New Classifieds; Improvement Suggestions only

I dont remember dnw, I remember ratsun.net. my one and only internet home. Hence the way im taking it. The first love is the hardest to lose. And you dont allways understand there reasons, even if they so clearly do. But I hope I can still play with ratsuns dirty parts every now and then.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean the temper tantrum is over? That's the way I look at it. The mods don't look at making changes to screw over members. I know they didn't take the changes lightly.

Classiczcars made the same years ago with their classifieds. I never saw anyone act the way some did here. It was barely a glitch when they moved their classifieds. I'm sure they had to go through tweaks here and there to weed out various fixes.

Changes will continue, some good some bad. Since this is a site for enthusiasts we should all contribute either monetarily, constructively or informative, in the end it will be a better place we all can enjoy.

Yes, I considered you a troll. You may have still been contributing to the site, helping in threads etc. But in anything that had to do with the new classifieds you did nothing but complain. Sure, you may have sent some suggestions, implementing suggestions takes time and the mods can only do one thing at a time, well except for D-mike. You can't have instant satisfaction unless you want to start your own web site, then you will have to deal with people like yourself like in this little episode.

You have a lot of points by helping others I assume. But the last thing people will see if they started reading the new classifieds to try and make suggestions will be your inane posts. That will stick in everyones mind and they won't give a ratwagons azz ;-) what else you have to say.

I have seen a new beginning in a couple of posts you just made here. Try not to back slide anymore.

You and a few members, most of whom are just jumping on your coat tails.

Most people seem to be using them with little trouble. If they have a usage problem, they let us know we try to address them. 

We aren't "jumping on coattails" we are agreeing with Banners ideas. Some of us may be too timid to say it ourselves but once someone else does we are emboldened.

The new classifieds suck, but we still want to buy and sell shit so we use what we are allowed to use.

the questions part of the fucking shitty new classifieds doesn't seem to give a notification when a question is asked. And why the fuck does somebody, to remain unnamed, have a classified up with a SOLD sign on it? Isn't the point to close the ad once it sold?

FUCK people, come on!

• Like 1

the questions part of the fucking shitty new classifieds doesn't seem to give a notification when a question is asked. And why the fuck does somebody, to remain unnamed, have a classified up with a SOLD sign on it? Isn't the point to close the ad once it sold?

Must just be you, because the notifications seem to work fine for me. People have received notifications that Ive asked questions and I have received notifications that they have answered...

hopefully this doesn't step on any toes, but I have a suggestion that while not relevant to the classifieds, is relevant to a lot of the crap that's gone on because of them.  some members, myself included, seem to have forgotten ratsuns golden rule #2, or have seen it ignored so many times by the mods, or done by the mods themselves, that they think it doesn't apply anymore.  there is a line between all in good fun and being a dick, and it was crossed pretty early on in the other thread.  there was a lot of good concerns, questions, and comments up until page 7/8. that was when this was posted..."Unlike some responders to this thread, put me down under the "non girly whining because my old classifieds got taken away from me" profile please. What a group of whinging arsed sooks some of you have shown yourselves to be ! My three year old son behaves better than some of you!"...which then gave us this in response "you sound like the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe you should listen to your self. do you get satisfaction in calling people names ? You do it quite often when members are discussing the problems of the NEW improved Ratsun. and one more thing that I noticed, your nose is getting browner. ur a kiss ass, there I said it."  and things started going downhill from there. mike even put up the ratsun rules with #2 bolded(altho it was aimed at something else entirely that had managed to get into the thread) in post number 191.  if ya'll had busted out the warnings when people first got pissed, shit probably wouldn't have gotten as out of hand as it did.  its not the first time I've said this, but if nothing changes I wont bother saying it again. I learned my lesson about that last time.

• Like 2

hopefully this doesn't step on any toes, but I have a suggestion that while not relevant to the classifieds, is relevant to a lot of the crap that's gone on because of them.  some members, myself included, seem to have forgotten ratsuns golden rule #2, or have seen it ignored so many times by the mods, or done by the mods themselves, that they think it doesn't apply anymore.  there is a line between all in good fun and being a dick, and it was crossed pretty early on in the other thread.  there was a lot of good concerns, questions, and comments up until page 7/8. that was when this was posted..."Unlike some responders to this thread, put me down under the "non girly whining because my old classifieds got taken away from me" profile please. What a group of whinging arsed sooks some of you have shown yourselves to be ! My three year old son behaves better than some of you!"...which then gave us this in response "you sound like the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe you should listen to your self. do you get satisfaction in calling people names ? You do it quite often when members are discussing the problems of the NEW improved Ratsun. and one more thing that I noticed, your nose is getting browner. ur a kiss ass, there I said it."  and things started going downhill from there. mike even put up the ratsun rules with #2 bolded(altho it was aimed at something else entirely that had managed to get into the thread) in post number 191.  if ya'll had busted out the warnings when people first got pissed, shit probably wouldn't have gotten as out of hand as it did.  its not the first time I've said this, but if nothing changes I wont bother saying it again. I learned my lesson about that last time.

