My Yello620

yello620

Ok, i have a new update. Have not done much lately though.

So after installing the Pathfinder rear sway bar, and about a year of drive time on it, i decided it was time to do something about the handling. The Pathfinder bar was just too much for the stock front bar. I knew that i could buy an ADDCO 1" front bar. But have not heard good things about the fitment of addco bars, and i wanted bigger than 1". I did some research about making sway bars and found that it is reasonably simple process. So i made my own out of 1.125" 4140, then had it properly treated to make it a sway bar.

frontswaybar001.jpg

frontswaybar002.jpg

frontswaybar003.jpg

frontswaybar004.jpg

frontswaybar005.jpg

swaybar005.jpg

swaybar004.jpg

I used a spare can of hammerite paint on it before install. Also had to buy new frame mount bushings, got the energy suspension greasable bushings and the grease zerks hit on my TC rods. The end links are heim joints at the bar and urethane at the control arm.

Have about 30 miles of dry road drive time on it so far, truck feels so much better already. Corners feel really good now.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, i can make more, but only if you are interested in paying for the true time that i have into one of these bars. I have somewhere around 15 hours into the build of this bar. Took a few hours to get it all bent, almost a couple more drilling those holes(those sucked), then three 2.5-3 hour drives(round trip) to portland with it. One trip to get the raw material, one to drop it off for heat treating after bending, then one more trip to pick it up when done.

You do the math, these would not even come close to being worth making. To make these worth the time, a person would have to charge more than most of us paid for our Datsuns.

My other new update is that i got four new tires on the truck in the last month. Changed tire size too. I was running 225/50/16's, i went one size smaller to 225/45/16. I put on Falken FK452's. They handle incredible, and drive way better in the rutted roads. Sad thing is i paid more for this set of tires then i did for the truck five years ago. :o

• 2 months later...

Well, updates like this one really suck. We had a thread a few months ago about the oregon gas pump jockeys that install gas caps crooked and then they leak gas on the right rear tire during a left hand turn. Well the pump jockey struck again. :( Filled my tank tuesday evening drove one mile home and parked it for the night, on my way to work wednesday morning i was stuck behind a slow truck for the first few miles, as soon as i got past the slow truck i needed to take a hard left turn at about 50mph. Got about halfway through the corner before the gas made it to the tire, then it was an instant slide. Mountain road, tall bank on my left(inside of corner), large drop off bank on my right. Rear of the truck came around and the front slid right into the bank as i am still sliding sideways, then the rear came the rest of the way around and a bit beyond the 180 point and the right rear corner came to rest up the hill far enough that i only had two tires on the ground.

Here are the pictures of the limited damage, feel pretty lucky that it didnt do more damage.

datsuncrashed08-11-10001.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10002.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10003.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10004.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10005.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10006.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10007.jpg

Got a lot of it straightened out already. I need to remove the front bumper and lower valance to attempt to straighten it a bit more. On the rear, the quarter panel pulled back out pretty well, i had a spare taillight bezel(black, not grey) that i bolted on. Will paint it later. Didnt break either of the light lenses, but scratched them both.

Ben there in my old 620 glad your ok . Bet your back is mad at you !

My back is actually doing better than i thought it would be, dont be fooled though, it hurts.

This is the third time that this has happened to me, both the other times were in a different 620 about 14 years ago.

I dont really like the idea of the pacific pride card lock, i dont want to have to get out of the truck every time to get gas. So i am thinking that i will find and modify a late model gas filler neck that has the modern style screw it cap that clicks when tight and they also have the backflow valve in the filler neck.

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update, did a bit of work to straighten out last weeks crash. The rear came out ok, needs a little more attention, but probably isnt going to get it. The front came out very well, also took care of a few extra dents that were in the front valance from previous owners. Valance hasnt been this straight since i owned the truck. And i got all of the valance bolts and bumper bolts out of the body without breaking any of them. They all now have anti-seize on them too. PICS :D

datsuncrashed08-11-10008.jpg

datsuncrashed08-11-10009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update. :cool: Last tuesday i installed a different dashpad, this pad didnt have any cracks in the top surface, had a handful of screw holes down low by the fuse box and a larger hole drilled into it by the dimmer switch, but still way better that the terrible dash that i had before. the old dash had about ten large crack and a small piece missing right in the top of it.

Enjoyed the new dash for four days, got in the truck on sunday morning and there is a crack down the middle of it right above the radio. :mad:

Then sunday afternoon, i installed a 5 speed trans. Took about four hours to do, no big deal. Get it all done and the pin that holds the shifter in will not fit at all, wtf? Used a bolt so i could go test drive it, drives good. This tranmission seems to take effort to shift, the 4 speed just fell into gear. Hoping that the sloppy shifter that has a bolt instead of the correct pin has something to do with how it is shifting.

55 mph cruise is now down to 2400 rpm, 60 mph is 2600. Still has power to pull uphill in 5th at 70mph too.