3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing that.  I'll have to come up with a lot more to print before I put out that kind of money. Thanks.

lol mine are running almost 24/7

I'm already figuring out where I can stick a second one so I don't have to wait for a print to finish to start another one.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, UnderControl said:

Neat. I need to keep being tempted by the core xy bug, instead of just getting around to enclosing what I've got.

The speed increase alone has been worth it for me.

My printers are always running and it shaves a ton of time off R&D for me.

• Like 2
On 12/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, Skib said:

The speed increase alone has been worth it for me.

My printers are always running and it shaves a ton of time off R&D for me.

That's the tough part for me, I don't print enough for speed to be as big of an issue as limiting what material I'm willing to print with on an open air machine in my small office.

56 minutes ago, UnderControl said:

That's the tough part for me, I don't print enough for speed to be as big of an issue as limiting what material I'm willing to print with on an open air machine in my small office.

The xmax has a charcoal filter and vent fan to the outside of the chamber, so far printing ASA its not bad but I can still smell it.

So Ill be running a duct from that threw another HEPA filter for good measure and venting it outside. 

My office is small and I don't want to smell any materials lol

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Skib said:

The xmax has a charcoal filter and vent fan to the outside of the chamber, so far printing ASA its not bad but I can still smell it.

So Ill be running a duct from that threw another HEPA filter for good measure and venting it outside. 

My office is small and I don't want to smell any materials lol

ASA fumes are slightly toxic too. Vent that stuff asap.

Extra filters should be in tomorrow. got vent parts already printed.

Fan on the machine has charcoal before it and will blow threw a HEPA filter out to a 1-3/4 duct tube to another 120mm fan with a HEPA filter to the outside.

And I'm going to seal all the door and top cover edges with some 1/8in thick weather strip foam and see how that all does. 

In theory that should make it much closer to a negative pressure in the chamber.

At least be sealed enough to keep the smell out, cuz Iv got some way worse shit to build with than ASA lol 

• Like 1

So far my biggest gripe with the xmax is the factory spool holder is mounted to the back. 

Its a bitch to get at, change, and you can't keep an eye on your filament level...

Overall a stupid oversight. 

But so far its been pretty easy to swap it to feeding out of one of my dry boxes.

I added a center fitting to run a bowden tube directly into the box. Mainly because I plan on running one XL spool of ASA in there.

20231220_171039.jpg

• Like 4

Finally getting around to building this for the 510 (Aaron Datsun's design). Might see if I can laser cut and bend up a clear plastic faceplate for it...image.jpeg.f7d8738895ae450ffa7f0267c0a8d28d.jpeg

Edit: I now have this assembled with tach guts installed and tested. NO instructions I could find so just sort of winged it. Still need to print out the needle.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 7

Oh whoops.  I didn't know we had a 3d printing thread.  I just posted a whole new thread that was pretty strongly related and probably could have been posted in here.

The idea was that I think it would be a cheap and quick way to make replacement headlight retaining rings if there were an accessible .stl file of them.  But, I haven't started learning 3D modeling, yet.  I have, however, had a retaining ring critically fail recently.  I'd be willing to commission an .stl file, if somebody else would like to make it or has a good scanner that can do it up quickly.  Otherwise, I've suddenly got some motivation to learn 3D modeling.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ramen tamer said:

Oh whoops.  I didn't know we had a 3d printing thread.  I just posted a whole new thread that was pretty strongly related and probably could have been posted in here.

The idea was that I think it would be a cheap and quick way to make replacement headlight retaining rings if there were an accessible .stl file of them.  But, I haven't started learning 3D modeling, yet.  I have, however, had a retaining ring critically fail recently.  I'd be willing to commission an .stl file, if somebody else would like to make it or has a good scanner that can do it up quickly.  Otherwise, I've suddenly got some motivation to learn 3D modeling.

FYI probably not a great item to 3D print. 

1. Headlight rings are generic as sealed beams were set standard sizes.

2. Headlights can get hot (type depending).

3. The ring would need to be kind of thin to fit right and that would make plastic a poor choice and fragile or require a more difficult to work with plastic.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it, just probably not a great place to start. But you should learn 3D modeling as that is quite useful.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 12:05 AM, Dguy210 said:

Finally getting around to building this for the 510 (Aaron Datsun's design). Might see if I can laser cut and bend up a clear plastic faceplate for it...image.jpeg.f7d8738895ae450ffa7f0267c0a8d28d.jpeg

Edit: I now have this assembled with tach guts installed and tested. NO instructions I could find so just sort of winged it. Still need to print out the needle.

Yeah sorry The instructions were the best. Hopefully I left some links in the YouTube video. It's crazy to see it printed by someone else. I actually have quite a few laser cut acrylic plastic sheets already bent up sitting in a box for them

• Like 2
On 1/21/2024 at 6:29 PM, Aaron Datsun said:

Heck yeah, that looks great dude. Were you able to change colors for some of the parts? I had to carefully paint mine because I only had a one color printer.

I was able to change colors, I can upload the project file if anyone wants. I printed an earlier version on a different printer which I painted and was just never happy with it. Now I just need to get around to finishing up the rest of the 510...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

I was able to change colors, I can upload the project file if anyone wants. I printed an earlier version on a different printer which I painted and was just never happy with it. Now I just need to get around to finishing up the rest of the 510...

If I were to get back into working on the model I would go for a different lighting method, such as side lighting like is found on the other gauges. It was certainly a personal project that worked. I just haven't been able to work on the Datsuns much in the past 2 years because of working away from my house. Good work making it better.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

If I were to get back into working on the model I would go for a different lighting method, such as side lighting like is found on the other gauges. It was certainly a personal project that worked. I just haven't been able to work on the Datsuns much in the past 2 years because of working away from my house. Good work making it better.

For a multi-color print 3D printed light pipes (clear PETG) built into the model to take advantage of the stupidly bright leds on the tach would probably be the most elegant solution, alternatively you could probably just slot some type of fiber optic cable out of a kids toy or similar in from the back to the sides (what I'm actually planning to do).

Kudos to you BTW, It's a very nice model and I'm glad you designed it.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3