3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

How long is it.  I looked above, but didn't see an actual length given.  The Sunlu S8 is sub $300(about $250) and has a build volume of 12.2"x12.2"x15.7".  That gives about 19" on a diagonal from bottom left to top right.  It would take a huge amount of support structure, but might do the trick for you.

image.png.4d8be91c24d93f8ee4b522ddb4b463ac.png

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 1
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, mklotz70 said:

How long is it.  I looked above, but didn't see an actual length given.  The Sunlu S8 is sub $300(about $250) and has a build volume of 12.2"x12.2"x15.7".  That gives about 19" on a diagonal from bottom left to top right.  It would take a huge amount of support structure, but might do the trick for you.

435mm long so 17.1 long. and just under 5 in high. So if printed on the diagonal that doesn't fit. Minimum size would have to be about 16x15.

But that is a nice find, especially for the price.

My current build plate is about 12x12, as cut each piece is 190mm and 245mm long. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, mklotz70 said:

435mm long so 17.1 long. and just under 5 in high. So if printed on the diagonal that doesn't fit. Minimum size would have to be about 16x15.

But that is a nice find, especially for the price.

My current build plate is about 12x12, as cut each piece is 190mm and 245mm long. 

EDIT: With some very exacting alignment it turns out the model will JUST fit on a 400x400mm bed... so an Anycubic Chiron (about ~$500 not on sale) could print it.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1

Hmmm....I don't see why it wouldn't fit.  I'm showing the diagonal from the side.  It's only about an inch thick...right?  The box is the build volume and the plank is the 17x5x1 print....just roughly oriented.  Like I said....tons of support material, but it fits.

image.thumb.png.3597e214f3a7e46360276749b3adaffa.png

image.png.67cae127b1d96c053e1258c6e1a5d498.png

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

Hmmm....I don't see why it wouldn't fit.  I'm showing the diagonal from the side.  It's only about an inch thick...right?  The box is the build volume and the plank is the 17x5x1 print....just roughly oriented.  Like I said....tons of support material, but it fits.

image.thumb.png.3597e214f3a7e46360276749b3adaffa.png

image.png.67cae127b1d96c053e1258c6e1a5d498.png

Yes, technically it would fit at that diagonal, height is ~20mm. However the edge is not even close to flat and it would take much much longer to print (already 24 hours), have a much higher chance of failure, require more filament, and have a less nice finish due to all of the above.

Theoretically I have enough Z height with my CR10 to print it at an angle already it just would take forever, require $20 in filament, and be much likelier to fail. 

Edit: Looks like the Anycubic Chiron is on sale for $259 from their site, unfortunately at looking at the reviews it seems to be not a very good machine and the Kobra which is their upgraded version is ~$530. At that price range I'd go back to looking at one of the ~$600-700 conveyor belt versions first as they are more versatile and the print angle is well suited for this model. I'm not adverse to getting 3rd printer as I do have an Amigo Grande that needs several days of printing to finish up.

theoretical.png

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
On 8/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, mklotz70 said:

I have to thank you actually. This whole thing got me thinking about the angle I print at for the air vents, which let me realize if I print them on end it actually improves the print quality substantially on the outer curve (although it does increase cleanup of stringing quite a bit).

Also, here is the updated glovebox door after a trip to Home Despot and quite a bit more sanding and a different paint choice.

Door2ndver.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

I have to thank you actually. This whole thing got me thinking about the angle I print at for the air vents, which let me realize if I print them on end it actually improves the print quality substantially on the outer curve (although it does increase cleanup of stringing quite a bit).

Also, here is the updated glovebox door after a trip to Home Despot and quite a bit more sanding and a different paint choice.

Cool. I'm happy to hear that. :)    

I wonder if Evercoat's FeatherFill would work with it?

