Jump to content

70 Datsun 521 newbie


Greaser2

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, greenthumb said:

That looks really good DP

I sent buddy an email. we will see if he responds

Does the carpet have any insulation backing at all? Precut for shifter? Hopefully not in my case...

 

No insulation backing I just used fat mat IIRC.   It is precut for the shifter hole but not the screw holes which were a bitch to line up.   

 

Here is another pic where you can see the bottom of the carpet.

 

34616182865_f99222a9f4_z.jpg

 

Like I said my only complaint was the floor mats which require a 'hair cut' every once and awhile.  Oh and the fact that its black so it shows all the coconut fibers and my dogs hair. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Dogleg 5 speeds are not made for trucks, especially if you haul or tow anything, I was told by a Datsun mechanic that if I was ever going to use it as a truck to use 4th gear, I went thru 4 of them back in the 90s in 5 years, I was very tired of fixing/changing transmissions, what you need is a 1985/86 Nissan 720 regular cab/short box short shaft 5spd and an L block front  transmission case.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was paying $200/$250 for them back in the 90s, but they are getting hard to find now.

By the way, around here transmission shops don't want to work on them Dogleg transmissions, don't know why.

They want $600.00+ to rebuild a transmission around here if you know someone, more if you don't know someone, what shape is it in?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, wayno said:

I was paying $200/$250 for them back in the 90s, but they are getting hard to find now.

By the way, around here transmission shops don't want to work on them Dogleg transmissions, don't know why.

They want $600.00+ to rebuild a transmission around here if you know someone, more if you don't know someone, what shape is it in?

I’m not sure but he had pics of the gears and they look fine. Good to see the gears but not crazy about seeing the trans opened up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There is a large nut and a slightly smaller nut on the mainshaft, and reverse idler shaft of the transmission.  You  have to pull the tailshaft housing off the transmission to get to these two nuts, and they need to be tight.

 

This page has info of my putting a long shaft 1980 720 five speed transmission in my 521.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There was a 63A dogleg option in the '76 and up B-210 for A series engines.

There was an optional 63A in the '78-'79 A10 for L series and Z series from '80 on

 

$700 for a medium strength transmission is too much. They were just adequate in the 200sx car. Get an L series 71B and shorten the driveshaft and modify the mount. These were made for use with a six cylinder, so plenty strong.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There was a 63A dogleg option in the '76 and up B-210 for A series engines.

There was an optional 63A in the '78-'79 A10 for L series and Z series from '80 on

 

$700 for a medium strength transmission is too much. They were just adequate in the 200sx car. Get an L series 71B and shorten the driveshaft and modify the mount. These were made for use with a six cylinder, so plenty strong.

 

 

71B would be a 280z or zx right.  Would this put my shifter about 5 inchs back?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The L series 71B was 31.5" long and used in the following...

 

'77-'78 280z

'79-'83 280zx non turbo

'77-'84 810 and Maxima

'77-'79 620 truck

'80 720 truck

 

It was also used in the 720 diesel and Z series engines, the '80-'83 S110 200sx as a Z series and the '84-'86.6 S12 200sx as a CA series.

 

There's lots of them out there and all you need do is swap an L series front case on to convert to L series engine. I have an '85 CA18ET 5 speed from an S12 200sx with an L series front case on it in my 710 right now.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The L series 71B was 31.5" long and used in the following...

 

'77-'78 280z

'79-'83 280zx non turbo

'77-'84 810 and Maxima

'77-'79 620 truck

'80 720 truck

 

It was also used in the 720 diesel and Z series engines, the '80-'83 S110 200sx as a Z series and the '84-'86.6 S12 200sx as a CA series.

 

There's lots of them out there and all you need do is swap an L series front case on to convert to L series engine. I have an '85 CA18ET 5 speed from an S12 200sx with an L series front case on it in my 710 right now.

 

 

 

Looking on car-part right now because I really want a five speed.  The 80 72 truck looks like it came with both a 4 and 5 speed manual trans??  I would pay good money for 71b tranny.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Have you brought this up/mentioned it in your thread?

 

There is more involved than just bolting in the transmission, if you bought a long shaft 5spd you will need to make/buy a modified transmission mount, shorten the drive line by about 5 inches, put a soft plug in your existing yoke or remove your yoke and install a later type yoke, you will need to make a hole in your tunnel plate and fill the one that is in it now, if you have your bench seat anywhere but all the way back you likely cannot use a long shaft transmission as the shift lever is really close to the seat, but there are shift levers with different shapes that clear the seat a little better, here is a photo of mine in the 520 kingcab before installing bucket seats, the biggest benefits to the long shaft is the shift lever is closer to you and long shaft 5spds are easier to find, and they come with L block cases already on them.

2 hours ago, d.p said:

 

 

Looking on car-part right now because I really want a five speed.  The 80 72 truck looks like it came with both a 4 and 5 speed manual trans??  I would pay good money for 71b tranny.  

 

DSCN0892-1.jpg

 

If you go with a short shaft 5spd you will need the 1985/86 Nissan 5spd, a L block front cover/case from a 71B 4 or 5spd, you will need to make/buy a modified transmission mount, put a soft plug in your existing yoke or remove your yoke and install a later type yoke, but the drive line will work the length it is, the shift lever will be exactly where it is now so no mods needed there.

 

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, d.p said:

 

 

Looking on car-part right now because I really want a five speed.  The 80 72 truck looks like it came with both a 4 and 5 speed manual trans??  I would pay good money for 71b tranny.  

 

 

The list I posted are only 71B 5 speed option years. I didn't think you wanted a 4 speed. 

Link to comment

That is the second photo he posted to this thread D.P, he likely relocated it after that but he just posted that photo again when starting a new phase of his build, some times it's easier to just re-post a photo rather than taking a new one.

Personally I would leave that engine in there and build an L20b on the side, then change them out and only worry about cleaning up/painting the engine compartment during that phase, but I am speaking from the point of view of a person that has only once thoroughly cleaned/painted an engine compartment before, I just get the outside nice and drive the shit out of them, I cannot own something that clean because then I would never drive it in fear of getting it dirty, I end up selling them when they are really nice before they get dirty and scratched up.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.