3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

5 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Datsun related. Prototype screw in funnel copied from one I saw for sale. Printed in PETG which is supposedly OIL resistant.

Fits KA, but not Z or L series (same thread but it is very tight as the L uses deeper thread root and very slightly smaller barrel). Should fit SR20 and RB too I guess. I dug out an old A series cover and I'm going to redesign the end to fit (much larger so easy to do off this model, this should also fit early L series covers).

276028747_1817222398467179_9075434088272398953_n.jpg

276013813_1390996228040164_4056776170222474826_n.jpg

275764720_373707227902789_1238209429343836804_n.jpg

276947587_1157036235086464_8788694035166210740_n.jpg

For anyone who feels like printing this, I've uploaded the STL file here, released under a CC 3.0 license as it is a remix of someone else's work.

Still need to take some measurements to make the other one.

funnelNissanVentV2.stl

• Like 2
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

For anyone who feels like printing this, I've uploaded the STL file here, released under a CC 3.0 license as it is a remix of someone else's work.

Still need to take some measurements to make the other one.

funnelNissanVentV2.stl 304.67 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for that 🙂

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Thanks for that 🙂

From my measurements if you scale at 92% on the x and y but NOT the Z it should also fit an L series thread but I have not tested it.

• Like 2

A and early L series done.

Heavily modified from original file. Released under CC3.0.  So free to print just don't sell.

Feel free to modify. Printed at 0.28 and 15% infill. Thickness could be reduced as this thing is very sturdy in PETG. It takes about 5-6hrs to print for me. 

277216559_642578940377480_6422081699618390578_n.jpg

277336738_959948257990443_491905563201430396_n.jpg

277318747_3228699864076896_5842936524689150021_n.jpg

277406314_694951564984347_4993160790776359156_n.jpg

A Series funnel v5-taller.stl

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 7
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the emblems on my 1200 are coated in paint and all are broken (were glued on with silicone). 

The side ones are on thingiverse (printed and glued these on) but the coupe trunk emblem is not available. With the KA24E upgrade had to update it too. So I designed a new Datsun 2400 emblem. Went through a couple of versions before getting it to were I liked it. Will upload a STL if anyone wants it. Quite a bit of 3D printed parts on the KA24 1200 at this point.

datsun2400.jpg

• Like 5
On 5/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, Dguy210 said:

So the emblems on my 1200 are coated in paint and all are broken (were glued on with silicone). 

The side ones are on thingiverse (printed and glued these on) but the coupe trunk emblem is not available. With the KA24E upgrade had to update it too. So I designed a new Datsun 2400 emblem. Went through a couple of versions before getting it to were I liked it. Will upload a STL if anyone wants it. Quite a bit of 3D printed parts on the KA24 1200 at this point.

datsun2400.jpg

1200 - Copy.jpg

Edit file added because, why the hell not.

thicker Datsun2400 NEw.stl

Datsun 1200 rear quarter baged.stl

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3

1. Has anyone made a model for the 1200 glove box door?

Would likely have to be split into multiple parts due to size but it seems to be a relatively complex shape so not the easiest to model.

2. I'm considering sharing the 1200 vent coupe STL file, with the caveat for personal use only, not for resale. Not at all perfect but OKish. Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1

Glove box door would be cool. The knob would be even cooler. I may have a door laying around if you need a sample. Haven't opened my glove box door since I out it on (that includes both 1200's.

I need to start looking into a printer. Then I may need to look into getting a job.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

1. Has anyone made a model for the 1200 glove box door?

Would likely have to be split into multiple parts due to size but it seems to be a relatively complex shape so not the easiest to model.

2. I'm considering sharing the 1200 vent coupe STL file, with the caveat for personal use only, not for resale. Not at all perfect but OKish. Would anyone be interested in something like this?

The outer glove box 'skin' would be cool to model and print. I don't know how difficult it would be when compared to the vents you did. 🙂

• Like 2
8 hours ago, KELMO said:

Glove box door would be cool. The knob would be even cooler. I may have a door laying around if you need a sample. Haven't opened my glove box door since I out it on (that includes both 1200's.

I need to start looking into a printer. Then I may need to look into getting a job.

This shouldn't be too difficult. Although I don't know how it attaches to the actual latch itself.

