New Classifieds; Improvement Suggestions only

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, historical pricing is so valuable! I can't stress enough how many times I used that... Sure you can just ask but those who answer are simply guessing. Ratsun is full of cheap ass mofo's so it's more of 'what they would pay' rather than what it's actually worth.

Set the time period for two weeks instead of a month and repost the ad in two weeks.  I value being able to read a classified ad without having to sift through "Bump",  "GLWS", "I want!", "PM sent", and other useless conversations. Kinda like the point you made here:

And it will always happen......ALWAYS....no matter how stern a warning tools get.  Thus, the new format eliminates that nonsense and the pages and pages of useless data to fill the servers.

Just post that all comments must ask or answer a sale question or temp ban.  A day or two off from ratsun would soon cure people of that BS.

Lastly....

No photos with classifieds is annoying and I'm guilty.  But, it's basic marketing 101...if you want your stuff to sell quick provide a photo.  Those who don't (me included) figure out laziness doesn't work and if I want to sell something quick I have to include a photo.  But, the point is, it gets learned eventually through the hard way.  Let it work its course.

No photo... the ad is taken down. Simple. Who in this day and age doesn't have a camera or access to one?

Perhaps a list of minimum requirements that MUST be in a proper ad. For instance a clear title that says what it is and if for sale or wanted. Not Window Needed. Window? what window? Do I have to open this up to find its for an F10???? Failure to make it easy to read and peruse through the classifieds and the ad is taken down. Period. If someone is serious thay can take posting an ad seriously too.

Mike, historical pricing is so valuable! I can't stress enough how many times I used that... Sure you can just ask but those who answer are simply guessing. Ratsun is full of cheap ass mofo's so it's more of 'what they would pay' rather than what it's actually worth.

Not following. Are you saying that when someone wants too much for what you want to pay that you can quote the going rate two years ago? If you are selling, you are going to sell for the same price as two years ago even though it has become rarer and gone up in price? The past is the past.

Just post that all comments must ask or answer a sale question or temp ban.  A day or two off from ratsun would soon cure people of that BS.

No photo... the ad is taken down. Simple. Who in this day and age doesn't have a camera or access to one?

Perhaps a list of minimum requirements that MUST be in a proper ad. For instance a clear title that says what it is and if for sale or wanted. Not Window Needed. Window? what window? Do I have to open this up to find its for an F10???? Failure to make it easy to read and peruse through the classifieds and the ad is taken down. Period. If someone is serious thay can take posting an ad seriously too.

Make OP posts have to be approved by a mod before listed... to vet they actually have a picture price.. location.. blah blah. 

Not following. Are you saying that when someone wants too much for what you want to pay that you can quote the going rate two years ago? If you are selling, you are going to sell for the same price as two years ago even though it has become rarer and gone up in price? The past is the past.

It's a reference price... If you were to look at one single ad and price it of that you'd be retarded. If the price was too high, then let the market decide. If it's too low.. then whatever. You didn't know what it's worth to begin with.

tristins right I vented enough .... I take my sell and buys elsewhere .......u here that ratsun im taking my soccer ball and going home

hey draker ... wts carpet kit 521 oem and mint ... no pics its carpet if u don't know what it looks like then tough 600 obo ..... u buyin?

Um.. duh?  All carpet is the same.

It's a reference price... If you were to look at one single ad and price it of that you'd be retarded. If the price was too high, then let the market decide. If it's too low.. then whatever. You didn't know what it's worth to begin with.

Reference prices in the past may have some utility but can be very misleading ... 

Location... west coast has more examples of Datsuns and parts than the East coast so generally cheaper geographically in the west.

Shipping.... local pick up is cheaper than shipping and has to be factored in.

Rarity........ even on the West coast there are rare parts that command higher prices. The '74 620 flywheel is very rare but no demand for them.

Fad........... flavor of the month parts. '5Speed' emblems from B-210s and 200sx suddenly become popular for  other cars with or without 5 speed swaps.... everyone wants one. Price goes up.

Supply/Demand..... suddenly either dries up or takes off.  Old prices don't apply

Reference prices in the past may have some utility but can be very misleading ... 

Location... west coast has more examples of Datsuns and parts than the East coast so generally cheaper geographically in the west.

Shipping.... local pick up is cheaper than shipping and has to be factored in.

Rarity........ even on the West coast there are rare parts that command higher prices. The '74 620 flywheel is very rare but no demand for them.

