"Swamp thing" JBC 510 racecar

Icehouse

BzXLKjU.jpg

My Datsun 710 sedan was very slow to warm up and ran slightly low. This was why.

large.1794999733_09112022swampthing(5).J

Way too much air is by passing the radiator and the heater core. Block off those headlight and turn signal openings with plastic or sheet metal. Air will take the path of least resistance around them. If air wants in, make it go through the radiators. 

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We put the thermostat in the…

garbage can!

the picture with the headlights removed is the state of the car when it ran cool all day Sunday. The radiator gaps were taped shut. One of the turn signal holes leads to the air filter box. 

we have since assembled the front of the car the way it was. Some big changes are in the works for us. Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we went Christmas shopping for the race car. The view walking in...

69240323914__2FA7584D-D4F5-42AA-951F-AE85C0170BFF.jpg.718672c91dff98eb4f5826d5ffa1436c.jpg

Lots of goodies here including 3 versions of the SR20. Time to decide which engine to get. Some looked better than others. How about this one?

69240397099__2F030AED-8A9D-472D-959B-79703E66E7BC.jpg.ee760f147c517113570da5d0bdeec69c.jpg

I honestly thought about it but the guy didn't know why it was "bad" so he was reluctant to give us a price. We found one that looked great on the outside but failed the inside the valve cover test. We were offered a discount on that one, but Jeff talked me out of it. I sometimes forget what my time is worth lol. Thanks Jeff! In the end we found plenty of good engines to pick from so lets load up the goods.

69240733357__EE356537-188A-445C-96A6-A2209B34C421.jpg.b4b124e5e4ea4c19501cd22cd9f77a28.jpg

Yes there are two of them in the truck. What other Datsun might be getting a Honda motor?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, rosso said:

Foreign Engines - Lynnwood, Washington - where I got my VG33 (thanks Carter) and look at all those!

Actually wasn't Foreign Engines. Had to drive a little further to get there. Nice enough guy, lots of inventory and we thought the pricing was fair. We tried to work a sponsorship deal but he passed on the opportunity. So here is where we got them. XXXXXX of Washington LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Skib said:

Honda K series with a KA trans?

Correct!  We have a mountain of transmissions to wear out and a bigger stack to rebuild.  

22 hours ago, sick620 said:

Rx8 trans adapted to k24.. this is the way 

We've decide 6 gears is too many.  

Jeff and I got the engines out of my truck today. Had to remove the valve cover to see inside for sure just how good this engine is.

IMG_2180.jpg.db5fb07aec5a90f3bee1335f5d30a228.jpg

Nice and clean! Good thing we didn't buy the one full of sludge. Variable valve timing and dual V-Tech Yo!

IMG_2179.jpg.60ef8eb5848c2082154fd8829be0a27a.jpg

Edited by Trophy24
  • Like 4
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, datsuntech said:

You haven't posted in over two months. WE NEED UPDATES!

We've been working on the K swap in a different rig.  Just in case we get stuck we don't want our racecar broken.  We have a race in September which will be here quick.  

I tried to talk the guys  into having 2 rigs.  That way we could rent seats to buddies and also race against each other.  I mean the guys weren't opposed to it.  Maye if we did a YouTube channel and got donations haha.    Imagine it.  One blue and pink racecar and one pink and blue racecar!!!!! 

gJSL68f.jpeg

On 6/24/2023 at 11:58 AM, paradime said:

Is Carter writing a novel? Can we read the prolog? Cliff notes? 

I will relay the message.  He is in the UK for work and some life stuff come up.  He's for sure the guy we need back.  No one wants to read what I write. haha.  

• Like 3

I would gladly read pretty much anything you and the group come up with.

It could be brief or something your thinking or discussing... those are sometimes the most inspiring builds to read.

I want to know where you guys ended up with the front swaybar sizing and how long the arms are on it...

On 6/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

Is that one of Paolos cars you pulled out of the bushes?

No it's from Olympia.  Bought it probably 7 years ago for 500 bucks.  

On 4/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, Icehouse said:

Back to work!  2 weeks we have our first race!   Hopefully Carter will do a big writeup on it.  Since he's such a good story teller.  

Oh come on now...  If my head gets any bigger it won't fit in my helmet!  : )

How are you doing Swamp fans?! 

Sorry it has taken so long to give this little thread some love. 

I've been buried in work and life and death recently.  I see some light at the end of the tunnel and am excited to get back home and enjoy some summer weather with my family and friends.

Now, about that story...  When did we race?  April?  Wasn't that like three months ago?  Fortunately for you all I have the memory of an elephant!  Yeah, when I was a kid I went to a zoo and I remember seeing an elephant.  : )

Actually, I can barely remember what happened three days ago!  I joke with my wife that my brain is like an etch-a-sketch and every night when I sleep my head must shake back and forth and I wake up in the morning with a clean slate!  : )

Okay, so that's a lot of smiley faces already.  Let's get down to business shall we?

One thing I do remember before the race was the three of us deciding that we never wanted to race the car again with the same gearing it had last September.  So we went to the whiteboard and did some figrin' to see what kind of gear ratios we could come up with using our (well, mostly Jeff's) existing parts.

large.03292023swampthing.JPG.b5ea8c5dcb9

We had the 6spd and 4:11 gears and we kept having to shift to 6th briefly before turn 6 and turn 11 at the Ridge.  Seemed like it was costing us time.  It was nice for getting out the of slow corners though!

We loved the set up with the 5sp and 4:44 gears but as you read earlier - that R180 LSD broke and we have not found parts to fix it yet.

So, we could either change back to the 5spd and use the 4:11 gears or keep the 6spd and use a 3.7 R160.

Turns out the 6spd and 4:11 gears were pretty close to the magic set up we love and swapping a rear end takes way less time than swapping a tranny (or whatever logic we ended up using) and so the choice was made.

Rear end swapped.  All bolts checked.  All fluids exchanged.  (not what you think)  Gear prepped and packed!  And we're off to the races!

• Like 1

Gratuitous full frontal shot:  (Warning, Not Safe For Work)

large.04192023swampthing.JPG.82aba126f7f

Oh wait, one more thing...

We had a *massive* exhaust leak.   And we wanted our car to sound as cool as it looked.  So Jeff bought us a new muffler!  Well, I think he bought it anyway...  If you heard some of the cars that drive by his house (and many people do!), you might question whether he appropriated it from one of his neighbors.  Wherever it came from, thanks Jeff!

large.04052023swampthing.JPG.859e5de0797

Look at that thing!  We should drive our car upside down so everyone can see it!

*Feel free to post this on upskirt.com or wherever you guys do your knicker shopping.*

Edited by carterb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1