INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:00 PM, ratpatrol66 said:

Timing set no but I did a head gasket one one. I have done a few OHCs before with no problems but this one kicked my ass. Had a Haynes manual and took notes. Well it ran like shit, one tooth off and it's junk. Ok not junk just ran like crap. This was my brothers truck and he needed it. Bought a take out engine and eat $1000. Still have that little fucker and need to pull it down to see whats wrong.  

Tore it back down.  I bent the valves.  I don’t know how but I did.  I followed the fsm.  Even if it was 180 out I would have been putting it back together 180 out.  But it wasn’t.  

Only thing a fellow told me was he’s not a big fan of the ratcheting tensioners.  I set this one per the fsm though.  He said he sets it and then pecks at them to further set it.  

This is my first major fuckup.  Definitely not a mechanic but definitely did something wrong.  I’m going to pull the head when I can get it in a shop to rework it, then slap it back on.  

180 out would only move the number one piston from TDC to BDC or vica versa. If the cam is correctly installed both valves are either closed at TDC at the beginning of the power stroke, or intake just starting to open and the exhaust just about closed at end of exhaust stroke beginning of the intake stroke. If valves were bent then the cam was not timed properly when installed.

Have a look at the piston tops for marks a valve strike would have made.

Another possibility is laying the head down on a hard surface with the combustion chambers downward. This is easily done by mistake but is a poor practice. The damage may have been done before the head went on the engine.

I am now coming to you via , state of the fricking art iPhone 11.  So suck it bitches . 

on another note 

. You ever wonder what the middle aged dude in mall kiosk would be doing , if not for helping people transfer obnoxious group texts between customers phones ?? 

• Like 1