INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

End times I tell ya. Snowed 4" over night (not a record or anything but has snowed this amount 3 weeks in a row) but was wet and power went out at 4:30. Came back on @ 1:00 PM.  Slept in 2 hours till light out, fed cats, shoveled driveway, curled up on couch with book wearing a cat blanket. Eight and a half hours, house was getting cold, around 11 we dug out the bar-b-q and boiled some water for coffee. 

• Like 3

Anyone ever done a timing set on a 2rz-fe toyota motor?  I took it down and replaced.  I was 100% at tdc, verified by the timing marks on the crank gear, cam gear, two marks on the back side of the other gears and for good measure could see the top of piston one with a flash light.  I reinstalled new set, turned it over by hand and had zero interference.  Zero, turned like butter.

Reassembled it and mother fucker, its bound up.  I have no clue what I did wrong.  I am fairly certain I got all the cover bolts back in the right spots. ( there was 3 weeks in between the tear down and reassembly, fucking holidays)  Had to go get my son so had to call it a night.

I am fairly certain I did not leave anything in the motor.  I keep everything on my cart and bench.  With that being said, I am going to go look for my two magnets to make sure one didn't stick to something and end up in there.  Thought about that while laying in the bed unable to sleep.

Please throw out some ideas.  I was a sad sad panda after I realized I had failed.  I will try to tear it back down on Wednesday.  Chain was being replaced bc it had worn to the point that the tensioner was fully extended.  Ran fine before I touched it, just had chain noise. lol

11 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Anyone ever done a timing set on a 2rz-fe toyota motor?  I took it down and replaced.  I was 100% at tdc, verified by the timing marks on the crank gear, cam gear, two marks on the back side of the other gears and for good measure could see the top of piston one with a flash light.  I reinstalled new set, turned it over by hand and had zero interference.  Zero, turned like butter.

Reassembled it and mother fucker, its bound up.  I have no clue what I did wrong.  I am fairly certain I got all the cover bolts back in the right spots. ( there was 3 weeks in between the tear down and reassembly, fucking holidays)  Had to go get my son so had to call it a night.

I am fairly certain I did not leave anything in the motor.  I keep everything on my cart and bench.  With that being said, I am going to go look for my two magnets to make sure one didn't stick to something and end up in there.  Thought about that while laying in the bed unable to sleep.

Please throw out some ideas.  I was a sad sad panda after I realized I had failed.  I will try to tear it back down on Wednesday.  Chain was being replaced bc it had worn to the point that the tensioner was fully extended.  Ran fine before I touched it, just had chain noise. lol

Timing set no but I did a head gasket one one. I have done a few OHCs before with no problems but this one kicked my ass. Had a Haynes manual and took notes. Well it ran like shit, one tooth off and it's junk. Ok not junk just ran like crap. This was my brothers truck and he needed it. Bought a take out engine and eat $1000. Still have that little fucker and need to pull it down to see whats wrong.  

Edited by ratpatrol66