• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made my own boot screen lol

Screenshot_20221203-153915_Gallery.jpg.e49b0a74eff712c2688966cba8eed54c.jpg

But.... if you have an ender 4.2.2 board with a GD series chip... 

it appears they swapped to in as a "get what you can" during the chip shortage.

It does not jive well, or at all with marlin or your own coded firmware mods.

So I have a 4.2.7 board coming with the hope it has the proper chip in it.

• Like 6

I also wanted to get into 3d printing, and me and my old man are finally getting to it. I've got 0 experience with cad software, so its been a learning curve for me, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

I've been working on these broken vent brackets that are on my 69 dash. I don't think anyone has cad'd these up for a 69. 

2l9ts4S.jpg

ycxkFJN.png

bD67z5i.png

I still haven't printed this up yet. I'm trying separate pins first to make printing of the vents (hopefully) faster.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Skib said:

Model looks good 👍

I started about 5 years ago and taught myself Fusion 360, Its got a pretty intuitive GUI

Thanks! I first started with freecad, hated the interface and learning curve, so I'm on fusion360 now. Maybe I'll go back to freecad in the future, we will see. Learning as I go!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

Thanks! I first started with freecad, hated the interface and learning curve, so I'm on fusion360 now. Maybe I'll go back to freecad in the future, we will see. Learning as I go!

Its a great tool to have, my printer runs almost 24/7 lol the poor thing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Printed the vent. Found that my tab dimensions are a touch off than the original vent, which is fine. And I found a structural weakness in the vent tube tabs, so I fixed it and v2 is printing. 

X6ZGsJM.jpg

rxMRJxz.jpg

laKXXEk.jpg

hakFHRJ.jpg

I'm happy with how it is so far. Later down the line it'll be printed in Asa to last longer in the car.

Maybe I'll even try drawing up the vent hoses, since I only have one.

• Like 6
On 12/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, Anonymous Waffle said:

Yup exactly, PLA is all for just prototyping for me. I haven't actually looked at PETG, I'll have to take look today thanks

Other than stringing, I really like PETG over ABS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was missing a heater knob on the 1200. A new set is $45, so I made one. Technically the second knob is supposed to be blank but I decided it wasn't that big of a deal with the fan icon. I could also fill that in with wax and recast if I really cared. Also has the hole on the bottom to take the screw too. Dyed black resin with a fine steel wire fill for extra strength.

Original on the left, copy on the right. I ended up making a few of these but the cold was really playing havoc with the resin curing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8cede8f8fca90ee40adfe7cb0d49d32.jpeg

320978071_532573878936071_3990257268904407229_n.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 6
On 12/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, Draker said:

Resin print or using a mold to cast?

Mold to cast. Literally just the lid to a spray can as a form and a small amount of silicone. Hot glue on the under side to hold the original down when I made the mold and I pour the dyed resin from the top for the copy (casts upside down). The casting sprue then ends up actually strengthening the part as the underside on the original is actually hollow and the copy is only hollow at the end where it needs to be to accommodate the screw. Any flashing is also on the underside which is easy to just carve it off with a sharp knife or with a file.

Completely rinky-dink way of doing it but probably less than $5 total in materials for everything used.

Edit: Since I had to figure this out thought it might help someone else later, the machine screws holding the knobs on are M3.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Resin cast test piece for 1200/B210 visor base.

While it does work I'm not supper happy with the silicone mold for this though so will be making a new mold. 

I test mounted one of these in my 1200 and it seems strong enough but I think I'd like to do some fiberglass fabric reinforcement to improve the strength more. 

Original on left, recast on right.

326861064_1189285911706600_7440472694343318248_n.jpg

• Like 4

Some tinkering with color to get closer to the original and using a different resin to cast with. Also poured a new mold but that is still setting up. Black marks are from grime on my gloves and does clean off (almost out of gloves, been reusing some old ones). Strength testing some fully set pieces of the original cast (by trying to break some slightly miscast ones) indicate they are more than strong enough as is and definitely stronger than 50 year old plastic originals. I was able to screw in the tan colored middle one several times into my 1200 without issue.

visorbasesm.png

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The start of something. Test piece to see what needs to be changed. Polyterra PLA Charcoal Black which is very nice to print.

image.thumb.jpeg.b568b5fdfa94bc8e1f09092b7c1ef938.jpeg

Also this.... fits 1200, B210, and 620. Now in 3D printable version.

VIsorbase1200b210620.jpg

20230320_174328.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

This got moved up to the next project, going to try doing a phone scan first to make a model and produce a pair of printed ones.... unless I find a matching left one of course.

120yfendermirror.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

68 510 or all years of Blue birds.  made it shorter so it's easier to put on.  3 of my cars needed them and no way I was spened 150 bucks a set.  I scanned them at work (when we had a scanner) then used some software to get them into Solidworks then adjusted them until they fit.  

vS5yK2e.jpeg

• Like 7