"Swamp thing" JBC 510 racecar

Icehouse

Mike remember that the D21 is a short tail R180 and won't work in our housing.  We had a 4.44 R190 super rare diff but it broke.  It was okay but we wanted even lower.  The 6 speed allows us to actually tune gearing.  It will never see 6th gear but that's fine by me.  I did hunt for the rare 1980 720 4x4 long bed R180 gear set but it just doesn't exist.  

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it's either going to be awesome or a complete disaster!

We taped off the car for the first stripe color last night.

large.701222242_08302022swampthing(1).JP

It was actually kind of a fun process and we can see the livery coming alive.  But it did make us wonder why we didn't just apply a couple vinyl stripes and call it done!  : )

large.1763264166_08302022swampthing(2).J

Kudos to those that do this for real.  We are rookies and had our share of troubles.  Not the lease of which is that none of us can see very well and it turns out good eyesight is critical for following body lines.  Especially the ones that might not exist anymore due to - um - expert bodywork.  : )

large.446565855_08302022swampthing(3).JP

Behold the pink cocoon!

large.2059873066_08302022swampthing(4).J

Looks great from here but we had gun troubles, then paint troubles, then some sagging and runs on two panels...  *sigh*

large.350654251_08302022swampthing(5).JP

Tonight we attempt to rectify and clear.

I'm so nervous about 1) how well the tape will come off - and if it will lift the blue underneath and 2) how much pink made its way under that tape.

Good thing we'll be going 100mph!

--carter

Edited by carterb
  • Like 3

Pink and clear finished.

large.717815507_08312022swampthing(3).JP

large.1140999715_08312022swampthing(4).J

...and partially unmasked.

large.899006956_08312022swampthing(5).JP

The colors look great next to each other!

large.1820137897_08312022swampthing(6).J

The masking tape damaged the unhardened blue paint and even lifted it in a few places.  : (

We are hopeful that once it is complete and stickered up and flying down the road no one will notice.  Could have been worse right?

That's all for tonight. 

large.1474122173_08312022swampthing(7).J

Tomorrow we add the white stripe!

Edited by carterb
  • Like 2

Thanks!

We are super happy with the way the paint scheme came out. 

large.97362486_09012022swampthing(1).JPG

large.1571729855_09012022swampthing(2).J

large.1748542584_09012022swampthing(3).J

large.296427590_09012022swampthing(4).JP

It's funny how raspberry the pink turned out.  It seems to be pretty low on pigment so even as heavy as it went on, the blue really shows through giving it the final color.  If I had to do it again I would have painted white first with pink on top.

You can't see it in the photos but the masking tape really messed up the blue paint.  We are hopeful that the worst of it might rub out but who knows.  Once the stickers are on and we are racing I think we'll care a whole lot less.

Pro-tip:  Don't use masking tape nearly the same color as the car you are painting.  All three of us went around before painting the white stripe to make sure there were no uncovered spots and we still missed some!  : )  This was not helped by the fact that the unmasked blue paint has the same texture as the blue tape.  That texture also made it impossible to tell where the bottom of the supersonic line was.  Did I mention this was a great learning experience?!  Now here's hoping for a *bonk* free race next weekend!

Thanks for following, everyone!

Edited by carterb
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, carterb said:

Now here's hoping for a *bonk* free race next weekend!

That's funny.  Here in VSCDA we race with some guys named Bonk.

I like the scheme design, but not a huge fan of the raspberry.   That orange you had on there with some masking would have been cool. 😉

4 hours ago, hobospyder said:

i like the finished product but need to see it in person to compare the blue to something

and then i may ask for the paint code because it would come in handy if it does match 🤔

Here you go buddy!   It's the exact same color as blue masking tape. haha. 

mfdLLpb.jpeg

• Like 1

Race weekend!

Friday is practice day. Saturday and Sunday are race days. We spent some time tonight putting everything back together. Well almost everything. Had to leave some stuff for Jeff and Sam to do tomorrow lol. It sure looks more like a real car now

• Like 2