Guest Rick-rat

I stand by what I said: engage in non-lethal means if possible before you start popping caps. ya'll ain't gonna sway me and I'm certain I've made no converts here but there is something about almost daily, questionable killings of the citizenry by the state in American streets that is offensive and has not been standard practice in this country until recently. It's very third-worldy, banana-republic-ish.

People are shot and killed every day, you only hear about the ones that will that get the biggest headlines, you need to take off your rose colored glasses

How much have you heard on the news about the young black man that was shot and then burned in his car during the riots in Ferguson, not much, wasn't done by a white man or a cop. Where's the uproar over this?

• Like 1
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

People are shot and killed every day, you only hear about the ones that will that get the biggest headlines, you need to take off your rose colored glasses

How much have you heard on the news about the young black man that was shot and then burned in his car during the riots in Ferguson, not much, wasn't done by a white man or a cop. Where's the uproar over this?

naw, no rose colored glasses. I know media bias exists. anyone who knows who Mona Yvette Wilson and Jesse Dirkhising are understands the incredible depth of media bias in this country.

How dare we hold Police Officers to a higher standard!

Ahh the gentle sounds of hipocrisy floating across the pacific.

Almost half of people shot dead by Australian police were mentally ill

Report says 44 out of 105 fatal shootings in the past 22 years were of people with mental illness

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/30/half-shot-police-mentally-ill

Over the weekend, Queensland police shot and killed a 51-year-old man who was allegedly armed with a knife. On Monday night, another man was shot and killed on the Gold Coast. It was the sixth Queensland police shooting in 2014 and the fourth fatal shooting in a matter of months.

http://theconversation.com/shoot-to-kill-the-use-of-lethal-force-by-police-in-australia-34578

Ahh the gentle sounds of hipocrisy floating across the pacific.   Almost half of people shot dead by Australian police were mentally illReport says 44 out of 105 fatal shootings in the past 22 years were of people with mental illness http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/30/half-shot-police-mentally-illOver the weekend, Queensland police shot and killed a 51-year-old man who was allegedly armed with a knife. On Monday night, another man was shot and killed on the Gold Coast. It was the sixth Queensland police shooting in 2014 and the fourth fatal shooting in a matter of months.http://theconversation.com/shoot-to-kill-the-use-of-lethal-force-by-police-in-australia-34578.

No hypocrisy dude, infact, quite the opposite.

Godzone country has its fair share of questionable Police shootings as you rightly point out.

This link (a bit long but paints an interesting picture) is of a Police shooting of a mentally ill person in my home town.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/shooting-victim-jonathan-crowley-pleads-for-help-20140112-30ozj.html

Thankfully we are not at the stage (yet) where a traffic stop means having a gun pointed at you by the Police.

Speaking of which, Vale and godspeed to the two NYPD members. A shitty way to go in anyones books.

• Like 2

Maybe hypocrisy is the wrong word,,, i should have used self-rightous.. You posted a link that seemed to say OUR police are outta control, but the Aussy police have no such tendencys. My links prove that your police do the same thing.. BUT,, aren't most of YOUR citizens unarmed,,,  unlike America the evil gun toters?? That would make the use of deadly force MUCH worse in your country....... Or don't you see that?

I nor anyone i have ever met in person,, has ever had a gun pointed at them by American police at a traffic stop, and most of my friends were ,when young, questionable at best. We are talking long hair, dirty clothing, somewhat mentally ill, argumentative, and pretty abrassive to say the least. Most of them including me have had law inforcement point guns at them at other times in our lives,,, none were killed by police. As like i have said before,, the first thing that went through my mind when they raised their guns at me WASN'T " i'm going to kick their ass"

;)

• Like 1

Not true Naner, I had a gun pointed at me during a traffic stop, well at the car is was in. When I went to test drive my 510 they guy that owned it blew a stop sign at about 80 and there was a cop about 3 houses down the side street. When she pulled us over he let his foot off the clutch he bped the door handle with his knee and we damn near got shot when the door opened all of a half inch. He got cuffed and put in the back of the car and I damn near got cuffed when I was questioned. Come to find out that particular officer has a bad habit of severely over reacting in situations.

Fuck the police!

Unless I am being robbed, attacked, my car was stolen, or if I in any other way need them.

But otherwise, yeah, fuck the police!

Police are like accident insurance. You pay for something hoping you never need it.

Police are like accident insurance. You pay for something hoping you never need it.

I think its more like social security.  You know, that system where you pay a bunch of money every day even though you know there will be nothing left when you need it.  

• Like 2

My best friend was pulled from a river after a bicycle accident by a civilian.  The civilian immediately administered CPR.  The Police were there within a couple of minutes.  Instead of assisting the civilian, they encouraged him to stop while they rifled through his pockets stating "how much do you want to bet we find drugs?".  A few minutes more of CPR and he came to, barely.  That's our civil servants.

My Uncle, unarmed, and without threatening the officer (while presumably either trying to dodge a DUI, or just running away from a cop with a drawn gun) was shot five times in the back through the car.  That's our civil servants at work. 

