never drive it in fear of getting it dirty, I end up selling them when they are really nice before they get dirty and scratched up.

No, I took the photo yesterday. The old battery back is the confusion.  If the original L16 has issues I will likely switch to an L20B. Giving myself 2-4 months to get everything done. Biggest reason I bought this truck is to work on. 

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have the original dual point distributor, and the original four speed transmission, and I see you have the original Hitachi carb, the carb, firewall, clutch, and transmission switches activate the second retarded set of point in the distributor when in third gear, at part throttle.

The second set of points should be set to open 5 distributor degrees after (late, retarded) from the primary points.

This results in ignition timing being 10 degrees retarded when the second set of points is activated, and if the initial ignition timing is set at 10 degreed BTDC, in third gear. part throttle, the engine runs at ignition timing of 0 degrees, or TDC for the spark to occur.  

This was done to reduce exhaust emissions.

Edited by DanielC

Late or retarded timing causes a lot of heat to go out the exhaust port instead of doing work, like turning the engine at low speed. This does three things. It dumps a lot of heat into the water jacket around the exhaust port so the engine runs hotter that it should or needs to be. The low speed is not as good as it could be because efficiency is wasted and the hot exhaust more easily combines with the air injection to burn off any unburnt hydrocarbons.                                                 ./

Th switches are usually for the duel points distributor

if one has a single point dist one can use a Pertronix ignition conversion which have been great for me

the HotSpark is a Chinese Pertronix Clone and they make whole distributors also I seen on EBay.Those distributors (Amazon)might not be a exact drop in due to the timmimg plate not matching the original to match the mount since over the years the L16thruL20 there was a a few versions .So one might have to make or mod or mismatch parts or even move the dist oil spinal reclock to get it at TDC

Just remember they use the stock point coil and the ballast otherwise you can pop the module. Unless they supply a higher resistance coil with the kit.

You don’t need to run a ballast if you’re running a matchbox, or pertronix/hot spark. The ballast is there to drop the potential across the points to prevent premature wear from arcing. If there are no points, then there doesn’t need to be a ballast.

3 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

Got distracted by this high tech black box so cleaned it up. The valve was stuck and the knob set screw was broke off so had to deal with those. egJjdbC.jpg

\

Any wisdom to doing that job?  The dick on mine is mangled from using pliers to open and shut it.   And its been 7 years since that was done.

25 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

Damn that heater came out fantastic! Nice knob! I have been digging around looking for a suitable close to OEM replacement. 

I have a replacement knob but even if a set screw was not broke off in the valve, it probably would have broken eventually.  I drilled the set screw out, this left me with a  hole through the valve post. Picked up a cast iron looking water valve in the hobby lobby draw pull isle.  Drilled out the center to accept the valve post, shorted it’s length a bit,  then drilled a cross hole for a screw that intersects with the hole I drilled in the valve. V9npxDU.jpg

Edited by Greaser2
Add pic
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

\

Any wisdom to doing that job?  The dick on mine is mangled from using pliers to open and shut it.   And its been 7 years since that was done.

Take the front cover off and disconnect the hoses on the back. The core will slide out.  I sprayed WD40 in the valve side pipe and let it soak I’ve enlightened. then used a 3/8 wood dowl to knock it out, make sure to remove the worlds smallest screw first.  Clean up your “dick”,  fine sanded the brass valve and receiver till it slides nice. New #9 o-ring.   Add your new knob. 

There’s an o-ring in a small counterbore in the base. They dry out and get stuck. I always put anti-seize on the boss of the dizzy before reinstalling it into the base. If I remember right, the first time I ever worked on the 521 dizzy, I had to clamp the base in a bench vise and then rotate the dizzy as I pulled up on it. Put a new o-ring in.

Edited by mainer311