I scored a 510 wagon !!!

I did take Clayton's advice & removed the bottom leaf, flipped it upside down & reinstalled it on top. It rides similar to stock but a little stiffer. Later on ill add some blocks & bring it down more. John, i know the pipe is buggin me. I need to let my muffler guy re work it for me soon.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop it to the bump stops!!! :D hehe look'n good dude!! I want to see an in motion pic of you driving it. Like a shot from another vehicle, one of those you know.

Drop it to the bump stops!!! :D hehe look'n good dude!! I want to see an in motion pic of you driving it. Like a shot from another vehicle, one of those you know.

Ill see if my wife will shoot a vid sometime soon. When i drop it more ill have to cut the stops in half..:rolleyes:

Today i decided to drop the front a bit which will be ok untill i get my drop springs [soon ;)] I cut 3 turns off each spring & it gave me a 3 inch drop. While i was in there & cleaned & painted the wheel wells & bottom part of the struts...

before...

5-6DSwwB.jpg

after...

5-6DSwwA.jpg

pass. side...

5-6PSwwA.jpg

i also scored a Magnaflow muffler from the yard for $15. Its the same length & width as the stock one !!!

old & crusty...

5-6mufflerB.jpg

old & clean...

5-6mufflerA.jpg

the tip will be garbage when its installed BTW...and how she sits now..

5-6loweredFB.jpg

the ride is still really nice & doesnt bottom out :cool:

Today Ill find that out. Im taking her on a few rough roads :D Im seriously considering doing the Z car strut swap in the future or shortening mine & going with VW inserts.

Mark. Do you know what strut you would use if you put the z car struts on the wagon, I have the struts and I want to cut them down but don't know how much to cut off.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if you go with the 280ZX struts/brake upgrade you won't be able to run the Libre's your wanting to slap on your goon.

At least that's what happened when I was trying to fit some beater 13" wheels on my 510 which has the 280ZX struts/brakes. Just food (bacon) for thought.

I did take Clayton's advice & removed the bottom leaf, flipped it upside down & reinstalled it on top. It rides similar to stock but a little stiffer. Later on ill add some blocks & bring it down more. John, i know the pipe is buggin me. I need to let my muffler guy re work it for me soon.

Did you have overload leaf spring?

Cause that should have been the bottom leaf or did you remove that.

I will save you some time on playing around with blocks and movingremovingflippin leafs around.

Note that with the combination of these things can get you pinion slap.

You'll know it cause that thing will scare the hell out of you.

Also if your getting 510 lowering springs and will be using 280zx struts later, "I think" 280zx springs are bigger.

Don't waste your time shortening the stock struts with crappy brakes and small bearings. At least get some 280zx struts.

On a regular dime, stock calipers will stop very well using good pads and overhauled brake system.

Big motors (more power) and added weight, then dumped for a bigger brakes.

John, i talked with a guy here who did the swap. He used the ZX struts,cut bout 1 inch out of the height & used VW rabbitt inserts. What year Rabbit not sure but i can call him & find out. Hes running coil-overs & is running Libres & bump steer spacers & he had to grind part of his calipers to avoid rubbing. Mario,yeah thats why id shorten the stock struts so i can run the 13's PS bacon rules ! Brian, ive had tire weights fall off before on the freeway,good times! Took advantage of the overcast [seattle like] weather today & buffed out the roof...it shines !

5-7roofshiny.jpg

that huge box is for my woofers btw...:blink:

5-7PSshiny.jpg

Hey Mark PM me your address and I will get those springs down to you...we can work out the cash at a later date...or bring that buffer with you on your way to canby and buff my 69 wagon out and then i will be the one giving you some cash :D

Clayton

I personally would save the cash up and deal with the ride for now and do a coilover set up on a zx strut to give you the better brakes, thats just my opinion.:D

The only downfall with zx breaks is you can't run the stock rims :( The also move the wheel mounting surface inboard about .5" good in most cases. You need to raise the tranny tunnel and make some room for the diff so that baby can be on the ground :D Sorry I couldn't resist :D

Dam, so much work in so little time. That goon is looking better every day. Good find on the magnaflow, Also try and think of some kind of cover for that box. Hate to see the 510 lose a window or something over a pair of subs. Maybe just a black cloth stretched from the back seat to the gate, make it look like nothing in there.

Jeff; the back will go down 1 more inch for now until i get the 14 inch rims on i found at the yard [removed & hid] & i see the stance is. I dont want to do any cutting on this car, ill save that for the 620 :cool:

JM; i do have a cover in mind for the speakers i just need to design / make it.

Well i got up under her again today & stripped,cleaned & painted the axle & e brake parts, & waxed the rest of the gas tank [yes i know im obsessed :lol:] Also removed the middle bumpstop [wierd] so it'll ride a bit better now. And...had my JY Magnaflow muffler installed yesterday. I got tired of NO noise at all so went w/ this setup. Theres a VW stinger on the end which gives it a nice tone. Not too loud but you can tell its not stock anymore....

5-10axlepainted.jpg

5-10muffler1.jpg

5-10muffler2.jpg

Next id like to power wash the underside of the car & spray some undercoating, & maybe some more green :D