• 2 months later...
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/13/2022 at 8:21 PM, thisismatt said:

Just for that purpose I ordered the Ridgid high torque model when home Depot had a crazy sale with battery and charger for $119. It said there were like 700 in stock when I ordered, then they said they ran out of stock and mine was on back order for a month until they canceled it. Fffffffffff

Did my first Honda timing belt job with the Milwaukee.  I liked to cry with the ease of removing that bolt.  Ive had to let them down off the lift on 4 feet of pipe to break that sumbitch. 

7 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Did my first Honda timing belt job with the Milwaukee.  I liked to cry with the ease of removing that bolt.  Ive had to let them down off the lift on 4 feet of pipe to break that sumbitch. 

I am having mixed results with my Milwaukee impact. There hasn't been a bolt that has withstood the beast for more than a few seconds but I am about 50/50 on snapping them off. If I don't care I just let her rip. If i don't want to break the bolt i try to "tickle" them off with  a breaker bar.

25 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Home Depot finally had another deal (one that could be hacked), so I finally got the high torque Ridgid (I have a ton of their stuff/batteries)...got all my timing belt parts for the V6 last Friday also.

IMG_20221116_204437740_HDR~2_copy_1280x960.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Finally got some wobble extensions.   I didnt think I would care for them much so I got cheapies from china freight.   Used them on two different jobs today.  Duh huh  Lets see if these last

I used my whole set of them on the motor mounts in my Accord - very helpful.  Mine are S-K...so far so good.

20 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I used my whole set of them on the motor mounts in my Accord - very helpful.  Mine are S-K...so far so good.

Yes.  Its a pain in the ass to get to one of the bolts on a Pilots motor mount.  My universals are wobbly crap.  I already cant wait to try it next Pilot timing job.  Not sure if the Accord is the same.  

14 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I watched a timing job on a pilot while doing mine. Looked basically identical except way more space to work on the pilot

I think there is for sure.  Its just one bolt that I ALWAYS fight on the motor mount.  I can get it out easy peasy.  Its putting that bastard back in.  You cannot get your hand in there.  I cannot get it started without taking the ecu out.  

I watch the south main guys pilot video to do them.  lol

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, IZRL said:

Don't use them often but when you need them...you need them!

7GA30r1.jpg

Those are sexy.  Ive got some kobalt regular ones and some pittsburg flex head ones.  They come in handy so often.  I do not have any of the short ones tho.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/master-technicians-tool-set-428-piece-58154.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzA0ODg1NjAiLCJza3UiOiI1ODE1NCIsImlzIjoiMzU5Ljk5In0%3D&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20938165408&campaignid=20938165408&utm_content=158476900260&adsetid=158476900260&product=58154&store=3324&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOcq_jZY8Fe6FifbRwybV5J-d7PlNwE5-BVBCOhtM9j1H7WRt7sn35BoCFtMQAvD_BwE

Almost all my tools of any quality have left my house and gone to the shop.  All that was floating around here were some of the cheapest broke tools.  I kept getting frustrated not having something at hand when it was needed.  And it seemed if I brought something home then it was needed that second at the shop.

I bought this kit to leave at home.  It was 299 the end of November.  I never get a 25% coupon with not exclusions so I bought this.  So far, I am happy.  Screwdrivers are kinda janky but whatever, I will buy another JIS set to have here anyways.

• Like 1

I was going to show some of my most used tools but compared to what Duncan posted they seem small, very very small, yet useful. First are pokey things like awls and an upholsterers tool call a regulator, made for moving cotton padding by insertion between the threads of the weave. Great for lining up hole for bolts or screws scratching lines and even poking holes in things. Second is the bicycle spoke, great for hooking and pulling things out of nooks and crannies where even magnets can't reach. Fetched two nuts from under the intake on my wife's Nitro that a mechanic had left in there. I actually made the wooden t handled ones to lift the 16"x16" patio slabs to access the septic tank cover for cleaning the filter.

hWOnCDml.jpg  BIEgajOl.jpg

Both of these are cheap and useful, I hope this might help make someones life easier.

• Like 2
On 1/17/2024 at 8:10 PM, Duncan said:

This is really the epitome of the saying "They don't make them like they used to"

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-is-moving-a-700-ton-prewar-press-machine-halfway-1851173118

I previously worked at the Mitsubishi assembly plant in Illinois.  They moved a bigger press than that to our factory from Japan (I forget  how many tons it was, but new area needed to be added to the stamping plant to fit it).  Physical space-wise, it was probably 3-4 times as large as the one in the pictures.  It was used to stamp the entire side body of an SUV, from in front of the A-pillar to the rear  in one piece, so no splicing at the pillars.

It was shipped to New Orleans or somewhere nearby and floated on a barge up the Mississippi and offloaded near Peoria.  When they closed in 2015, that press was one of the few things they removed and took back to Japan.  Not sure how old it was when it was sent to Illinois.

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 1

What impressed me the most was it was made in 1939, and still being used today. 

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments for quite a few years, and even though the company changed hands a few times since it's inception in the late 40's, the factory still uses quite a few machines from the original factory.   The factory can put out around 250-400 guitars per day, and it's hard to even guess how many millions of parts some of them have put out..

• Like 1
On 1/18/2024 at 12:29 PM, Icehouse said:

Does this count as a tool?  Gotta store my JDM engines somehow. 

wludOKt.jpeg

that is by far the coolest engine stand I have seen 

• Like 1
On 1/19/2024 at 8:51 PM, Ranman72 said:

that is by far the coolest engine stand I have seen 

Thanks!  I've been on the hunt for 1 more cool engine.  Just can't seem to find an affordable one.  

• Like 1