New Classifieds; Improvement Suggestions only

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, we could have a 'how to' sticky, explaining how to turn notifications on/off. Then it'd be the user's choice, and less work for the staff. I know it's been explained before, in these classy threads, but I'm sure not everyone is following along.

Thanks for the improvements, Thomas!

Perhaps, we could have a 'how to' sticky, explaining how to turn notifications on/off. Then it'd be the user's choice, and less work for the staff. I know it's been explained before, in these classy threads, but I'm sure not everyone is following along.

Thanks for the improvements, Thomas!

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55376-how-to-use-the-new-for-salewanted-classifieds/

Disregard the PM thing, I think I have found the problem. You will need to go to your profile settings.

Click on your user name on the top right of the screen.

Click 'My Settings'

On the menu left of the screen click 'Notification Options'

Scroll down to the bottom and check 'Notify me of new questions for my own classified adverts' you can set it to email you and/or send you a notification.

Save Changes

Now might be a good time to adjust the other settings as well...I didn't have any notififications set for the classifieds, I went ahead and turned them all on :lol:

:D

I wonder if it would be worth it to compile a list of feature requests for the author? There are a few I could think of that would be nice. 

With how little effort typing on a keyboard is, I always find computer feedback pretty easy. Youre only out a few minutes time and you wont ever get features if you dont ask. The worst that will happen is he says no. The best is he implements what youre looking for. Id say go for it. 

I wonder if it would be worth it to compile a list of feature requests for the author? There are a few I could think of that would be nice. 

if that means a little spot attached to the ad to discuss it's virtues and uses that the OP doesn't have to respond too? That is wht I liked aboot the old system. if we can merge old and new... we have the best of both.

in my ever so humble opinion.

the opinion is humble, not me.

never me.

• Like 1

Not sure it works that way. I think you should start a wheel discussion and you can link your various wheel ads as they come in. You can have requests and such in the discussion thread.
Hope that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 25 post rule is gone isn't it?

Yes it is... but the new member has under 25 posts and cant send/receive messages. Thought it was a reason or maybe just a coincidence. Either way seems to be an issue. Just point it out to see what can be done.

• 1 month later...

So the comment over in Insomniacs got me thinking...

I don't remember why, because I'm sure it's been mentioned...  But why can't we have the WTB section separate from For Sale?  It would make so much more sense....

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start something here, that's why I came to this thread instead of posting in the other...  It's a genuine question.

So the comment over in Insomniacs got me thinking...

I don't remember why, because I'm sure it's been mentioned...  But why can't we have the WTB section separate from For Sale?  It would make so much more sense....

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start something here, that's why I came to this thread instead of posting in the other...  It's a genuine question.

You can, it's right here:

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/1-root/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc&filter=2

Otherwise reached by selecting "Wanted" from the dropdown at the top right (defaulted to "All Advert Types").

You can, it's right here:

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/1-root/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc&filter=2

Otherwise reached by selecting "Wanted" from the dropdown at the top right (defaulted to "All Advert Types").

Nice!  Thanks!  Learn something new everyday!

Yes it is... but the new member has under 25 posts and cant send/receive messages. Thought it was a reason or maybe just a coincidence. Either way seems to be an issue. Just point it out to see what can be done.

We will look into this.

• 1 month later...

Alright ladies and germs. 

Have some thoughts on improvements.

Bear with me.

As it were here is the current main page layout

10584496715_bd81bf3647_b.jpg
don't cap by 71240z, on Flickr

Efforts are recognized and appreciated everyone !

Green Circle = is an accessible Classified Link. It is not bold in color to suggest the main link to click. This believe it or not can get very confusing for some people .. if their sick , tired , ill , dyslexic or whatever ... basic is best. I know that sounds far fetched , but live it :) .

Black Circles = definitions are wonderful , but clutter the screen all over the place , and I do mean all over. I would suggest minimizing both the sub-category links and cut the definitions down. Kind of like the rest of the forum. Less is more :) !

Red Circles = The "DO NOT POST ADS HERE !!!!" suggests ... yelling and anger which doesn't become you. I realize you're not the kind of guy to do so Mike as we've chatted many times ;) ....  It just comes off as un-welcoming and un-pleasant for those new to the site or un-famaliar with those people ... :lol: ...  (which we know wouldn't do that in that context). Don't want to chase them away hahaha

I've also wondered if people simply mistaken one category ... then believe we don't want ads posted on our site ... doh !!! ... they leave ... we lose members , and precious opportunity's to connect , buy , trade , and invite :thumbup:

Blue Circles = I kind of wonder if it should just be stuck in the classifieds system itself or re-categorized ... it's kind of on it's own ? I do realize you guys may not be able to stuff it in the new plug in module , but I believe you understand the direction intended :D

Mellow tone and even thoughts people ;)

10584764973_7fb86ca4b0_b.jpg
do cap by 71240z, on Flickr

NWDatsuns.com .. screen capture since it was quickest to make an example of.( I was online at that time as well ).

