3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

What are you guys using for software to model your parts?

Are you paying a monthly fee?

My son (12) and I are hoping to get a printer this Christmas...I dont mind having to buy software but I really dont wanna pay a monthly fee for it..... 

Also the brand Anycubic was recommended to me.... good/bad?

Any advice will help....

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

What are you guys using for software to model your parts?

Are you paying a monthly fee?

My son (12) and I are hoping to get a printer this Christmas...I dont mind having to buy software but I really dont wanna pay a monthly fee for it..... 

Also the brand Anycubic was recommended to me.... good/bad?

Any advice will help....

Lots of free software. For getting started especially for kids Tinkercad is great if a bit limited when you get more advanced.

FreeCad and Fusion360 are both quite usable and free* (Fusion360 has a limited free mode which is fine for the home user).

The software is a huge part of the success longterm, but there are also tons of prints available on Thingiverse for free, some other sites like Cults have free and paid models.

You will also need a slicer but which you chose will be up to you and likely what printer you get. Ultimaker Cura is a good free one. 

I'd strongly suggest an FDM printer over Resin for a first timer unless you are ONLY making tabletop miniatures.

Many good brands, I happen to be partial to Creality, but they do have a couple of duds out there. The really hot fancy printer seems to be the Bambu Labs models but much more expensive. 

Just my opinion and it is biased, I'm sure a bunch of others will weigh in with their viewpoints. 

Bunch of youtube channels that give reviews and such many more out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/@TeachingTech

https://www.youtube.com/@LostInTech3D

https://www.youtube.com/@3DPrintingNerd

https://odysee.com/@3DPrint:1

https://www.youtube.com/@TeachingTech

Edited by Dguy210
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

I've got access to a couple printers, but I've been thinking of cheating with scans first

Also been checking out some enhances like this AESUB 'scanning spray' as it looks pretty awesome

https://www.instagram.com/aesub_scanningspray/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D&img_index=7

Athlete's foot spray (like Tinactin) is easy to get and works surprisingly well.

Any kind of fine white powder or just cheap white spray paint also works well if it is something painting won't hurt. The super cheap stuff also comes off easily.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Lots of free software. For getting started especially for kids Tinkercad is great if a bit limited when you get more advanced.

FreeCad and Fusion360 are both quite usable and free* (Fusion360 has a limited free mode which is fine for the home user).

The software is a huge part of the success longterm, but there are also tons of prints available on Thingiverse for free, some other sites like Cults have free and paid models.

You will also need a slicer but which you chose will be up to you and likely what printer you get. Ultimaker Cura is a good free one. 

I'd strongly suggest an FDM printer over Resin for a first timer unless you are ONLY making tabletop miniatures.

Many good brands, I happen to be partial to Creality, but they do have a couple of duds out there. The really hot fancy printer seems to be the Bambu Labs models but much more expensive. 

Just my opinion and it is biased, I'm sure a bunch of others will weigh in with their viewpoints. 

I know the one I'm looking at has a slicer program .... and they recommend the fusion360... got to know it has the limited free mode..

And definitely the FDM not a resin type....

Thanks for the info

Once again looking at getting yet another 3D printer (I mean I've only got like 4 of the damn things already).

Anyways.... trying to make a decision between insanely big print bed (420mm2) and good speed or good speed and small print bed (180mm2) but 4 material/color printing. Price is about the same for both (Neptune 4 Max vs Bambu Lab A1). 

Currently, leaning towards the multi-material route over size as being a better use case. Really want to just buy both of course but... don't really want to drop that much money this close to the end of the year.

Suggestions? Color or Size?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Fusion360 free home use version, it works great, you can only have 10 editable projects at a time. 

I have a large format printer and a smaller one. The large is nice, but the smaller one is currently getting the most use. 

I personally like direct drive units. My smaller printer is not a direct drive. 

• Like 2
On 10/9/2023 at 10:14 PM, Dguy210 said:

Once again looking at getting yet another 3D printer (I mean I've only got like 4 of the damn things already).

Anyways.... trying to make a decision between insanely big print bed (420mm2) and good speed or good speed and small print bed (180mm2) but 4 material/color printing. Price is about the same for both (Neptune 4 Max vs Bambu Lab A1). 

Currently, leaning towards the multi-material route over size as being a better use case. Really want to just buy both of course but... don't really want to drop that much money this close to the end of the year.

I ordered the Bambu Lab A1 combo.... I'll order the other one later.... kind of bought another shotgun so waiting on the funds flow to be a bit better.

• Like 3
On 10/9/2023 at 10:14 PM, Dguy210 said:

go big or stay home LOL

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The A1 mini prints so damn nice. One on the left is the finalized fender mirror for the 1200 on the A1, one on the right is with my Geeetech printer (also showing my mounting block solution which will be used going forward). 4.5hr print at .16mm layer lines in PLA+ Pro black matte. I'm printing the opposite side now. Retaining nut on the end is temporary until I get a correctly sized barrel type nut for it. The image actually makes this look worse than in real life surprisingly. Part is 30% infill and stupid strong.

image.thumb.jpeg.a552a4f4bd0f813db7bf60aa6ac79dab.jpeg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Skib said:

Lol I had to unpack it because the box wouldn't fit threw my office door.

Printer itself barely scraped threw the door frame 🤣

lmao that's epic. We have a large format printer at work that came in on a pallet and had to be assembled in the room that it's in. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, metalmonkey47 said:

lmao that's epic. We have a large format printer at work that came in on a pallet and had to be assembled in the room that it's in. 

hell yeah. what is it?

this xmax did a test benchy in 17min.

my ender would take about an hour.

• Like 4

Fan adapter printed in 90% gyroid infill PETG. Allows a 3 bolt very common late model BMW radiator fan to be used on a Z22 water pump (5.25 in 4 bolt pattern). Adapter is actually 2 disks that sandwich the fan between them with appropriate bolt holes through. 

image.jpeg.a24216eda598cb7e7219e76baff23e8f.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

So it looks like that's an $800+ printer?  With that kind of speed increase......tempting. lol

Its usually about 1k, I got it on sale for 8 and some change.

I'm still catching up on the PLA prints Iv been needing to do.

Then Ill be switching it over to a bunch of ASA and PA12-CF prints.

So far its been awesome with no fucking about right out of the box.

The real test will be when I start pumping a bunch of ASA and PA12-CF threw it

and actually have the chamber heater and stuff on.

• Like 4