• Like 2

Me and Datwifey scanned the 521 glove box insert and printed a new one.  This is version V1 no notch or second hole for the door stop thing.  The V2 is coming out of the printer tomorrow and has some sizing updates and should be correct.  We work together in the 3D print shop at work 2 days a week.  Can't wait to see if it fits!!  We want to add a light.  If any of you guys have any good glove box light ideas let me know.  

WR7C3nB.jpeg

fhad94A.jpeg

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

Me and Datwifey scanned the 521 glove box insert and printed a new one.  This is version V1 no notch or second hole for the door stop thing.  The V2 is coming out of the printer tomorrow and has some sizing updates and should be correct.  We work together in the 3D print shop at work 2 days a week.  Can't wait to see if it fits!!  We want to add a light.  If any of you guys have any good glove box light ideas let me know.  

WR7C3nB.jpeg

fhad94A.jpeg

That looks amazing. Given how large that is though I'd think if you ever wanted to make more than one or two you'd have to use it as a part of a mold (vac forming maybe?) or something like that. I always assumed for the cardboard they used for the inserts they got them wet or something similar and pressed them into a 2 part mold and then added all the other little bits.

For the light, I'd grab something out of a mid 80s Mercedes. They slide into a simple rectangular cut out on their glove boxes, they are all one piece, and you can easily replace the light with an LED. They are under $20 on Ebay brand new. Actually given how simple they are (bent piece of metal and some clear plastic) you might be able to build a copy into the box and just cut and bend up some sheet metal or even aluminum foil would work given the tiny power draw. (i.e., make a channel or guide you fold aluminum foil into or around a plastic center to form the "wire").

s-l400.jpg

57_6f337e96-967e-4f1e-ba19-aafa9ec5299a_1024x1024.jpg?v=1621689793

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393481434415?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D241224%26meid%3D2da4be0f95194857a7f2f37db65d6992%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D402407343875%26itm%3D393481434415%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv9PairwiseWebMskuAspectsV202110NoVariantSeedKnnRecallV1BERT&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A3934814344152da4be0f95194857a7f2f37db65d6992|enc%3AAQAHAAABIEro4ql1SUJ1li87bKftud%2BHNR6f%2BZqZvMWaqvYIq1S%2FWkIBqj9FQDQRu6mAcNzuioXWUR932%2F68tDooavd6O6RJ2uzxuaCWHkNV3QWJU14oo5S95h4moAP19v08qOJnoHhwJ4dvOFDkwnLwS%2FdMPnFQOrkG40XS8LWhDUZV5DNcdV9CIGDh5WdfB8%2BLMFBERywt9mcQ3vqwmEOpmoTTyubiBpeF4i6PV%2FgX9%2B3v7tiCfncJn9TYJarRdYFtxOW7ejTweYa0TNqfrIm21aXqFz0tCITqJepG8m23c7wiZfAoQnlb5fN9CQPvTR%2Fs0VmxIufpH3FT3DjteTKPrggwLYv4srif5et%2FgifwOnDzf04tvVSNQd8nK24CWIKiM6QLHg%3D%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2

If you're going to print the final in that white, I'd think that those LED light strips(battery powered) on the outside facing inward would make the interior "glow" and look pretty cool......with no hole to deal with.  Put them on 3 sides or wrap them all the way around. :)

.....and if the first print doesn't fit, print a base for it that will mount with the holes you have in it......they stuff the inside with the LED strip lights....with a remote....then put it in your house as a mood light......or night light......or in the window with all red lights to make the neighbors wonder what's going on. LOL  Hmmm.....maybe your a bit young to get the "red light" reference. 😉

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

If you're going to print the final in that white, I'd think that those LED light strips(battery powered) on the outside facing inward would make the interior "glow" and look pretty cool......with no hole to deal with.  Put them on 3 sides or wrap them all the way around. :)

.....and if the first print doesn't fit, print a base for it that will mount with the holes you have in it......they stuff the inside with the LED strip lights....with a remote....then put it in your house as a mood light......or night light......or in the window with all red lights to make the neighbors wonder what's going on. LOL  Hmmm.....maybe your a bit young to get the "red light" reference. 😉

That is a brilliant idea about using the whole box as a diffuser if printed in an appropriately light color. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

I only get one or two ideas a year.....post pics if you do it. :)

I only get one or two GOOD ideas a year, I get about 800 BAD to really BAD ideas though... knowing the difference between the two is another matter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

I only get one or two GOOD ideas a year, I get about 800 BAD to really BAD ideas though... knowing the difference between the two is another matter.