Wait there are rules? (sarcasm)

Seriously, I understand the crap that mods have to put up with. In fact, I am quite sympathetic. My wife and I did similar work years ago, and I wouldn't do it again. I'll just leave it at that.

But let's be honest, rules 1,2,6,7 get violated quite frequently over a range of "grey area" to blatant disregard. By all means, I am no angel, and I when my wife ain't looking I stroll over to the as(s) pix. I mean hey, who doesn't want to see this: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17492-post-ass/?p=941828. Personally, I don't care about things like that. I am not offended. 

But I have to ask: If we have rules (very specific ones), why don't we follow them?

• Like 1

Wow!

TLDR, sook.

Seriously, I understand the crap that mods have to put up with. In fact, I am quite sympathetic. My wife and I did similar work years ago, and I wouldn't do it again. I'll just leave it at that.

But let's be honest, rules 1,2,6,7 get violated quite frequently over a range of "grey area" to blatant disregard. By all means, I am no angel, and I when my wife ain't looking I stroll over to the as(s) pix. I mean hey, who doesn't want to see this: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17492-post-ass/?p=941828. Personally, I don't care about things like that. I am not offended. 

But I have to ask: If we have rules (very specific ones), why don't we follow them?

Shit!  I didn't know that thread was there!  I have a ton of pics I can contribute!! :rofl:

Wives... They take everything so personally.

So it sounds like you guys are starting to advocate towards more policing of the rules....  or maybe more consistency in policing of the rules?  "Why have policies if your not going to stick to them?"..... Honestly.... I'm not sure I would implement another "New Change" this soon after the New Classfieds.  But I don't dissagree with the question at hand.

Personally I've only barely skimmed the rules.  But then again, I don't call people names, I don't usually use profain vocabulary, especially not directed towards anyone, and I wouldn't typically post as(s) pics, Butt maybe I can make an exception for that thread.  Now I'm curious to see what's in the rules.

So I went back and read the rules....  I remember now I did read them... They are all pretty common sense, that's why I forgot.  I'm not sure I have seen much that has gone to the extremes here, but maybe somethings have gotten out of hand that should have had a hand slap, or maybe the Mods should have asked the author to change some wording....  I think everyone got caught up in some of it though... I mean on both sides, shit was slung.

On that note, there is a "Report" button on the bottom right of every post.  It is also our duty as members to report stuff that we find offensive, so the Mods know what kind of stuff is causing a disruption.

• Like 1

Here is a suggestion, not necessarily towards the Classifieds, but in general; How about an automatic spell check?  Why isn't there an auto spell check?.... Or is there and I just haven't set something up right?

I'm so used to everything having spell check, that when I type on here I'm so paranoid I'm going to make spelling errors.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Suggestions.

1. If we all want to keep the spammers out,have a member only(yes paid,minimal amount)Classifieds,that can have interaction,I belong to a site that does this,and there are no problems,If we donate,why not,its for a good cause right?,and takes alot of the wanna be's and  crooks out of the picture,and can only be viewed by Members.

2. If there are problems with the amount of new users that sign up here,making it all but impossible for mods to take care of it, Have more mods simple,Cant expect the 3 guys(active mods) that are doing it now,and there not to be issues.Ratsun will only grow it is inevitable.

3. Listen to people, They have gripes as we all do,so what.. They have a voice just like anyone.

4. Have word filters to reduce the crap that is not wanted

Only thing worse than rules... are too many. We should be able to get by without any but this is never the case. Children thrive when there are rules to follow. Everyone knows where the boundaries are and there are fewer problems. I don't think any mod likes to enforce a rule because this indicates something has broken down. Further a mod has to decide if worth the bother or even necessary. So, in many cases things are left to sort themselves out and surprisingly, they often do. I like to think of it as adultness asserting itself before corrective action is required. What few rules we do have are for quoting when severe action is handed down. Sometimes quoting a rule is enough to bring normalcy. Other times it is worse to do nothing and have the inmates think they can run the asylum. Generally rules are applied 'lightly'..... but there if needed.

• Like 2

Must just be you, because the notifications seem to work fine for me. People have received notifications that Ive asked questions and I have received notifications that they have answered...

Negative...it's not just him

I've used that question box a few times, the OP's were oblivious a query was asked.

Had to PM them to tell them they had a question etc....by that time the part was no longer needed

Useless

I've used that question box a few times, the OP's were oblivious a query was asked.

