3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For anyone that might be curious this piece shrank after curing by L 1.51mm x W 1mm.

This was printed using a high temp PLA material. After printing and cooling, it requires curing at around 150F for about 5 minutes. 

After curing the temperature resistance is much higher than standard PLA. Manufacture claims 190F. I'd say probably around 175F to be safe.

• Like 2

For anyone that might be curious this piece shrank after curing by L 1.51mm x W 1mm.

This was printed using a high temp PLA material. After printing and cooling, it requires curing at around 150F for about 5 minutes.

After curing the temperature resistance is much higher than standard PLA. Manufacture claims 190F. I'd say probably around 175F to be safe.

Neat!
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Haven't done much with the 3D printer lately due to moving and it not being setup. I finally got it back and working and had to re-christen it somehow. So I made this:

M8t4d6N.jpg

It's pretty big, for scale:

xfthU06.jpg

Still a rough version I designed, I've still got some tweaking to do to the model for size and to correct some problems with the crossbar and how it is aligned. 

• Like 4

What materials does the new laser cutter work on?

Cuts plastic (acrylic), wood, leather, and some other stuff. Engraves glass and stone too.

Doesn't cut or engrave metal, but you CAN do marking on metal using something like Cerromark and it will evidently mark anodized aluminum (haven't tried it).

Lots of limits on the types of plastics due to chemical composition (i.e., it cuts them but they make hazardous/corrosive gases).

Edit: The Ratsun badge above took less than 10 minutes to make.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This script looks similar in size and scale to the fender script for a 521. Is it? Is it possible these might one day be offered for sale? Would a chrome stock-like finish be possible?

PS: We met briefly at the Pare show just before his unfortunate demise.... I drove my 320 up there. I enjoyed meeting you. Hope your move and new position has worked out well for you.

M8t4d6N.jpg

• Like 3

This script looks similar in size and scale to the fender script for a 521. Is it? Is it possible these might one day be offered for sale? Would a chrome stock-like finish be possible?

PS: We met briefly at the Pare show just before his unfortunate demise.... I drove my 320 up there. I enjoyed meeting you. Hope your move and new position has worked out well for you.

Script is eyeballed to be similar to that on a 510. I probably won't make these to sell, I've sold badges in the past and it is just not the worth the time and effort. There is not easy way to make these have a chrome stock-like finish, at least not that I can do.

If I do make these to sell, I will likely make a good master, cast a silicone mold, and then cast them out of a low-melt alloy (tin+bismuth) as they would be metal and shine-able then. 

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

M8t4d6N.jpg

A  little black around the letters [varies by usage] and the "Gold /Brass" finish and you could sell these to PL411 trunk and fender or R411 variants as fender only estuchens !  Look just like my RL411 fender emblems but with my "DATSUN" markings.  Now to be sure the rear mounted pins are the correct spacing.  BTW, the PL411 trunk lid and fender pin spacing are the same as the RL411 fender units.  Hope you strike gold with this, the Nissan Tennese model RL411 needs one of these with the "DATSUN 1600" variant for their trunk lid.  They currently have a PL411 trunk emblem.  Original owner must have ordered a replacement 411 trunk emblem and the parts person didn't scroll to the end of the "Red Book" and see the RL vs PL parts list.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So I made some more things, thinking of bringing them to Canby to sell...

Most is not my artwork though so I'm not so sure how I feel about that.

6pia0Knm.jpg

vGBHDsSm.jpg

dKm0X2vm.jpg

vsnOE16m.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Approximately Hotwheels sized (not scaled), just screwing around more than anything with a new 3D printer to replace my old worn out one. Might need to reprint with colored filament or sand & paint.

killdozersmall.jpg.b6cde798f62469b56f103cd5a41fbb1f.jpg

Yes, I'm aware the treads aren't quite right for a Komatsu D355A. If I can find a good R/C bulldozer base I might reprint at larger scale the top shell and make an R/C controlled version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Approximately Hotwheels sized (not scaled), just screwing around more than anything with a new 3D printer to replace my old worn out one. Might need to reprint with colored filament or sand & paint.

killdozersmall.jpg.b6cde798f62469b56f103cd5a41fbb1f.jpg

Yes, I'm aware the treads aren't quite right for a Komatsu D355A. If I can find a good R/C bulldozer base I might reprint at larger scale the top shell and make an R/C controlled version.

Thats an impressive print!

• Like 2