New Classifieds; Improvement Suggestions only

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 

Well that's kinda the problem... will I have to expect not to expect answers (i.e. notifications to the seller) on every ad ?

With previous inline public questions, you might even have received an answer from another member about a part compatability issue or just someone that could answer up for the seller because they were familiar with the part / car, etc or knew the seller personally.  Either way you had a pretty good idea the seller saw the question, especially if he had answered others.

Not bitching !  I know everyone including mods must be having major migraines over this now...  just trying to find a compramise between old and new.

It's already been mentioned how to handle this, but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. 

Say you are looking at a 620 part in the classifieds, there is nothing to stop you from starting a thread in the 620 section asking about said part. 

The notifications thing is weird. I will see if there is a way to have Thomas turn everyones on or something. 

• Like 1

The notifications thing is weird. I will see if there is a way to have Thomas turn everyones on or something. 

I was just about to recommend this. It would be nice to have them all turned on since its a pretty subtle update and most dont know how to properly navigate through their profile settings. 

Yeah, another issue I'm having is:  I subscribe to the classifieds, but only a couple get sent to my inbox....

Sounds like you have to 'follow' each individual thread????

I here ya......I haven't had any PMs/emails

Errrrr...wait...I subscribed to some FS ads in the old classifieds?????.....ahhhhh......... :)

Mods might want to disable that 'feature' also.

Ive had no issues with subscribing to the new classifieds. I switched it up though and decided to do it via RSS.

Yeah....but no 'emails' from an OP's.... 'thread drop down question box' after you left a query.....unless he/she has enabled notifications.
Which is pretty much a non given so far.....over all

Correct?

Yeah....but no 'emails' from an OP's.... 'thread drop down question box' after you left a query.....unless he/she has enabled notifications.

Which is pretty much a non given so far.....over all

Correct?

I dont quite understand any of that.

Are you saying that since asking a question via the question tab is so new, that people are not answering your question because their notifications arent set up yet? If thats what youre talking about, then yes its a known problem. Mod team mentioned that they were going to see if they could force the notification setting so that everyone had Classifieds notifications on.

^^^^^^ banned yourself LMFAO that is funny 

what did you do to deserve that 

I posted in that thread after I said I would ban anyone posting in the thread.

I imaging just a cool down period like an officer involved shooting.

and a bit of this.

I removed the 25 post limit, and added discussion forums for the general classifieds categories (with redirects to specific classifieds sections below). The classifieds discussion forums also has a "best answer" feature, so the author or a moderator/administrator can mark best answers.

Forcing the notifications is actually a lot harder than it should be. That is to say, there's no way of doing it within ip.board except by going through each member individually. I could probably do it by directly in the database by forcing everybody's notifications to some default, but I'm not sure that everybody would be happy with that. :-/

• Like 1

Forcing the notifications is actually a lot harder than it should be. That is to say, there's no way of doing it within ip.board except by going through each member individually. I could probably do it by directly in the database by forcing everybody's notifications to some default, but I'm not sure that everybody would be happy with that. :-/

That doesn't sound too bad to me.  I'd say do it, but you could put it to a vote....or just leave it....  Who knows what kind of response you will get on here!?

Im sure the consensus would be that members wont care if those notifications are turned on. If they dont, they can just turn them off... simple. 

I don't think that would be the case at all.....unfortunately

I don't think that would be the case at all.....unfortunately

Seriously. Its a setting and not a permanent change. Plus all those that cant stand it left already... make the change behind the scenes, make a thread on how to change it back if the user wants to. Turning on notifications for everyone (only on the site notifications and not email notifications) for the classified systems will be far better than missing out on questions and people complaining over that. 

It would take ~3 clicks for a user to turn off the setting. 

Seriously. Its a setting and not a permanent change. Plus all those that cant stand it left already... make the change behind the scenes, make a thread on how to change it back if the user wants to. Turning on notifications for everyone (only on the site notifications and not email notifications) for the classified systems will be far better than missing out on questions and people complaining over that. 

It would take ~3 clicks for a user to turn off the setting. 

What I'm saying is, that from my understanding of how it's stored in the database, it would change all notification settings to some default and not just the classifieds. 

What I'm saying is, that from my understanding of how it's stored in the database, it would change all notification settings to some default and not just the classifieds. 

Ah gotcha. Misunderstood. That would be a little peeving.