Decrease the value of your Datsun with these simple steps...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone took this seriously, they haven't been around here much.  I mean really, its Ratsun...we are very rarely serious  or PC for that matter.  I'm just here for the fun.

Remove the stock normal door mounted mirrors and drill holes in the hood or fenders and put mirrors there.

... and hood pins. At least the holes can be welded up. (I hate women with piercings too)

What's sad is you guys are describing 80-90% of the Datsuns on here..

This is a chance for owners to take the collective temperature of other owners opinions. (without direct finger pointing) There is a case to be made that monkey see... monkey do in some of this expression of Ratsun-ness. Some things come and go out of favor and all I'm saying is that mods should not be so radical that they can't be returned to 'normal' or 'close to stock' when you are done. Just as an example an L28 swap into any 4 cylinder vehicle. The next owner is really stuck with this one-way disaster. Just about any other make of 4 or V6 can be worked with or replaced. An L6 swap is sad and anyone talking about it on Ratsun should expect scorn to be heaped on them by the membership for even thinking it. This is an extreme example but, to a much lesser degree, all these other suggestions of decreasing your Datsun's value are, while humorous, sadly a little true. Express your Ratsun-ness in  your Datsun. I embrace the painting on your canvass... it can be painted over. I do not embrace cutting the canvass out and replacing it with a square of plywood with nail holes in it..... 

• Like 5

The Datsun 521 I am currently driving arrived looking like this.  This is from my first post in the project thread.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Here is a picture of it just after delivery, in the drive way.
Arrival.jpg
Here is a close up of the right door, complete with stuff growing on it.
DoorGrowth.jpg
I spent part of the day cleaning it out, getting rid of old garbage like this, TennisRackets.jpg
Here are more pictures.
RightFront.jpg
LeftFront.jpg
Front.jpg
Here is the engine.
Engine.jpg
Engine2.jpg
I took the cam cover off, to find out where number one cylinder was timed, and it looked like this. Pretty clean, a nice surprise.
CleanValves.jpg
I did not get an alternator with this truck, but they left the bolts.
AltBolts-1.jpg

I bought this truck mainly for the parts, but I think it might have potential as a runner.
I did a compression test on the engine. All four cylinders showed 145 to 155 PSI, with the throttle closed. The throttle was stuck from the truck sitting. It was last registered in 1991.

This is my most recent post in that thread.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

It has been a while since my last post here, Ratsun has just been running and not giving me any problems.  The gas mileage did drop a little, but part of that drop was because of the cold weather, and part because of the low tire air pressure. 

I filled Ratsun today, during some running around, and put 10.101 gallons of gas in it.  a 521 has a 10.8 gallon tank.  Mileage was 22.7.

Last week, I got some chrome polish, and dug out six 521 hubcaps I had.  I chose the two best ones, and polished them, and then put them on the front wheels of Ratsun.

HubcapLf_zps6653d585.jpg

Other side.

HubcapRt_zpsbd9f4507.jpg

Later today, I put Ratsun to work, and got some hay.

Hay2_zpse8522e84.jpg

Hay1_zps74ed47d5.jpg

I think the hubcaps, kind of ties the look of the wheels together, with the chrome spoke wheels on the back.

I would like to think I have made the truck worth more.
  • Like 1

If the owners of said modified Datsuns didn't own the said Datsuns, likely half of them would have been crushed already.

Decrease the value?? Let grumpy old men hoard them only to sit and rot.

-Robert

combine these two things & you have what saved my Datsun.

the previous (and second) elderly owner thought he ought to get $900 for his wagon (now mine) while everyone else besides me wanted to pay scrap prices. some part of me said, "dude, it's a 129k mile, two owner car - put a fucking crow bar in your wallet and give the man $900!".

I feel like if I hadn't paid the old what he wanted and someone would have been able to have purchase the car at scrap price they would have beat the thing to death within a year and moved on to their next victim.

I saved my Datsun from almost certain death with above average care and it's rewarded me with exemplary service.

• Like 1

I'm guilty of a few!  In my defense, I bought the car with a roll cage, 5 angle rear view mirror and NO outside mirrors with holes filled nicely.  I could've redrilled the doors but I've never owned a car with fender mirrors so I went with it.  

If everyone drove the same car with stock everything, it would be boring.  There are tasteful mods to be done but to some people, any mod is bad.  Improvement or otherwise.  This is really the reason they make chocolate and vanilla(rocky road and chubby hubby too!).  

So get out there, experience life, mod a car, F it up, mod it again and again.  Just don't use a giant dildo as a hood ornament, and you should be fine!

wow, you really had to go looking for that. My truck didn't come with any door cards, so I'll be making custom cards anyways. No harm done. Check.

Custom cards? That'll help the value for sure, right? Why not do it right and find some nice original cards? I mean, you don't want to devalue your truck, do you?

All stick-poking aside (this was all tongue in cheek, right??), the good thing is that virtually all (if not all) of the things you noted before are 100% reversible so who cares? Even if they can't be reversed who cares?

• Like 1

Some like collar locks,some like properly done coil over,some could care less(see where that is going)

The qwerty types,need to do a little less macgoogle, and text book and a little more (enter what ever you like here)

its your ride do with it what you want,it isnt being built to please anyone but you and thi is all that matters

Custom cards? That'll help the value for sure, right? Why not do it right and find some nice original cards? I mean, you don't want to devalue your truck, do you?

All stick-poking aside (this was all tongue in cheek, right??), the good thing is that virtually all (if not all) of the things you noted before are 100% reversible so who cares? Even if they can't be reversed who cares?

See, I don't think you understand the nuanced differences. This isn't a berating of modifications. If you were looking to buy a Datsun and had two nearly identical specimens, all else being equal, would you not pay more for one without the attributes listed? My truck doesn't change value negatively because it didn't come with 'x' attribute, it only moves horizontally. It lost value to the PO who misplaced those parts. Show me which of the above adds or leaves value unchanged when buying/selling. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see original paint not primer nor even a full paint job, unless you have documentation that shows it was quality work. You ask who cares - people buying/selling, aka people interested in the value of the vehical. If you don't care about the value, why enter a thread concerning it? But yes, this was a tongue-in-cheek posting as a lighthearted warning. If nothing more, I entertained myself writing it. :P

i was expecting to perhaps get called out in here as well.

i also agree that a lot of people's mods are why they are ratsuners.

a lot of us do things on a budget, with what we got.

some of it is a little less tastless to others, but oh well. i feel the majority

of us will keep our datsuns forever so resale doesnt really matter.

also, a lot of us 'save' our vehicles from circumstances in which they are

neglected or left to rot.

• Like 3

Some like collar locks,some like properly done coil over

This implies that a $30 split collar set up is somehow not properly done... So properly done is somehow related to spending more to get the same thing? Ratsun is about doing it yourself and spending less to get the same thing or effect.

• Like 2