New Classifieds; Improvement Suggestions only

Yes the classifieds is lost at the top of the page. I had to ask someone where it was. Maybe some way to find it easier.

"DO NOT POST ADS HERE !!!!" could be mistaken for aggressive. Just making it easier for people to read, you know read... like where is says...

A discussion forum relating to the

Datsun Vehicles classifieds. This

forum is intended for topics too

broad to be addressed by the question

format within individual classified ads.

Clearly says discussion but people don't read, or don't understand, too lazy or knowingly post a for sale ad anyway. Perhaps it could be modified so there is no mistake to be made.

Indeed. I get where all of that is coming from for sure. I too had to look for a minute when it was all changed over to read and see what was what :) .

Oh yeah !!! All for making it easier for people to read , and as few of words as possible. If you don't put it in bold or big letter people won't pay attention , but if you do it can be taken another way. Damned if you do and damned if you don't situation on your guy's end .. :console: ... completely understand what that's like !!

It's all good that way Mike :console: !!

To be honest, I think the discussion section can almost be removed. It was a good thought, but its barely even used... seems more threads are misplaced FS ads than genuine parts inquiries. 

Removing is an option. I do like the discussions with certain rarer or less talked about parts though.

Then again that could be asked in the technical or general forums. Although an Index of pricing is important with dates or cohesion into a group of discussion articles ? idk.

Maybe consider for the time being condense the discussion - classifieds all with basic titles , and see if the behavior of the members change possibly ?

Idk to be honest.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With so few discussions taking place, do we really need it seperated into the same exact categories that the FS section has? What if all of it was condensed into a single "Ratsun Classifieds Discussion." That should give people the option to talk about something if they want, should be equal weighted with the actual classified section since its only a single link. 

With so few discussions taking place, do we really need it seperated into the same exact categories that the FS section has? What if all of it was condensed into a single "Ratsun Classifieds Discussion." That should give people the option to talk about something if they want, should be equal weighted with the actual classified section since its only a single link. 

Actually good question Tristin !

I had been think about something slightly close to your thoughts on this. If we did what you're talking about doing and just stuffed the sub-categories underneath (inside the "Ratsun Classifieds Discussion") .. I wonder if that would help things along ? It's somewhat modified of what you're talking about , but just including the sub-categories for archive sake :) . I'm not sure if scattered subjects without at least a few sub-categories in the discussions (after you click the main link on the page ?)  is good organizational practice .. :lol:

Hopefully I'm conveying my thoughts clearly tonight.

Actually good question Tristin !

I had been think about something slightly close to your thoughts on this. If we did what you're talking about doing and just stuffed the sub-categories underneath (inside the "Ratsun Classifieds Discussion") .. I wonder if that would help things along ? It's somewhat modified of what you're talking about , but just including the sub-categories for archive sake :) . I'm not sure if scattered subjects without at least a few sub-categories in the discussions (after you click the main link on the page ?)  is good organizational practice .. :lol:

Hopefully I'm conveying my thoughts clearly tonight.

No I totally feel you on organizational prowess... I have so many folders nested on my computer to keep things clean and organized, so Im with you. I just dont see the sections being used so much that we need individual categories. Since the change over there are like 50 threads in discussions with most being ads. Ill go through and count to actually get a real number. 

Edit: I just realized that there are no categories for discussion. All of the links under the Discussion header are all links to the classifieds section. Why? Thats incredibly confusing... 

I think it was added originally because of complaints that there was no where to discuss parts. The old classifieds had unlimited, often pages long, sometimes off the rails, off topic, flaming, chat room socializing posts needing to be watched. Sometimes the parts were discussed....

.I think it was added originally because of complaints that there was no where to discuss parts. The old classifieds had unlimited, often pages long, sometimes off the rails, off topic, flaming, chat room socializing posts needing to be watched. Sometimes the parts were discussed....

No I totally understand. Classy system changed and everyone freaked out because now there was no discussion ability. A bit down the road the decision was made to make a new section just for that... and it sits mostly empty and causes problems with people posting ads in there. 

