3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

We have an Einstar.  Also had an Einscan Pro.

The software was written by software engineers for other software engineers to admire.  Not very intuitive to use.  And not well documented.  Luckily there are some YouTube videos that help explain it.  Also gives me the wonderful feeling of sending reports back to China.

It has a hard time with small parts.  It works brilliantly on large stuff... until you fill all the memory on your computer.  It keeps everything in RAM until it runs out and then it bogs down.  Make sure your hardware exceeds the recommended specs.  By a lot if possible.

It fails hard on parts with repetitive features.  Plan on lots of "tracking lost" errors.  I find it easier to do multiple scans and manually align them instead of relying on the software.

But other than that...  I prefer the Einstar over the Pro.  Really like the texture stuff.  I just takes lots of practice to get the results you may be looking for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks heaps for the feedback! I had seen a lot of the same comments on YouTube etc.

My laptop has heaps more performance specs than required, but still a laptop. Might need to look at options later if it doesn't keep up. I assume that a good computer is needed for any of the scanners? 

Aside from one 10x the cost what other options are there?

I had access to a Roamer arm at work.  It was so good!!!  Of coarse one day it was gone...  Now I just have to remember the good old days of scanning datto parts.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
On 5/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, Icehouse said:

I had access to a Roamer arm at work.  It was so good!!!  Of coarse one day it was gone...  Now I just have to remember the good old days of scanning datto parts.  

I used to run a NextEngine 3D about 10 yrs ago. Never even crossed my mind at the time to scan datto parts, to busy with work stuff. Also, it was a pain cleaning up meshes anyways.

Haven't even gotten around to trying to scan that 120Y mirror yet, got distracted with printing a better version of this and some other stuff. Ended up buying a bunch of casting equipment and Zamak 12 too. Kind of want to build a bigger RC version at some point.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Front 1200 Sunny Emblem. Also have a model to modify for the rear emblem too. This looks way better in person than the picture shows. May even order some conductive paint and do some electroplating if I feel like it, but will do a resin print in that case.

image.thumb.jpeg.34f0017122cf587a102fe82ef5d8e662.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3
On 5/20/2023 at 12:32 PM, Mattndew76 said:

I've seen these, compatible with my CR2 but totally incompatible with the GEEETECH THUNDER unfortunately. The Thunder is one of the early high-speed printers and also closed loop positioning. Smaller bed than the CR2 but the major speed increase for a bed slinger makes up for the downsides. Kind of like the look of some of the new inverted bed XY head high speed printers that are coming out but next major 3D printer purchase will be something multicolor most likely. Could do a retrofit on the CR2 of a 3D Chameleon as it is relatively cheap but does seem very fiddley to get setup just right. The Bambu Lab X1 seems very well setup but out of my price range for what I want to spend on a 3D printer right now.

https://www.3dchameleon.com/

• Like 1

Probably will end up as a grille badge (filament swap while printing). I'll print another and round some of the edges and do some testing sand casting with it in either Zamak 12 or Aluminum, inspired by the REZA ones that came up years ago. I am however also working on a Washington one too.

image.thumb.jpeg.792e7e20a73e21a289c0aab016de6000.jpeg

WaRisingSun - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3
On 5/22/2023 at 6:32 AM, datzenmike said:

Red circle too large. Slightly smaller would look more like a flag

On 5/22/2023 at 7:31 AM, six2ohyea said:

I agree 

That sizing is not accidental. First version (see below) had a smaller circle. The original one I am making an homage too has the bigger circle. I actually designed the first one about 2 years ago and never did anything with it. Ended up revisiting it and just remaking it from the original elements to fix some errors anyways.

image.jpeg.b9f3c6c57daeb6b9613cccb7e739d3f5.jpeg

REZA original aluminum one. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d9595f0a419e7bb6dfaf0e7ede28326.jpeg

But if the consensus is it looks better with the smaller sun, or repositioned, I'll play with the model a bit. Will also likely do a Nevada one. 

Hmm, maybe I should do a Ratsun/Wrenches logo one too....

image.jpeg.7f066bec419057d03708aa035405d729.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2

Test fit for the tach. This is designed to have threads on the back that go through the original holes for the knobs of the radio so the dash doesn't need to be cut. Backing plate sandwiches it all together and supports the tach too, tach body goes through original hole for the radio. I actually have an original 1200 tach in a box somewhere I just can't seem to find it. Might swap the colors though and go grey background black accent to better match the dash, not sure. Might also be a bit busy, some room still remaining if I want to incorporate a usb plug or something else I guess, slim radio head unit will probably go in the glove box.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c33c94385006200235f4b72d3705c0f.jpeg

• Like 5

Meh, I think I like the black background/grey accent better. Might reprint this. But all setup now. Camera blows the light up bit out a bit.

How the clamping support works (nut inserted for spacing).

image.thumb.jpeg.0465255f92a7187889cd051775f09b81.jpegimage.jpeg.669da7dabe61590ab3e3dfdf87619e6d.jpeg

image.jpeg.bb631c0e08dff3138622b4415070d649.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Print some pedal caps

Lol, I actually had totally not even noticed it was missing the one on the clutch. I guess I could print one out of TPU but you can actually still buy those new or even knockoffs for not to much money. Might make one anyways just for the hell of it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, Dguy210 said:

Now with speakers. Also playing with that front emblem still.

180823245_ve-Copy.thumb.jpg.28cc6ba2eb9cdaddb952809796e9530f.jpg1118406771_20230604_001135-Copy.thumb.jpg.858eb03f6e79c58a815a6d5da362eacd.jpg

20230604_001143 - Copy.jpg

263697186_20230604_001656-Copy.jpg.0e63a3b8310b920ee871476db3dfcaec.jpg

I made some speaker mounts just like this for 6x9s that sit in the rear parcel shelf. Good design ya got there! Looks like it fit nicely 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

Buy the download? I def can. How much to make it? 

The guy who has that on cults sells the prints themselves if you look at the listing.

"If you would like this printed, and assembled contact me

I'll print and send the parts for $30 and assemble and finish for $40"

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 3