71 dATTO cOMING ALIVE

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Well, today I finally bought my driveshaft. I came home and put it in. Went through the car to make sure everything was safe and fired her up. It would have been a extreme kick ass experience but my car was slammed to the ground and well that didnt go so well in my gay ass sloped concrete driveway....I got stuck ha ha ha. I had to jack it up with a old honda jack and a screwdriver cuz I didnt have the T handle and the car was even lower high centered on the damn concrete. Anyways after taking an hour in the dark to adjust the coil overs I got it to a ok height for the exhaust to clear most of the obstacles in the road. I went down the street and back. All I gotta say is holly F%&K!!!! On slight punch of the gas and the beast smoke the tires slideways! I ALLREADY RESPECT IT FOR SURE MAN!!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Wheww bringing my build thread back from the dead! Well, some of you saw my car I built at Canby. Been driving it for little over a year and for a short time it was my daily. Very reliable and fun.Down to Canby and around town. Its been sitting in my garage over the winter and havent done much to it. I needed to replace the front main seal and rear trans tail seal so I decided to just say screw it and dive into PHASE II of my dimes life. It kinda sucks because I know its going to be down for this summer....no car at Canby or Bluelake. But I think the wait will be worth the wait. Here goes the journey............a little sneek peek :) More to come over the next six months or year

PEEKABOO!

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010012-2.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

I think Im gonna need to invest in some rear disc brackets too :)

Ya I kinda feel you on that one...when I first got my 521 on the road and kept breaking down it got real old real fast. Almost made me stop my Datsun obsession. Its only fun as a hobby and not a DD. But now the 521 is super reliable so...

• 4 weeks later...

here is a few updates....let me tell you...super discouraging to take a step back to take a huge step forward if you know what i mean. Everytime I turn around I am dismantling something I already took time to do once before. Sometimes I wonder how I figured it out in the first place and also why am I taking my running VG car apart...ha ha but like everything else...if I dont mess with it then it will get old to me so......here are some pics. Nothing important...just some goodies I have been saving for and a start on the entire project ahead of me. Hope to be at Canby next year

Behind the grill fatty intercooler....painting the entire core support black also ;0

P1010038.jpg

I know parts pics are like wtf bfd....but more pics to come with each one installed....all flanges, megasquirt 2, wideband o2, tial wastegate, turbo xs rfl blow off, STI 560cc injectors, GM air and coolant sensors sorry for pics of parts...I really dont give a shit either when I see parts pile posts either ;0

P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Ive got a couple more things to collect before I make it all happen, turbo feed and return lines, weld els and tubing for turbo headers, two more STI injectors ...DAMN 4CYL'S, charge pipe piping and a different radiator ad maybe some patience if im lucky

• 1 month later...

this month I have been doing more head scratching than work on the 510. I really want to build seperate runner turbo headers that tie into a collector. I tried and tried to get the best route for each runner to clear the obstacles like the motor mounts, oil filter access and room for the down pipe. I decided that design for my project may be a little too complex for the tools and time I have to get this thing back on the road. I decided to build basic log manifold. I know they do ot flow nearly as well as the initial design plan but maybe later I will build a more complex free flowing set....I just want this car back on the road sooner than later ;)

Anyways I got a huge start on fabbing one of the two manifolds. It took me about eight hours and I still havent welded in the wastegate but making progress.

038.jpg

with the turbo mounted....i think i have to raise the flange two inches for more clearance and options to point the air oulet going to the fmic....oh the challenges...

050.jpg

wastgate will be mounted just behind the passenger headlights and a divorced dump tube is going to dop right through the factory hole behind the headlights where there is already a rubber plug

Painted the core satin black and permantley mounted the intercooler in its home

[055.jpg

054.jpg

i still need two more STI injectors, oil feed and return lines. weld a pipe to a hole in my oild pan, finish the other side log mani and should be ready to tune and fire

also have to