I know it was suppose to be useful, but it doesnt really get used. So to stem further problems can it not just be deleted as it wasnt used like everyone complained they were going to?

No I totally feel you on organizational prowess... I have so many folders nested on my computer to keep things clean and organized, so Im with you. I just dont see the sections being used so much that we need individual categories. Since the change over there are like 50 threads in discussions with most being ads. Ill go through and count to actually get a real number. 

Edit: I just realized that there are no categories for discussion. All of the links under the Discussion header are all links to the classifieds section. Why? Thats incredibly confusing... 

Oh yeah for sure on the same page. 50 .. sounds about right guesstimate ?

me too on the folders .. or I try to :lol:

Yup no categories for discussion , and I think it just wasn't finished or tweeked as if it were :)  ( still relatively new really ? )

I think it was added originally because of complaints that there was no where to discuss parts. The old classifieds had unlimited, often pages long, sometimes off the rails, off topic, flaming, chat room socializing posts needing to be watched. Sometimes the parts were discussed....

Pretty much give or take.

No I totally understand. Classy system changed and everyone freaked out because now there was no discussion ability. A bit down the road the decision was made to make a new section just for that... and it sits mostly empty and causes problems with people posting ads in there. 

I know it was suppose to be useful, but it doesnt really get used. So to stem further problems can it not just be deleted as it wasnt used like everyone complained they were going to?

We just  search or hold discussions in forum itself I would suppose.

Sorry I should have addressed that as well. Yes if not used and causing probs then why have it. Those who wanted it most didn't like it and aren't here to use it. :)

Hopefully it gets the fat cut off modified first :lol: , but not my say.

I have enough knowledge of what I'm doing that I "typically" don't have to search. On occasion I do ! :D

In case anyone is keeping track, there are 6 non FS threads in 4 categories of discussion with a total of 49 threads. Out of those 6 threads one is a thank you for making them and one is a poll to bring back the old classifieds...

So really there are only 4 threads since the creation of the discussion section. 

^^^ I believe that ! The 2 (discussion and classy's) are so disconnected (yet connected)... enough people don't know what to do with them imho ...  :unsure: ... :lol:

Members seem to just ask questions everywhere else instead. Not a bad way to go either really , but it can be hard to compare as well.

Hopefully the gap gets filled ...giggidity ..

Alright I'll try to let this rest and soak for tonight as much as I can :)

Truthfully, it's almost better without a bunch of ads.  Saves the problem of people coming with lots of crap to sell who aren't really interested in Datsuns.  But I also haven't really used the new classifieds either.  Meh.

I think you guys are on to something.  I too scroll down the homepage sometimes, get confused, so I just scroll to the top an hit Classifieds.  I too had to ask where the "Classifieds" link was at first, and I still forget sometimes, because it blends right in with the background, and it seems counter-intuitive to the forum layout.

In response to the post above;  I buy and sell lots of parts off our classifieds.  I welcome everyone who wants to use them.  I see no issue with the system, just with the layout.

• Like 2

Truthfully, it's almost better without a bunch of ads.  Saves the problem of people coming with lots of crap to sell who aren't really interested in Datsuns.  But I also haven't really used the new classifieds either.  Meh.

Yes there is that an I'd like to think that the classifieds is a feature or service for contributing members BUT.... parts is parts. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. These parts are not made any more in many cases and you do what you can to keep your joy alive.

• Like 1

It was a lot easier to just ask in the parts for sale section. Then it was answered by some.  There were a lot of questions in the old classifieds. Maybe you have forgotten?

Yes a lot derailed.

The new discussion forum is a joke.  There are to many different sections anyone can post in related to a part question.  The current classifieds is still a joke. people post things in the wrong section constantly, cars in the parts, parts in the cars etc. 

My opinion of the new classifieds will just get me banned.  But, i agree.  Cut the shit down.  Maybe make one section for "Parts questions".  people can ask about a particular part, and not be lazy by posting a link to the part in question.  once the FS ad is gone nobody will know what part was in question or what it fit. That's how it currently works seeing how the ads drop off after 13-30 days or whatever.