Had to PM them to tell them they had a question etc....by that time the part was no longer needed

Useless

Don't know then, just worked for me the other day. I posted a question on Bonvos ad and he replied almost immediately. Notifications seemed to work fine :confused:

Hopefully this is constructive enough to qualify as a legitimate post here, and will be the last I will say about this myself.

I think if the bitching was just allowed to burn itself out in a thread that didn't matter, it would have taken care of itself, whether in 2 pages or 100 and would have dropped down to obscurity within a few months at the most (after all, It was under 'General'  which is subtitled 'Talk about Anything').   What I saw was some members just wanting to air their frustrations and others getting tired of hearing it, but if so they could have just ignored the thread like people ignore other threads they are not interested in.    

Like they said in the Navy.... a bitching sailor is a happy sailor (cause they get it off their chest).  I guess someone would respond to that with "well how long must they bitch and I'm tired of hearing it".... my point again, who cares or why should you?   It's not like they were PMs filling up your inbox.    Ignore it and move on without adding fuel to the fire.  Like babies sometimes you have to let them cry it out and yelling at them to quit crying only makes them cry more.   If there had been actual physical contact, there would have been something akin to baby shaking going on here !  (yes, I just compared the 'guilty' posters to babies... of which I am culpable also).

Yeah, not a democracy, but what is a forum without members?  And do you ban or weed out the members that only you agree with or that don't get frustrated with things?  I guess you could, but as society goes, you would end up with a sterile uniform community with no individuality or camaraderie (or at the least, members who are afraid to say anything controversial in fear they will be banned or slapped -  I even find myself self-editing constantly on posts now just to be as PC as possible !).  There are plenty of forums like that but Ratsun was always more roughshod and 'real'  (still is despite all this).  I find that very passionate people can be at both ends of the spectrum, very creative and constructive, yet show their ass once in awhile.

As for new classifieds?  Meh, it's kinda like a friend that quit drinking, settled down and got married... he's easier to tolerate but in the end it just not the same hanging out with him.  Beyond that analogy, I was a bit surprised by the sudden change without warning and I miss the price trends/historical data and constructive in-line posts and good-natured banter -albeit one glwts would be enough in most cases ! (and an instant slap on the wrist to the price bashers would have kept things a lot more civil)

'Nuff said.

• Like 4

We aren't "jumping on coattails" we are agreeing with Banners ideas. Some of us may be too timid to say it ourselves but once someone else does we are emboldened.

The new classifieds suck, but we still want to buy and sell shit so we use what we are allowed to use.

FUCK people, come on!

If you have a legitimate issue with the classifieds then your not. It's hard to keep track of the issues with the classifieds when most of the posts are "I hate the new classifieds" "they suck" "rawr!" and that is the extent of redbanners ideas as far as I can tell amid his bitching.

I will see if there is a notification setting somewhere.

We try to let the members police themselves, we aren't here to babysit and if we started being hardasses about the rules then ther would be like 5 people on here. :lol:

It may not be a democracy, but your free to express yourself here in ways your not able to on other forums.

Suggestions.

1. If we all want to keep the spammers out,have a member only(yes paid,minimal amount)Classifieds,that can have interaction,I belong to a site that does this,and there are no problems,If we donate,why not,its for a good cause right?,and takes alot of the wanna be's and  crooks out of the picture,and can only be viewed by Members.

2. If there are problems with the amount of new users that sign up here,making it all but impossible for mods to take care of it, Have more mods simple,Cant expect the 3 guys(active mods) that are doing it now,and there not to be issues.Ratsun will only grow it is inevitable.

3. Listen to people, They have gripes as we all do,so what.. They have a voice just like anyone.

4. Have word filters to reduce the crap that is not wanted

1. You think people bitch now....

2. We have a lot of mods here, but only a couple online at the same time. We have been discussing adding more mods, but in truth you guys have as much responsibility to let us know of issues as we do to addressing them.

3. We have been listening, most of the issues that were mentioned earlier have been addressed, if we have missed some by all means let us know. Just know that the new classifieds are here to stay, work to improve them.

4. Censorship sucks.

Useless

Thank you for letting us know that it's not an isolated problem.

Hopefully this is constructive enough to qualify as a legitimate post here, and will be the last I will say about this myself.

I think if the bitching was just allowed to burn itself out in a thread that didn't matter, it would have taken care of itself, whether in 2 pages or 100 and would have dropped down to obscurity within a few months at the most (after all, It was under 'General'  which is subtitled 'Talk about Anything').   What I saw was some members just wanting to air their frustrations and others getting tired of hearing it, but if so they could have just ignored the thread like people ignore other threads they are not interested in.    

Like they said in the Navy.... a bitching sailor is a happy sailor (cause they get it off their chest).  I guess someone would respond to that with "well how long must they bitch and I'm tired of hearing it".... my point again, who cares or why should you?   It's not like they were PMs filling up your inbox.    Ignore it and move on without adding fuel to the fire.  Like babies sometimes you have to let them cry it out and yelling at them to quit crying only makes them cry more.   If there had been actual physical contact, there would have been something akin to baby shaking going on here !  (yes, I just compared the 'guilty' posters to babies... of which I am culpable also).

