My Yello620

yello620

Still very happy with my 3.7 gears. Power is still ok almost everywhere. But thanks to Mklotz, i will be trying a set of 3.89 gears soon. I really think that they might be the best all around gear for my needs.

On a slightly different subject, i have been working on a new set of upper control arms for my disc brake swap. Never been very happy with my caster settings with the old arms. So when i get them installed, i will post some alignment numbers. Hoping for around 4* of caster.

Finalcontrolarm03.jpg

Finalcontrolarm02.jpg

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm a new user so i cant post any of my own threads, but hoping I can get some answers on your thread :mellow:

Basically I'm really thinking about getting a 620 one of these days, but im scared to death about how rare the parts are to find if it breaks down, And i'm not much of a gear head so I dont know much about doing a swap myself, but I'm willing to try.

I just fell in love with the look of this truck... Can anyone tell me are these relatively easy trucks to work on? and reliable, or am I in over my head for a noobie (Note dont have much money to spend, Im 20 years old). get another Honda? Or a street bike save some gas :(

btw i have experience with body work, did my own and first paint job with some rustoleum haha. but engine wise, I can Change oil! and a battery ohh yeah and i changed my radiator in my honda.. or is that totally a different animal haha.... but im up for the task of doing my first swap

sorry if this is very long and wrong grammer, i just have so many questions been trolling this truck thread for days

Edited by Phuongman416

Ricky, the harness cut was easy, once i understood the wiring diagram. It could be done without cutting if you wanted to, i just wanted the harness to look factory still. So i carefully cut, soldered, and retaped like factory.

Phu, there should be nothing stopping you from making your own thread and i would like to keep this one clean of unrelated topic. You should be able to click the NEW THREAD button toward the top left of you screen and start your own discussion.

• 2 months later...

Ok, heres a small update.

The 3.7 gears were removed and traded for a set of 3.89 gears. Definently the best gears i have had so far. Nothing else left to try either, already had 4.37's, 4.11's, and the 3.7's. These feel good going down the highway and i got a lot of my first gear power back.

I added a rear sway bar from a Nissan Pathfinder. Did the gears and the sway bar shortly before the Canby show/autocross. The rear sway bar made a huge difference in how the truck handles. Amazing difference. :D

And this week i spent many hours sanding and wet sanding some more to polish a few parts. They have not been installed yet, but soon. Cell phone pic is terible too. sorry

Polishedvalvecover.jpg

I also picked up another set of matching wheels that i dont need. I really only wanted the center caps.:lol:

So the wheels are for sale with four open front caps from a 4wd.

xterrawheels.jpg

I also picked up a L-16 intake manifold and ported it. Also got the L16 exhaust manifold. Now i need to get it to my exhaust shop and have the entire system done. Going super nice and quiet too. Probably 2" pipe though.

I also got the control arms installed that i pictured back in march, drives way better. Worked well at the autocross too. Havent gotten it to an alignment shop yet, just the stanley alignment so far. Working on another small project that effects the alignment before i take it in to be done correctly.

Ohhh, and i drove the shit out of it at the Autocross the day before the Canby show.:D

Edited by yello620
Ok, heres a small update.

I also picked up another set of matching wheels that i dont need. I really only wanted the center caps.:lol:

So the wheels are for sale with four open front caps from a 4wd.

xterrawheels.jpg

Ohhh, and i drove the shit out of it at the Autocross the day before the Canby show.:D

hey do those wheels bolt right on or are they like titans and need honed out...

ohhh, i hear you clownd on everyone at the autocross...wasnt surprized

hey do those wheels bolt right on or are they like titans and need honed out...

ohhh, i hear you clownd on everyone at the autocross...wasnt surprized

I did not bore anything to get them onto my truck, but remember that i bolted them to Hardbody hubs in the front and to a 79 620 housing in the rear. So i have no idea what needs done to get them onto true 620 front hubs. The center bore on these Xterra wheels is about 3 15/16"

Ohh, i didnt clown on anybody. But i did put down some decent times in a TRUCK.

Edited by yello620
4 spokes. the rims on the cruiser are totally cherry!! you need a white snake tape to blast when your cruisin' da cruiser

Here I go again on my own!:blink::D

Hey Jason. Could you tell us how you went about polishing your valve cover? Looks Great

Here I go again on my own!:blink::D

Hey Jason. Could you tell us how you went about polishing your valve cover? Looks Great

I used a mini DA to get the big casting flaws out. Then i spent well over 10 hours hand sanding on it until I was tired of sanding. It needs so much more still to make me happy.

I started with the DA, then by hand with 220(would not do that again), then 320, then 400, 600, 600 wet, 1000 wet, 1200 wet.

Then i took it next door to the body shop and spent about 20 minutes at a buffing wheel.

It does look really good, but i started to get picky and just never seemed to get happy with it. I kept seeing some little flaw, so sanded more and more. Finally had to call it good enough and go to the buffer.

I would skip the 220 sand paper though. I think that it made the deep scratches that i kept chasing.

And before you start sanding, take out the breather tube. It unthreads, but it has some kind of loctite on the threads. It WILL break if you try to unthread it(ask me how i know). If you get it warm with a small torch(butane) it will come right out. And a 3/8" extension slides right into it so you dont burn your fingers.:cool: Once removed, both pieces are easier to sand/polish.

I also buffed off the spot toward the rear that looks like it should have been for another plug wire holder. But it left a little dimple in the cover, so i took it to the shop next door and had a friend weld the dimple, then smoothed that out.

Good Luck

I'm not sure that i realised how much work this was going to be, but a very cheap improvement. All of my hand sanding was done with 5 sheets of sandpaper.

I got bored with no internet for a while, so I edited one of your pics.......

jasonstruckmodified.jpg

I think you should do it that way..........

I like it, But that would require a body drop to get it there and have a decent ride. I want to do it someday.

I added a rear sway bar from a Nissan Pathfinder. Did the gears and the sway bar shortly before the Canby show/autocross. The rear sway bar made a huge difference in how the truck handles. Amazing difference.

Tell us more about the pathy sway bar. Sounds interesting. Trucks looking great.

Larry

Tell us more about the pathy sway bar. Sounds interesting. Trucks looking great.

Larry

Yeah! I had to buy one for my truck for 200$ It nice to know about cheaper ways to make our truck handle better.

Larry

Top secret:D Really had to think outside the box to get it to fit, but it works great. But it is definently a tight fit.

Maybe i could post some pictures someday.:)