71 dATTO cOMING ALIVE

Well as some of you know my story so I will keep it short......I wanted a 510...too expensive for a hobbie car for the wife...kept looking...found one for 800 in Nort bend...still too much...waited...saw it again for 100....convinced wife to go up there to look at it....she said get it. I bought it....brought it home...started adventure of gutting and body work. Dam car crublemt in areas due to rust.....found a shell on craigslist...traded wheels and 50 bucks for shell. Dragged it home and swapped all parts yadda yadda yadda.......chopped up rusty car made 45 bucks for scrap...sold auto tranny for 45 bucks made my money all back from car and ended up with a 71 510.......and today we primered the engine comp and painted it body color after about the last two months of welding and sandin...tell me what you guys think!! (Thanks Ratsun Garage for the info and parts!)

The desire to start a 510 build started out with just dreams and within a month ended up like this!

P2290058.jpg

After I transfered all parts...and cut up the rust bucket for scrap I got to work and heres a quick glance at what I have been doing

P4140001.jpg

P4140002.jpg

P4140003.jpg

P4140004.jpg

P4140005.jpg

P4140006.jpg

P4140007.jpg

Let me know what you thing! It looks way better in person!!!! Icehouse you gotta see it soon!!!!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.....I laid down a coat of DP90 after sanding my ass off. Then used Dupont 2 stage chromabase silver and eurathane clear. Found a couple flaws, a couple runs but way better than what it was......not bad for a garage job

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I have showed you guys anything in the garage but now I am getting excited......Tell me what you think

It all started in April when I picked up that rust bucket orange car....5 months later!!!!!

It all started:

P2290058.jpg

And now...a seat and full clutch assembly away from another Datto on the road.....and the first long trip shes gonna take is straight to Franks and Wolfmans :) Thanks Frank..Patrick and Wolfman for helping me get what I needed!

Front end and engine put in....

P5090003.jpg

P5090004.jpg

Lil 15" Z action with Ground Controls and ZX struts and Brakes

P5090006.jpg

P5090007.jpg

Gotta Roll the fenders still but its coming along!

P5090009.jpg

P5090010.jpg

Thanks man....I was hoping to see some input and ideas and compliments ha ha but not many I see....guess I gotta do more work huh :) Anyways....thanks. Two were painted when I got them but the other two I used the same matching DUPLICOLOR rim paint from schucks.....it turned out cool...I like black wheels....these are dark graphite gray. Two of the tires were shot so Im not sure what Im gonna do. I think TOYO makes Proxies in a 50 series...i so Im gonna get those to drop the coil overs even lower :)

Thanks guys!!!! The engine bay just looks ok because of the paint. I didnt rerun wires because heat shrink, wire and butt connectors is so much!!!! Removing the battery tray, wiper bottle and nozzles made it look better. Then I hid the rats nest datsun wires in loom thats all. Ya ice pointed out I said 15inch oops, I mean 14". I found toyo tires that are 195/45/14 and Im gonna go with those unless I can fit 205s on those zx wheels :)

Lil 15" Z action with Ground Controls and ZX struts and Brakes

P5090006.jpg

Looking good

Those wheels are actually 14''

If you want 15'' Z wheels, has to be from a Turbo Z.

Going to paint mine black too now

Does this rim look familiar? Different offset.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSCF3963.jpg[/img]"]DSCF3963.jpg

cept that the 720 wheel looks awful compared to the Z wheel. But i'm sure that the 720 wheel is stronger than the Z wheel :blink:

I think the Z wheel is a two piece, making it relatively light for an oe wheel. If they came in 14x7 with less offset I'd put them on everything I owned:)

• 3 months later...

Well Ive had a few no work days due to the snow so I made some more progress...

First stage of a paint job....much more sanding, mudding, sanding, mudding....fuck I hate bodywork

001.jpg

002.jpg

Bought a front airdam off a boxflared 2 dr.....fabin it to fit the front of the 4 door by cutting the width down and reglassing it

010.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by SRSANDS