Blah blah blah. Guns are the devil.

Sad that the article focusses more on reasons we shouldn't have guns, than the true tragedy of lost life.

Sounds like Canberra just wants to remind your people why guns are more difficult to possess in your area. Using another tragedy to justify their agenda.

It's to early for this shit. :D

• Like 2
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama is a narcissistic fuck who has no hand in this. This is above his pay grade and worth.

^ Damn right, Obammer isn't smart enough to do something like that. He's more of a do stupid shit and fail to cover it up kind of guy, operation fast and furious comes to mind.

While he is (more or less) at the top of the political food chain I don't think he sits around grunting out an idea. It may not be as obvious with Obama but just like that simpleton Bush, he has his handlers too. Blame them some too.

Maybe the Saudis are hammering Putin for their own gain. Certainly with gas below $2 no one in 'Murica gives a shit why and Obama can crow all he wants. See what happens.

• Like 1

About obama, he is not in charge of anything, he is another puppet in a long line of puppet presidents. He is being told what to do and say. When I remember where I read the article about it I will post it.

About the shooting, all of the incidents listed in the Canberra Times are 100% avoidable. Idaho is an open carry state, Walmart follows the laws of the state they are in so open carry is not banned in their stores. This tragedy hits close to me because of what, I have for years, been telling my wife and friends, never carry a firearm in a purse. Carry it on your hip in a secure holster where it belongs!

Here is an update to the story,

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/dec/31/gun-toddler-used-shot-mom-was-purses-holster/

• Like 1

Here's my question:  Why would the gun in the purse that the 2 year old grabbed be locked and loaded?  If it was a revolver, I highly doubt the 2 year old would have the dexterity to cock the hammer and pull the trigger.  Doesn't say the caliber, I'm betting cheesy shit .22 and no safety.  Unless I'm carrying my .45 in it's holster, there isn't one in the chamber.  How long does it take to rack a shell and be ready to rock?  The .5 seconds isn't going to be the deciding factor if I'm alive or dead.  Not to mention mine has a grip safety, which again, a toddler shouldn't be able to operate easily.

• Like 1

Excerpt from the Spokesman-Reiew,

"Rutledge’s gun was a 9 mm Smith & Wesson M&P Shield semi-automatic. Pulling the trigger requires exerting 6 1/2 pounds of pressure, according to the manufacturer’s website. That would be within the grip of a small child, said Lt. Stu Miller, a department spokesman."

Excerpt from the Spokesman-Reiew,

"Rutledge’s gun was a 9 mm Smith & Wesson M&P Shield semi-automatic. Pulling the trigger requires exerting 6 1/2 pounds of pressure, according to the manufacturer’s website. That would be within the grip of a small child, said Lt. Stu Miller, a department spokesman."

And that folks is a very good reason to buy a handgun with a manual safety!  Some striker fired pistols lack this feature.

Yeah, well, it's still stupid not to have it on your person or in a spot where CHILDREN can't get it, if you're going to carry it loaded.  I feel bad for that poor kid.  He's going to be pretty fucked up well into life.

• Like 1

Won't understand what happened he has nothing to compare it to. Growing up without his mom (who he has only known a short while) or with a step mom who becomes the only mom he will know will become normal to him. Eventually he will be told what happened, maybe not, but he'll figure it out later in life. Time heals all wounds.

Pretty sure the shield has a (annoying) manual safety. One of the reasons I didnt buy one. Probably annoying enough she left it off.

*Actually they sell versions with and without safeties, but not as common.

So loaded, safety off, in a spot accessible to children.

Common denominator?

The story said that many new guns don't have normal safetys anymore, due to the preferences of shooters these days. They instead rely on strong trigger pulls.

As for it being locked and loaded, a LOT of people who carry do this. This is nothing new or surprising. I have a concealed carry permit. If someone grabs you, you aren't going to have time to use both hands to chamber a round, and you might as well be carrying a paperweight.

I have two guns with *extremely* light trigger pulls. One is My Taurus PT140, and the other is my Uberti .45 S&W revolver. With the Uberti, the slightest pull fires the round. The Taurus is slightly heavier, but easily the second lightest pull I own. But even with the Uberti, you'd still have to cock it, which is not something a 2yr old could do. With the taurus on the other hand, it's striker fired, so if a round was chambered, a 2yr old could *easily* fire a round, no question. Personally I LOVE the light trigger pull of the Taurus and the striker. Love it. BUT, it's not something to have around kids.

So I wouldn't go to say she was a bad mother for letting her kid shoot her dead, just because she was trying to protect herself and her kids, but it's a really crap circumstance that it happened. Had she either not had a gun, or not had it chambered, they would have been more vulnerable to attack, rape, abduction, etc. So there's two bad sides to the coin here. She would have been better off with a regular safety (or using one if it had one), a stronger trigger pull, a decocker, or a revolver.