Fad........... flavor of the month parts. '5Speed' emblems from B-210s and 200sx suddenly become popular for  other cars with or without 5 speed swaps.... everyone wants one. Price goes up.

Supply/Demand..... suddenly either dries up or takes off.  Old prices don't apply

Well... it's either pull a number out of your ass. Which happens all the time and people get trolled for it.. do your do diligence and find historical pricing.. or ask someone what it's worth and they will give you what they think it's worth to them in their geological location, size of bank account, physical distance from the item, shipping weight, all in this exact moment in time.

All points are invalid. It's a reference price based on what someone was asking... not sold for. And yes, supply, demand... rabble rabble rabble.

Ther turkin arrh yerbs.

Pricing is all very fluid I think. Trolling or flaming an ad should get a temp ban.

[quote name="datzenmike" post="1001675" timestamp

No photo... the ad is taken down. Simple. Who in this day and age doesn't have a camera or access to one?.

I don't think having a digital camera is the issue because you're right, everyones got one. I think the issue is that not everyone has or wants to open yet another account on some website that will host their digital photos. I use car domain, but that site sucks. Wish I could host my Datsun photos here on ratsun, but that's more cost to the ratsun host.

Well... it's either pull a number out of your ass. Which happens all the time and people get trolled for it.. do your do diligence and find historical pricing.. or ask someone what it's worth and they will give you what they think it's worth to them in their geological location, size of bank account, physical distance from the item, shipping weight, all in this exact moment in time.

All points are invalid. It's a reference price based on what someone was asking... not sold for. And yes, supply, demand... rabble rabble rabble.

Ther turkin arrh yerbs.

Nice thing about the classifieds as they are is that if the price is crazy no one can hijack the thread....it just is. You can send the seller a pm, but no one else gets to see that. Another benefit is the seller may take the discrete feedback well and adjust his list price....all without the 12 pages of flaming.

• Like 2

Small price to pay to use our (vast) readership for a free ad.

Pictures must be good quality... also universally available today. If not, ad not approved. Why should the membership have to work at all to make sense of someone else sell something. If selling, do your own homework...

TITLE what is being sold or wanted.

Quality pictures.

Accurate, detailed, up to date, description. To avoid later obvious questions.

Location. (local pick up, shipping?)

Price. (if selling)

My old Classifieds that are now archived; I keep them up to date, as I'm still selling some of that stuff.  And I have gone back and put what price they sold for.  This is the Archived prices I think we are all talking about.  It's merely a reference.  Like the three stock exhaust manifolds I sold for $40 plus shipping.  Might be high to some, but someone that finds my old ad will have pretty good reason to list their exh. mani. for that or more, because they can see that they have sold for that in the past......

Like I've said before, I see both sides of the issue. 

Have the Moderators posted a writen statement as to why the change and what benefit it is to them, versus the old?  I've found, while being a store manager in retail, that when implementing change, you have to explain in detail why we are making the change.  Without the why, the people following don't understand and that's when the complaining starts.....

• Like 2

sorry I got to do this but a perfect example of what's wrong with the classys........sorry decoy .... but this is no bueno .....

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/2249-510-sss-steering-wheel/

I was all sweet then I got to the add .. and was all wtf ing myself....this is why we just shouldn't have them if we are gonna let this happen ...eflay can do this disservice

sorry I got to do this but a perfect example of what's wrong with the classys........sorry decoy .... but this is no bueno .....

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/2249-510-sss-steering-wheel/

I was all sweet then I got to the add .. and was all wtf ing myself....this is why we just shouldn't have them if we are gonna let this happen ...eflay can do this disservice

Not sure what you mean? The price?

It's a SSS wheel, missing the horn button, located in CA for $150 shipped, not sure what other info you need.

• Like 1

.this is why we just shouldn't have them if we are gonna let this happen ...eflay can do this disservice

Let what happen? Is the idea that because something is for sale here that it should be at a significant discount from what you can get it elsewhere? I might give a little bit of a discount when I list things here, but I'm not going to be stupid and sell something for a third of it's value just because I'm selling to a Ratsun member. Chances are that I'll end up seeing my item selling someplace else if I do that. It's one thing if I know for certain someone is going to be personally using whatever it is that I'm selling, but Ratsun is too big to be able to know that for sure.

The listing only shows the picture of the hub unless you scroll - maybe that's the problem?

• Like 1