My house, burgled twice, police called twice the first time.  Just once the second.  Never saw a cop, never got a return call...  I pay taxes.  Not a trivial amount either.  I obey the law better than most I know.  Though I did get a jaywalking ticket with my wife this year...  $220 each.  I personally don't think the state would be better without cops.  But I've certainly not seen enough quality to give them a glowing commendation.  In fact, I do not believe I can recall one instance in my life where they have tipped the scales in my favor.  I'm not certain what the problem is, and I don't have a broad solution, but I know that cops employment is protected to an absurd degree, and that the Union is partially to credit (read: blame) for this.  So perhaps the protected job, and legal shield from persecution has a lot to do with it.  No man should feel above the law.  Power corrupts.  When sheriffs were "servants of the community", the mentality that accompanied them was seemingly more beneficial.  The direction the police force has been headed for the last ?years has shown fear, and actually aggression towards the public.  This leads to a panic over public image.  This leads to decisions based on media exposure, and legal cover.  Decision making that is not strictly for the people.  But rather for them self.  Now, I understand how this happens, and I can't say that I would not expect this of an entity, but I am suggesting that the people that pay their wages change the inner-workings of the force.  If a cop does something illegal or wrong, the force should not take steps to protect the officer, cover up the action, or otherwise diminish the veracity of the act.  They should be open.  It's not like they will be over-run with a competitive police force alternative.  They have the monopoly.  They need to act differently.  They need to be a servant of the people.  

I'll avoid any discussion on when to use lethal force.  I believe that it needs to be a discretionary, and available tool.  But I believe that removing their protected superman mentality will reduce the temptation to draw that weapon.  And it would be hard for anyone to argue that they don't "draw" their weapon too often...  But I'm sure you will anyway cause Internets.  

(all in the spirit of interesting debate)  

• Like 1

It should have said personal friends, (not,,  never met anyone), i didn't re-read what i posted ,, thought i edited it differently.. I also maybe should have included these were normal traffic stops NOT blowing through neighborhoods ( and stop signs WTF??)  at 80!!,, if i lived where you pulled shit like that it wouldn't be a  police weapon i would be worried aboot.... Overreacting??  You have no fuckin idea

Not true Naner, I had a gun pointed at me during a traffic stop, well at the car is was in. When I went to test drive my 510 they guy that owned it blew a stop sign at about 80 and there was a cop about 3 houses down the side street. When she pulled us over he let his foot off the clutch he bped the door handle with his knee and we damn near got shot when the door opened all of a half inch. He got cuffed and put in the back of the car and I damn near got cuffed when I was questioned. Come to find out that particular officer has a bad habit of severely over reacting in situations.

My best friend was pulled from a river after a bicycle accident by a civilian.  The civilian immediately administered CPR.  The Police were there within a couple of minutes.  Instead of assisting the civilian, they encouraged him to stop while they rifled through his pockets stating "how much do you want to bet we find drugs?".  A few minutes more of CPR and he came to, barely.  That's our civil servants.

My Uncle, unarmed, and without threatening the officer (while presumably either trying to dodge a DUI, or just running away from a cop with a drawn gun) was shot five times in the back through the car.  That's our civil servants at work. 

My house, burgled twice, police called twice the first time.  Just once the second.  Never saw a cop, never got a return call...  I pay taxes.  Not a trivial amount either.  I obey the law better than most I know.  Though I did get a jaywalking ticket with my wife this year...  $220 each.  I personally don't think the state would be better without cops.  But I've certainly not seen enough quality to give them a glowing commendation.  In fact, I do not believe I can recall one instance in my life where they have tipped the scales in my favor.  I'm not certain what the problem is, and I don't have a broad solution, but I know that cops employment is protected to an absurd degree, and that the Union is partially to credit (read: blame) for this.  So perhaps the protected job, and legal shield from persecution has a lot to do with it.  No man should feel above the law.  Power corrupts.  When sheriffs were "servants of the community", the mentality that accompanied them was seemingly more beneficial.  The direction the police force has been headed for the last ?years has shown fear, and actually aggression towards the public.  This leads to a panic over public image.  This leads to decisions based on media exposure, and legal cover.  Decision making that is not strictly for the people.  But rather for them self.  Now, I understand how this happens, and I can't say that I would not expect this of an entity, but I am suggesting that the people that pay their wages change the inner-workings of the force.  If a cop does something illegal or wrong, the force should not take steps to protect the officer, cover up the action, or otherwise diminish the veracity of the act.  They should be open.  It's not like they will be over-run with a competitive police force alternative.  They have the monopoly.  They need to act differently.  They need to be a servant of the people.  

I'll avoid any discussion on when to use lethal force.  I believe that it needs to be a discretionary, and available tool.  But I believe that removing their protected superman mentality will reduce the temptation to draw that weapon.  And it would be hard for anyone to argue that they don't "draw" their weapon too often...  But I'm sure you will anyway cause Internets.  

(all in the spirit of interesting debate)  

and this all happened in hawaii?