Also, in the for sale sections. Do we really need Engine/brakes/dildos/interior.... Maybe just make Vehicles for sale.  Parts for sale.. Two sections, kinda like it was before? It is nice having all those sections but majority doesn't seem to post in the right spot and I have to sift thru the parts for sale anyways.... 

• Like 1

Also, in the for sale sections. Do we really need Engine/brakes/dildos/interior.... Maybe just make Vehicles for sale.  Parts for sale.. Two sections, kinda like it was before? It is nice having all those sections but majority doesn't seem to post in the right spot and I have to sift thru the parts for sale anyways.... 

I've never even looked at the discussion section, so I can't comment on that.  But, I've got to second izzo on this statement^   "Vehicles for sale",  "Parts for Sale".  The others sections are.... how should I say it.... umm.. not needed.  Less is more.  Also, less is less confusing.

• Like 2

Yes a lot derailed.

Christ I know that, I derailed my share.

Yes there may be too many sections... again perhaps a knee jerk reaction to allay complaints about the new forum. Perhaps it seemed like worth trying while other changes were being added?

• Like 1

I have a suggestion to make. I've read a bunch of these pages, and haven't seen anyone mention something about it. I also looked around for an easy way to search within these terms; by state, and found nothing that supported it.

Many of us are from all over, but I guess in my personal experience there are quite a few on Ratsun in or around Washington. I'd really like to search for stuff I might be able to pick up locally and leave shipping out of it.

This also goes for Events, especially. It would be super nice to sort by state hosted in. Maybe then I could find some of those local meet ups.

How do we implement this?

There is a couple ways to do this that I have seen.

Method 1:

The "easiest" and cheapest is to require the state (and maybe city too for something like Events) to be posted in the thread title.

Something like this:

[Renton, WA] Wednesday night hangout @ Ezelle's! Chicken lick'n good!!!

If out of the USA, use 3 letters instead of the state:

[Frankfurt, Ger] [Paris, Fra]

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do this particular method even. You could keep it free form and at least just require some hint of a location in brackets.

Why the "easiest"?? Well... it doesn't always follow through well with people posting. It requires more upkeep to keep things tidy.

Method 2:

Implement a software based requirement before posting the ad. This could be as simple as something like Craigslist; a box to enter the location with a text limit and it displays as a column in the thread listing next to the title.

It could be a little more upscale and have drop downs, selections, input validation (to ensure it's a real location and not klasjf20820), etc. etc.

This would just make searching SOOO much easier for things relevant to your location. Again, I hope I am not being an asshat suggesting this because there is some option I missed lol  :poop: .  :thumbup:

Looking at the classifieds, there is already an area inside the post that displays the location. Maybe if just that data was displayed in the ad listings that would be a great help. It could be displayed similar to the pricing, or by another column like the "time left" column. This would also make it so all previously made ads don't need to change a thing. Having your cake and eating it too is always nice. :-)

oh I have a suggestion .. go back to the old ones they worked fine .. these ones suck ....u here that ratsun ... the new classy's suck and worse u know it and u wont do shit about it ....and that's more insulting to your customer base then the sad excuse for a classified section......if my wagon doesn't get done im blaming the lack of ability to sell and find parts on my favorite site ever......come on haven't we lost enough ......jesus pull the plug ....I think the only way u could make these classifieds better is just by not having classifieds anymore.....its the old coke or nothing ..... shit ratsun even coke gave up on the new int here product and went back to what works .....WTF ARE WE WATING FOR .....!!!!!!

• Like 2

Can I get in on the fun too?

My suggestion.....get over it, adapt to the change, use the classifieds for what they are for....buying/selling stuff. If you feel like chatting about parts/items for whatever reason (and not buying/selling them) open a discussion thread in the appropriate topic. Holy craptarts...seriously...leave the classifieds alone. It's great just how they are.

• Like 2