Yeah, not a democracy, but what is a forum without members?  And do you ban or weed out the members that only you agree with or that don't get frustrated with things?  I guess you could, but as society goes, you would end up with a sterile uniform community with no individuality or camaraderie (or at the least, members who are afraid to say anything controversial in fear they will be banned or slapped -  I even find myself self-editing constantly on posts now just to be as PC as possible !).  There are plenty of forums like that but Ratsun was always more roughshod and 'real'  (still is despite all this).  I find that very passionate people can be at both ends of the spectrum, very creative and constructive, yet show their ass once in awhile.

As for new classifieds?  Meh, it's kinda like a friend that quit drinking, settled down and got married... he's easier to tolerate but in the end it just not the same hanging out with him.  Beyond that analogy, I was a bit surprised by the sudden change without warning and I miss the price trends/historical data and constructive in-line posts and good-natured banter -albeit one glwts would be enough in most cases ! (and an instant slap on the wrist to the price bashers would have kept things a lot more civil)

'Nuff said.

Legit post.

laotsu & sealick, I'm going to PM you guys so we can work on the notifications thing outside of this thread.

Disregard the PM thing, I think I have found the problem. You will need to go to your profile settings.

Click on your user name on the top right of the screen.

Click 'My Settings'

On the menu left of the screen click 'Notification Options'

Scroll down to the bottom and check 'Notify me of new questions for my own classified adverts' you can set it to email you and/or send you a notification.

Save Changes

Now might be a good time to adjust the other settings as well...I didn't have any notififications set for the classifieds, I went ahead and turned them all on :lol:

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

1. You think people bitch now....

2. We have a lot of mods here, but only a couple online at the same time. We have been discussing adding more mods, but in truth you guys have as much responsibility to let us know of issues as we do to addressing them.

3. We have been listening, most of the issues that were mentioned earlier have been addressed, if we have missed some by all means let us know. Just know that the new classifieds are here to stay, work to improve them.

4. Censorship sucks.

1. It would solve alot of the issues that come about with any forum,and really why shouldnt members get to have first crack at something(for sale)

Also would offset or cover costs associated with running Ratsun,and really it is the Members that do make Ratsun.. right?

It works very well, people do (for the most part) understand that it costs to run a website.

2. Yes there are "alot" of mods.But the 3 of you are the ones dealing with most issues(and thanks for that)

3. Still things coming up etc

4 . Not censorship as such, Just filtering(like you would in your email etc)to keep the spam bots away.

I appreciate the mods They are the ones that keep all the major cat turds out of our sandbox that we play in; I am however, American and dissent is also American and I see a lot of this bitching and nothing more than dissent. Thank You redeye for resolving the notifications issue.

1. It would solve alot of the issues that come about with any forum,and really why shouldnt members get to have first crack at something(for sale)

Also would offset or cover costs associated with running Ratsun,and really it is the Members that do make Ratsun.. right?

It works very well, people do (for the most part) understand that it costs to run a website.

2. Yes there are "alot" of mods.But the 3 of you are the ones dealing with most issues(and thanks for that)

3. Still things coming up etc

4 . Not censorship as such, Just filtering(like you would in your email etc)to keep the spam bots away.

Well I for one wouldn't pay to use the classifieds. As far as I know you have to be a member to PM another member about an ad or to ask a question.

The donation thing is working rather well, I donate and will continue to. Other people can make their own decision on that. I'd rather we didn't 'force' people to donate.

There are enough mods to deal with the issues we are having. Sometimes there is a spurt in the work we have to do, like now with the classifieds, but everything gets back to normal after a while. I'm confident this to will pass.

We have been resolving those as they come up, of course this is dependent on us knowing there is an issue to begin with. Like the PM thing, I think it was mentioned early on, but it got lost in the static. Hopefully everyone will see the solution and do their part to fix their user settings. Also, hopefully, we can get people to post up issues as they notice them and resolve those as well without a lot of static drowing them out.

What would we filter? Certain words? I don't see how that would address anything...without creating more confusion. Still seems like censorship to me, filtering spambots is a completely different situation and we already do that.

I appreciate the mods They are the ones that keep all the major cat turds out of our sandbox that we play in; I am however, American and dissent is also American and I see a lot of this bitching and nothing more than dissent. Thank You redeye for resolving the notifications issue.

I have no problem with dissent, but when it's drowned out by the white noise of bithcing it becomes easier to write off all of it as bitching.

Did the question I posed yesterday, on one of your ads, notify you when you turned them on? If not, I can try another question to make sure it is working properly. Thanks for helping sort it out.