3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

8 minutes ago, Skib said:

Nice, I just had a glass bed show up for one of mine.

The metal plate wasn't to flat which was fine for smaller stuff that stuck to one side or the other.

but was way to much deviation for bigger stuff lol

Dollar store picture frame glass is what I ran on my smaller old one. Cheap glass is usually pretty flat due to the inherent way it is made.

I really like the adhesion bed on the Creality but still use Aqua Net hair spray for extra hold and a raft with the PETG as most of the brands like to warp otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Billet glove box cover seems like it would be super heavy though, maybe if very hogged out. Yeah I can imagine it being super expensive. 

Although, this now has me thinking about if a mold was made  to make stamped metal covers, which could be done with 3D printing actually... hmm

it would be light weight. As much as a plastic one. Solid billet with no work done to hollow it out would be heavy.  If you stamp them you will need to heat treat the aluminum to be softer than usual. 

• Like 1
On 8/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, Mattndew76 said:

it would be light weight. As much as a plastic one. Solid billet with no work done to hollow it out would be heavy.  If you stamp them you will need to heat treat the aluminum to be softer than usual. 

I figured as much about making it hollow. I'm aware aluminum needs to be annealed to prevent cracking, but I was actually thinking light gauge steel. There has been a surprising amount done with stamping steel with the 3D printed molds. Might be some interesting challenges given the size though as I'm not sure anyone has done anything that big (which might make aluminum a better option, although something brass like might be pretty cool). Mostly just ideas swirling in my head at this point. 

I'll probably make a few changes to the glove box model, the knobs I designed do work but adding in some slot elements on the door would make those in turn easier to work with. I'm also considering adding some decorative elements into the design (cherry blossoms or something maybe, haven't decided yet). I'm currently waiting on my shipment of filament to get in as I'm almost out of black PETG at this point. 

Tentative next thing MAY be a center console... still up in the air. That would really be better off being vacuum formed but I don't have a setup for it (and I've not done it either).

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

If you want to make a product that would make you some cash.

Do a carbon fiber glove box door. Print and polish a mold. Do some Forged composite or weave. Easy in and out.  

That is a really interesting idea actually. I've never worked with carbon fiber before but have done a lot of other resin stuff. Wouldn't be hard to make a mold and maybe a skeletonized 3D printed structure for support and mounting points with a overlay of CF fabric or the chopped stuff.

Might be a fun project to learn the process of doing it. I've never bothered with CF before because I don't personally like the look of it. I've literally painted over some small parts CF stuff I had before just because I think it looks a bit cringe outside of some VERY specific circumstances. But my tastes are not other people's so might be worth it.

• Like 2

Iv got whats hopefully a final test fit part being printed of this atm.

Wr1ePli.png

The heater control panel of the S30 many times is either modified or just tossed in place of a flat plate... 

but it sits at such an angle any gauges are a bitch to see and drives me nuts.

I just modified a stock one with the gauge part origonally but Im not using any of the factory hvac so I wanted to make a whole new part

s66oSDt.jpg

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Skib said:

20 hours in, so far so good lol

Screenshot_20220905-103949_Gallery.jpg

Lol, about the same here.  Started Sunday, will finish early morning Tuesday. Figured out an angle to print in one go with PLA+ (test of new stuff I just got), tree supports are fantastic. Going to take about 1/2 roll of filament. I really should buy another UPS just for the printer. I probably should buy another printer at some point too. 

gloveboxonepiece - Copy.jpg

Next project involves printing a jig to make a flat...less flat (not my image but same jig).

DSC00120.JPG

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 5

Single piece print just to see if I could do it.

I'll need to make a minor adjustment to my printed slider knob as I made some changes in the width of the opening and the back slot to allow it to move more freely and that is the old version mocked up here (works just a bit looser than before). I made some other minor changes to the mounting of the screws and clearance on the back and widened it 5 mm so that it sits over the edge of the metal backing plate completely. Couple of minor touchups to the model now needed with that change but not anywhere that shows.

I probably won't print anymore as one piece. Very filament wasteful, takes forever, and the angled print gives slightly poorer texture on the surface. Filament is Night Gray PLA+ from IIID Max ~$14 a roll if you buy >20Kg. So $8 in plastic and about 30hrs or more there. Seems to match the faded stock plastic color pretty well without requiring paint though. I'll probably just leave it as-is, as I kind of like the "less than perfect" look it has to it which shows how it was made.

image.jpeg.cf5d1f456b25cf6b88c43119113c6ab9.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4

These are both from the same model... the only setting change was normal vs tree support.

59khZmX.png

I also got bored and made myself a clamshell since mine is broken.

qE0fWt3.png

Running what is hopefully the last test print for the gauge panel and then I can move on to those.

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

Skib I need the file for the gauge cluster.  It will fit a 260z right?  I got some gauges I need to add.  One being a boost gauge.  

depends, the 260 is the bastard child mix of 240 and 280 parts lol whats the dash look like?

40 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

260 dash is like the 280 dash 

early 260 dash too?

then nope, the 3 gauge pod wont fit. it only fits 240 dashes. the 280 dash is way different in the heater/stereo area.

the single pod for the speed hut gauges will though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Skib said:

Got my test sample in from the SLS machine.

Super stoked how it came out. I have a bunch of parts I'm going to be manufacturing like this.

Screenshot_20220916-133936_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c1bc2e7f890cb28ef44e12a9ef9e1317.jpg

Damn... that looks amazing. What company?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FoYtVHSxngR3lC%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dguy210 said:

Damn... that looks amazing. What company?

Local guy that just started up this year. But he's got an HP SLS.... those are about 500k

Its way nicer then the online hubs because I can go down in person.

And Im already scheming on how I can get one.

Desk tops are great... but SLS is fucking awesome.

wqj0IWc.png

• Like 5