XaTGzfl.jpg

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun 3D printer go brrrrr....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Damn, what a difference print angle makes. I also made some changes to the backside of the piece to make it print vertically much better and about an hour quicker. I also added in the finger grip area above the opening knob slot that was missing in the previous version.

It will need a bit more cleanup and sanding to flatten the joining part but better overall. Color change is due to running out of filament.

image.jpeg.d3dda06a7b3114e365f5a1720eb87d3f.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 6

Figured out a different printing angle that does away with the need to flatten the joint. This is fresh off the printer in black PETG with no cleanup outside of raft removal and ready to use. Total print time in PETG is 27 hrs and it uses about 300 grams of filament. This is the 5th one in total I've printed including the prototypes and is effectively finalized at this point.

image.jpeg.0f3975896473dcd0e0f7ad422615e627.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 5

success!!!  Now we are working on a light 🙂  I'm thinking about starting an account on Thingyverse so I can upload all the fun stuff we print.  Does anyone have a 521 delete plate I could borrow?  

Cxo9eUC.jpeg

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Icehouse said:

success!!!  Now we are working on a light 🙂  I'm thinking about starting an account on Thingyverse so I can upload all the fun stuff we print.  Does anyone have a 521 delete plate I could borrow?  

Cxo9eUC.jpeg

"Does anyone have a 521 delete plate I could borrow?"

There are resin copies of those floating around. Not sure if they are still for sale. I've been tempted to make a mold and cast some myself but I don't have a personal use for it and I didn't want to step on someone's toes if they are making them  (I know where I could likely borrow one of the castings). If they are no longer being produced I'll see about tracking one down and making a run of them. 

Note: for other people I have files for both 1200 and 620 radio delete plates 3D printed and laser cut (pictures somewhere in this thread).

• Like 3

I haven't seen the guy that did the cast versions of the delete plate in a long time......but I'm not on ratsun much anymore.  I wouldn't mind have the file for the 521 version.  It's one of those things I'd like to machine at some point. lol  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

I haven't seen the guy that did the cast versions of the delete plate in a long time......but I'm not on ratsun much anymore.  I wouldn't mind have the file for the 521 version.  It's one of those things I'd like to machine at some point. lol  

Resin casting gives a better result, is fundamentally easier, and quicker, although more expensive for the initial materials for the mold making. Individual casts, depending on size, are pretty inexpensive. 

3D printing (at least by FDM not Resin) gives a poorer result, takes longer, but is cheaper for the setup and as it is digital can be sent out to other people. But it requires designing a model, OR having a good 3D scanning setup and the ability to cleanup your model.

I have done loads of both.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
On 8/24/2022 at 5:22 AM, mklotz70 said:

I have the 1200 GB cover modeled, just haven't ran the program yet. Billet Glove Box covers are cool but people refuse to pay what it takes to make them.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

I have the 1200 GB cover modeled, just haven't ran the program yet. Billet Glove Box covers are cool but people refuse to pay what it takes to make them.

Yep.....I've only been interested in doing the radio delete plate for myself.....I have a special reason/project for it. :)

• Like 3
On 8/25/2022 at 1:55 PM, Mattndew76 said:

Billet glove box cover seems like it would be super heavy though, maybe if very hogged out. Yeah I can imagine it being super expensive. 

Although, this now has me thinking about if a mold was made  to make stamped metal covers, which could be done with 3D printing actually... hmm

• Like 2