7 hours ago, Draker said:

The outer glove box 'skin' would be cool to model and print. I don't know how difficult it would be when compared to the vents you did. 🙂

Difficult. Mine is pretty rotten but had enough of the edges to take measurements. It is a really odd shape with odd curves to it and is kind of a pain to even get a good measure on. I've misplaced my notebook where those measurements are written down for the time being but it kind of went into the "this looks to be a pain in the ass at my skill level" type of modeling. 

• Like 1
On 5/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, Dguy210 said:

Difficult. Mine is pretty rotten but had enough of the edges to take measurements. It is a really odd shape with odd curves to it and is kind of a pain to even get a good measure on. I've misplaced my notebook where those measurements are written down for the time being but it kind of went into the "this looks to be a pain in the ass at my skill level" type of modeling. 

Well evidently this happened....

gloveboxdoor.png

• Like 1
On 5/30/2022 at 3:20 AM, mklotz70 said:

????......looks like it just needs scaled to the correct size.....provided your printer is big enough for the door.

That is already scaled to the correct size. I was going to split it into 2 pieces. I guess I technically could print it at 1 piece if I got clever with the angles and printed it on the diagonal for x,y and on on diagonal upright for z, but it would need stupid amounts of support to do so.

I'm test printing the ends currently to see how well they match. It has some very subtle and complex geometry, for instance the top and bottom are NOT parallel.

Edit: Test print showed I have some of the sizing off and the angles way too steep.

Edit 2: found a broken piece of the door and realized I had missed the finger grip area above the knob. Weirdly the knob on mine is in perfect shape.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well my kid was able to get a free Roomba that was not working. A new battery and some minor fixing and we now have it working.

So of course this had to be done, new print in flat OD green filament.

Boomba achieved. 

boomba-achieved.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Rebuilt from the ground up 1200 Glovebox door. Going to print ends and test fit. I already know the outline is correct though. Ended up taking the door apart, scanning the metal part, then drawing an outline over that in Illustrator and then exporting that. Did a test laser cut on the outline also to check sizing and ended up fixing a tiny bump in the outline too.

image.png.aa9f3ece664f84195aadb149826671ac.png

lasercutdoor---Copy - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4

Test print. I think I'm going to make it taller by about 1mm to give a bit more overhang on the edges. Also, need to do some editing on the underside to clearance some of the holes and the stamped sheet metal a bit better. Print takes about 13 hours and that is with 10% infill, no generated support, and the underside mostly hollowed out except for some manually strategically placed removable supports for the overhangs. I had to split it into two pieces to get it fit on the build plate (only printed one side, both sides is a 23 hr print). Printing each side separately is slightly faster and a bit cleaner too. I'm still not super happy about how that rounded edge comes out as far as replicating the original angle but it is a very complex shape to model. When I get it finalized I'll probably add some kind of snap together connector for the two halves.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dd44becac82515c89f255e2c9fe9fc0.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
On 7/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, Dguy210 said:

Well my kid was able to get a free Roomba that was not working. A new battery and some minor fixing and we now have it working.

So of course this had to be done, new print in flat OD green filament.

Boomba achieved. 

boomba-achieved.jpg

Glory to the boomba lol

I picked up an ender 3 for real cheap recently, running some test prints in tpu atm 

• Like 2
On 8/7/2022 at 1:33 PM, Skib said:

Glory to the boomba lol

I picked up an ender 3 for real cheap recently, running some test prints in tpu atm 

I really like the Creality printers personally. Been very happy with the CR10V2, bigger build plates make things so much easier. I bought and tested some TPU but don't really have anything in the queue that needs it right away. 

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

I really like the Creality printers personally. Been very happy with the CR10V2, bigger build plates make things so much easier. I bought and tested some TPU been don't really have anything in the queue that needs it right away. 

I added some upgrades right out of the gate and its been great so far.

Prints TPU no problem. Iv got some more interesting things like Polycarbonate Im going to run threw it. cuz printer go brrrrr.

• Like 3

Sort of out of sandpaper so only minimal sanding done. I might go back and re-sand this to get rid of the layer lines a bit better (these show up way more strongly in the picture than in real life). Tried messing with some paint techniques to replicate the plastic texture the original had. 

I'll probably make a few minor revisions to the model as there were a few spots on the backside that needed a bit of clearancing and work still. I probably should design and print another knob too just to complete this.  This model takes forever to print and requires some fiddling. Literally 24 hours of printing in this one. Very much not worth printing and selling these at all. This would be much better if I had a printer that was capable of printing this all in one piece (such as a CR30 conveyor belt printer) but they run about $1000. 

gloveboxBl.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2