70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

6 hours ago, d.p said:

A dude made some a little while back but limited run of them.   But i think thisismatt bought 2 sets and he doesn't use anything he buys so maybe you can get a set off him?  

36252692711_f721e02a6b_z.jpg

True, but I'll probably still have my 521 after you get bored and sell yours 🖕

• Like 3
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

True, but I'll probably still have my 521 after you get bored and sell yours 🖕

I couldn't care less how long you have your 521 but if the thought that you may own your 521 longer than I do helps you sleep at night then so be it.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

I couldn't care less how long you have your 521 but if the thought that you may own your 521 longer than I do helps you sleep at night then so be it.  

I don't think he needs any help sleeping at night. He has parts that we don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I also like the extra plaid in the center of the bench seat and also ho you carried it on the door panels and now the shifter boot also!  I also like the color matching on the of the grey on the side kick panels

His truck is green..at lease the outside is.  Right greaser2?  

So, I got the click, click, click and no start. I found the battery had swollen. Put on another battery and starts right up but measure 17v on the battery.  So, I should have a bad alternator.  Why is the voltage regulator not dropping this?  Is it bad as well or will it not drop the voltage to the battery?

13 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Looks,good. Get an internal regulated alternator and ditch the external. Just a jumper of 2 wires will fix it. 

The truck came with an extra external alternator so will try that one first. Seems a PO snapped the long bolt on the alternator, the end is in the bracket, so one step back. 

• Like 1

Looks like the external regulator is bad and needs replacing. Cheapest this is to just replace it and keep going. Alternatively (pun intended) you could get a '78 or '79 620 alternator that is internally regulated and get rid of the external one. Only down side is that it's only 36/38 amp output. Car alternators have 50 amp output but are larger diameter and a tight fit.

• Like 1

Even the one I bought claimed it was for a 521.... when I looked at the box trying to install it i found they lumped it in with many years.... seemed more suited for a 620 than a 521...

With a little cutting I made it work....

I would think you could make that work.... not many options for us. 

Didnt these trucks originally come with just that rubber floor mat?

• Like 1

I pulled the carpet out of a 720, it was a 4x4. It fit pretty well, had to trim the width and screw the sill plates over the sides. Another thing is the under pad... it's THICK!!! so thick the clutch pedal wouldn't travel far enough. I had to cut the padding away under the pedals and the heater core. Made the 620 a lot quieter!!!