3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

Print out the 510 front trim plastic endcaps for the hood trim and the eyebrows.  Almost every car would need a set of 4.  

I believe they are right and left hand specific, but not 100% sure.

!B92jYmQ!2k~$(KGrHqN,!k0Ey+jC1sigBM6+chq

• Like 1
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some years were open, some years closed. same goes for the lower sill trim.

Mine are open on both the eyebrow and hood.

They only press fit into the trim. They are incredibly easy to scan and make. I just dont have the printer/scanner. I would happily pay for them.

• Like 1

They're simple but small. Delrin would be a nicer material to make them out of because of strength, uv rating, and texture/finish.

But I dont have any to send out! I needz um bad.

The outer edge would be difficult though. Its a very small step the thickness of the trim. I would think this 1-1.5mm would be prone to chipping. The rest can be close enough, as it is hidden by the trim when you insert it.

I would actually rather epoxy it inplace than rely on the press fit.

• Like 1

I also wanted the poster to pm me so I could give him the idea of printing out the stock tachometer faceplate and bezel. Figure out how to mount a simple cheap tach up to it. And profit the fuck out of it. But he did not reply, so now the idea is let out of the bag!

• Like 1

I also wanted the poster to pm me so I could give him the idea of printing out the stock tachometer faceplate and bezel. Figure out how to mount a simple cheap tach up to it. And profit the fuck out of it. But he did not reply, so now the idea is let out of the bag!

Huh, must have missed that reading on the phone (no internet at my place).

Doesn't matter, I'm 600 miles away from my printer currently.

Interesting idea though, but I've found there is very little profit in making Datsun parts, especially model/year specific. Usually lucky if I break even and that is not counting my time at all.

• Like 2

I totally get that. I do alot of one off things for my customers that only pays off in good reputation/repeat business.

Both the tach faceplate and housing is to large for conventional scanners, so there would def. be time put in to get them right.

But the material is dirt cheap, a tach is simple to mount, and the mount can be incorporated into the back of the new faceplate. They are also pretty cheap.

I would say 20 hours time max (not including print time), 30-40 bucks in materials, 12-20 shipping.

Most any 510 guy will buy a factory looking tach that performs like new, for $100-150.00 Seeing that stock ones regularly sell for 250-350.00

I think its a money maker. Shit, post it on the Realm and you'll be rich!! :)

• Like 2

I totally get that. I do alot of one off things for my customers that only pays off in good reputation/repeat business.

Both the tach faceplate and housing is to large for conventional scanners, so there would def. be time put in to get them right.

But the material is dirt cheap, a tach is simple to mount, and the mount can be incorporated into the back of the new faceplate. They are also pretty cheap.

I would say 20 hours time max (not including print time), 30-40 bucks in materials, 12-20 shipping.

Most any 510 guy will buy a factory looking tach that performs like new, for $100-150.00 Seeing that stock ones regularly sell for 250-350.00

I think its a money maker. Shit, post it on the Realm and you'll be rich!! :)

Making the bezel is the easy part actually, I probably wouldn't bother printing it as it would be easier and come out nicer as a casting. The hard part is the clear cover, sourcing a tach to fit, and printing a good looking face plate, even then most people will still want an original. The prices you have quoted are low, trust me when I say that double those and you will be closer. You need to factor in how many tachs did you have to go through to find one that fit well and was reliable. How many prototypes that didn't look right etc... and after all that what is the size of your market? How many units will you sell? For example: let's say it costs 60$ to build and sell cost (which is too low frankly), you sell for 100$ for a profit of 40$. How many do you have to sell to break even on the initial start up costs? What about your time? So let's say it took 20 hours to make and another 1 hour to build each one. So let's say you sell 10. 10*40=400 @ 20hrs + 10 hrs= 30hrs so 400/30=13.3$ per hour. And those are really best case scenario numbers. Selling 10 is hard and will take a while. If you increase the cost it becomes harder to sell and people want it to be more "perfect". What if one stops working or gets lost in the mail and you need to replace it (both things I've had happen), you just went to 400-60/31=10.96$ per hour. Also, people will complain about it, need help installing, ask why shipping is so slow, try to negotiate price, etc... Congrats you just spent your hobby time making slightly above minimum wage. This is why I only build stuff on rare occasions and in small batches usually just so people will have it not for profit, the numbers just don't work out unless you can outsource production and have a large market to sell enough units, or you make a very professional product that no one else does and you can charge a good amount for it.

• Like 2

So I reread my post and I realize it comes off as very negative. That's not my intention, I just suggest that you don't go in to making Datsun parts expecting a profit. Do it because you want those parts to exist or you're building them for a friend.

• Like 3

Agree on both posts.  More so with the second.  Its totally about making something not available, available.  

For the love :)

Coming off negative sounding talking about the reality of the situation needs no apologies.  Its life, and its tough.  Deal with it!

Would love to have a printer to f around with!

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...