3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dash gauge pod and crack cover test for the 1200. I designed it initially as a single pod as proof of concept (hence ugly looking side and no real clean up). Mostly it is a flat bracket that stuff can be attached to that mounts to the back screw. Yanking on this showed it to be surprisingly sturdy. Could be modified easily to 2-3 gauge pod or phone holder (what I actually intend). Picture with red test piece shows the very common crack it covers up.

image.thumb.png.880032c884b4f75110486a66edc7e5cd.pngimage.png.646a2e99f69341b11d79be8791c90cbf.pngimage.thumb.png.b83a76f5475cdc6bb5c09ea68a60d3af.png

testpieceandcrack - Copy.jpg

dash4 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 5
On 9/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, Dguy210 said:

Dash gauge pod and crack cover test for the 1200. I designed it initially as a single pod as proof of concept (hence ugly looking side and no real clean up). Mostly it is a flat bracket that stuff can be attached to that mounts to the back screw. Yanking on this showed it to be surprisingly sturdy. Could be modified easily to 2-3 gauge pod or phone holder (what I actually intend). Picture with red test piece shows the very common crack it covers up.

image.thumb.png.880032c884b4f75110486a66edc7e5cd.pngimage.png.646a2e99f69341b11d79be8791c90cbf.pngimage.thumb.png.b83a76f5475cdc6bb5c09ea68a60d3af.png

The only thing I would suggest is angle the gauge pod towards the driver to make it easier to read. Looks good though.you could also enclose the back on the final product and use the crack to run the power and signal wires down into the dash.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

The only thing I would suggest is angle the gauge pod towards the driver to make it easier to read. Looks good though.you could also enclose the back on the final product and use the crack to run the power and signal wires down into the dash.

Yeah, that was something I considered but didn't want to deal with in this iteration yet. Mostly this was the initial test piece, I actually have a full 3 gauge angled pod design that I was going to merge with that bracket but wanted to see if the idea had any initial merit before running a super long print like that.  I do have a back plate for that particular design already. I'd just run the wires down the back of the heater vent most likely anyways as it is super easy to access.

• Like 2
On 10/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Dguy210 said:

Yeah, that was something I considered but didn't want to deal with in this iteration yet. Mostly this was the initial test piece, I actually have a full 3 gauge angled pod design that I was going to merge with that bracket but wanted to see if the idea had any initial merit before running a super long print like that.  I do have a back plate for that particular design already. I'd just run the wires down the back of the heater vent most likely anyways as it is super easy to access.

You got this covered. Going to look great. 

• Like 1

I saved 150 bucks by spending hours and hours working on this adapter.  Uses a 18-20v dewalt adapter which has the circuit to shut down the lithium battery before it hurts a cell.  Then I hooked that to the top of a bad battery.  Still need to do one more print to fix the last couple issues.  I need to make a Thingy verse account so others can make one.  

G2WMFfe.jpeg

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Skib said:

Got some PollyTerra PLA from Polymaker for prototype fitting and man it prints way nicer than what it was intended for lol

IMG_20221006_213622_945.jpg

Lol, it is good stuff but expensive. What I bought for that army green for the second claymore. I'm saving the rest of the roll for cool stuff.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Dguy210 said:

Lol, it is good stuff but expensive. What I bought for that army green for the second claymore. I'm saving the rest of the roll for cool stuff.

was only $20 a roll on amazon

lol almost feel bad, the prints are coming out so nice...

for a print I'm literally printing to test fit and throw away 😂

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Skib said:

was only $20 a roll on amazon

lol almost feel bad, the prints are coming out so nice...

for a print I'm literally printing to test fit and throw away 😂

huh, I checked my order, $21 from Amazon. Some reason I thought it was closer to $30 a roll. Might need to buy some more.

The IIID max filament has been a bit hit-miss, the good roll of PETG has been great but just had a bad roll of New Army Green (inconsistent size of filament, had noticeable bumps about halfway through) clogged a nozzle bad enough to need to replace it and ruined the print. I have to see if it was just that roll or if the whole lot of that color (had 2 of that color).

• Sad 1

Newer version, grey PETG, now with 15 degree tilt to driver and some other minor mods. Being a bit lazy so haven't installed it yet.

2126366873_pod1-Copy.thumb.jpg.7c7c7350ee5808cfacd39b7bfc74debb.jpg

pod3 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 7
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jskinny said:

I've found this site useful a time or two, especially for picking up a cheap roll of filament for test prints, mostly Amazon links.

https://3dprintingdeals.com/

Lol, that site is good and very dangerous, way too easy to find "good deals".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bonvo here on the forums asked me to help him make a 1:1 film accurate power rangers helmet.

Screenshot_20221128-184101_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fea99c37aa02cbb45898ebc701356acd.jpg

Printed on polyterra pla, on my ender 3 at .2mm layer hight... and is coming out smooooth.

38hrs print time on that part... will be 169hrs total for the whole helmet.

• Like 3