This site is pretty basic and clutter free for the most part. Some prefer and some don't.

Blue Circles = indicate 3 category's ... no description ... etc

Green Circle = The entire jalopy ... although I realize the discussions on ratsun would have to be re-arranged/cut-down in context of the introduction off the main page.

Red Circle = All the $#$^ that is not "Non-Datsun Related" ... all of it goes there ... then again very basic.

I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!! to see More listings per page on the new classy's if you guys or Thomas can make that happen.

Love you long time ... Who do I talk to ... to make this happen please in advance :) .

I spent a little time on this as I wanted to do so in order to make things easier to understand.

I honestly have not seen many people use the new discussions as they lay ... even though they were accommodated after we asked for them or in lamens terms wanted a "place" for parts discussions related to for-sale + wanted items on this site. (Thank you).

I see it as this ... Drive up to a drive through restaurant ...  instead of pulling into the drive thru ... one restaurant has 1 line and the other has 4 lines ... on occasion ... a person driving to the restaurant with 4 lines that's never been to that drive-thru before may just get frustrated and pick any line without reading/asking (the wrong one).

Now progress from fast-food to classifieds discussion threads .... When their thread(s) in the discussion part of the classifieds (with the words classifieds in them ;) ) gets locked...  then  they are told to post here .. please ( I understand the process ) ... they may choose to go elsewhere instead because of a simple mus-understanding  .... or they may not like the layout.

Anyways ... trying to contribute ...  this is a community and we're here to help each other ... especially newbies that draw interest as we all know :thumbup:  ... get those newbies to the right part of the classifieds ..... I did donate the last 2 times to this site because I like what I get out of it :cool:

Big thanks for the time , effort , and listening to the mellow tone of this message.

This post certainly isn't intended to rub anyone the wrong way... if it does ... I'm but sorry that's your problemo not mine holmes :D

I'm still looking for some parts ironically in order to swap to a EFI-turbo setup as well. I use to deal in a lot of parts , wanted , buying , and trading just like the next jo :thumbup: ... I'm going to try to do the same process to finish ma baby if I can.

Thankyou !!!

David (DTP)

• Like 6

That makes a lot of sense... the way it looks, all the important sections are discussions and not the ads themselves. The ads are kind of hidden in all that bold and fancy text of discussions. I can see a lot of people posting ads there because it boldly says Ratsun Parts Classifieds.... then the last word is discussion.

Ive actually never noticed that as I almost never go to the homepage... I just refresh "New Content" and click on "Classifieds" under the banner. 

Good tip on trying for some style clean-up :thumbup:

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense... the way it looks, all the important sections are discussions and not the ads themselves. The ads are kind of hidden in all that bold and fancy text of discussions. I can see a lot of people posting ads there because it boldly says Ratsun Parts Classifieds.... then the last word is discussion.

Good tip on trying for some style clean-up :thumbup:

Thanks man :thumbup:   ....Exactly my thoughts as well sir !

Yes the classifieds is lost at the top of the page. I had to ask someone where it was. Maybe some way to find it easier.

"DO NOT POST ADS HERE !!!!" could be mistaken for aggressive. Just making it easier for people to read, you know read... like where is says...

A discussion forum relating to the
Datsun Vehicles classifieds. This
forum is intended for topics too
broad to be addressed by the question
format within individual classified ads.

Clearly says discussion but people don't read, or don't understand, too lazy or knowingly post a for sale ad anyway. Perhaps it could be modified so there is no mistake to be made.

Yes the classifieds is lost at the top of the page. I had to ask someone where it was. Maybe some way to find it easier.

"DO NOT POST ADS HERE !!!!" could be mistaken for aggressive. Just making it easier for people to read, you know read... like where is says...

A discussion forum relating to the

Datsun Vehicles classifieds. This

forum is intended for topics too

broad to be addressed by the question

format within individual classified ads.

Clearly says discussion but people don't read, or don't understand, too lazy or knowingly post a for sale ad anyway. Perhaps it could be modified so there is no mistake to be made.

To be honest, I think the discussion section can almost be removed. It was a good thought, but its barely even used... seems more threads are misplaced FS ads than genuine parts inquiries.