Greaser2

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Of course, nothing beats a blast cabinet for removing rust. Some of those chemical strippers are great for paint prep, but I have not used one yet that will actually remove the rust. Neutralize it? Yes, but not remove it.

Believe me, it removes rust. It's great for getting rust out of the inside of parts where you can't blast, too. As I recall it also removes mill scale which everyone seems to just paint over, which is a bad plan, Steve

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Use the L16 oil pan and pick up tube so the engine will fit the 521. Use the L16 engine brackets and rubber isolator mounts for the same reason. The L16 distributor, alternator, water pump and fan will work on an L20B so keep for spares. I have used an L16 head on an L20B while that head was milled. It will fit and work as a spare. Intake and exhaust will fit. The flywheel, block and internals are of no use to an L20B.

• Like 1

"I did get an L20b fuel pump and a new clutch slave cylinder, EI, new intake and Weber."

A L-16 fuel pump will work just fine with a L-20-B.
I prefer the stock 521 clutch slave cylinder, because it has a spring that retracts the throw out bearing away from the clutch pressure plate spring fingers

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 1

Daniel, sometime after the 521/510 that spring and the adjustable push rod were done away with. The 521/510 slaves have a long spring inside pushing on the piston where the later ones have the smallest cone shaped spring with 2 coils.

• Like 1

..."a long spring inside pushing on the piston"

This spring would push the slave cylinder piston toward the throw out lever, making the throw out bearing contact the pressure plate fingers.

The external spring on a 521 slave cylinder pulls the throw out lever toward the slave cylinder, pulling the throw out bearing slightly away from the pressure plate.

• Like 1

I believe the 63A is the same as the 71B when it comes to the shift lever finger, but the 60 series 5spd transmission has a short finger and the ears are shorter so I would stay away from them shift levers even though I think they will work as I just test fit a short finger lever in a 71B 4spd and it appeared to shift fine.

Fact is I am too lazy to take the shift lever out of my 63A with an A series case on it because I would have to dig it out of where it is, but the ears look the same as the 71B.

Some of the 71B transmissions have tall ears(short shift) but the shift levers are the same as the regular ears so it appears there is some leeway.

• Like 1

Nope. Side to side, say shifting between second and third or 4th to 5th isn't huge anyway compared to the large forward and back movement of 1st to 2nd..

NNN

2.4.R

wayno I was curious so I did some measuring. Measuring between first and third center to center position of the shift knob is 2.75cm (just a hair under

1.1 inch) From first to second is 7.2cm (2.83") I have no idea what the stock shift distances are but certainly much more than this. It took me a while to get comfortable with this and although the shift is shortened some mechanical advantage (leverage) is lost. Fast shifting takes a slight increase in effort. If just driving not really noticeable. A couple of weeks driving and muscle memory is retrained. Shifting is all wrist movement in a box measuring 3.25" wide by 2.8" deep.

• Like 1