My Yello620

yello620

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where are the pic's of your truck when you had the big bling'n wheels on it:) oh yah i have some oil for you

No pics of those 18's on the truck, and cant get any now. They have been sold with the truck they were on.

Oil for me? Should i know something about this?

Picked up two more tires 225/50/16 for the other two wheels tonight. Found them on CL for $50 and they are near brand new. Will get them mounted soon.

Jason

Here ya go Jason. Hopefully this will help you visualize things a bit. And I couldn't leave well enough alone, so instead of just chopping a different cab on I got carried away and esentially made a new cab. So this is what it would look like if your truck had been special ordered with a kingcab on a shortbed frame

jasonsXcab.jpg

:D:D:D

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Abused my truck this weekend, hauled a load of scrap metal. Bottomed the rear suspension all the way out. Had nothing but tire sidewall for suspension, rode like crap. Good thing i only needed to go about 15 miles. Tipped the scales with an extra 840 lbs. in it.

I know you non-lowered guys can haul lots more than that

scrapload.jpg

I like that setup. did you tell them you have ball joints on it?? :)

Don't think that i mentioned it in this posting, Guess that i have some explaining to do. I have changed it a little more since we last talked too. Got a few pictures of the latest modification also. Will do a short write up another day. Hint-the front of my truck rides way better now.

Jason

• 3 months later...

So the local U-pull-it was having a 50% off sale on the 4th of july and i happened to have the 3rd and 4th off from work. All transmissions in the yard were $45. So i went looking for a 5 speed for the overdrive. The yard close to me didnt have any, so i started thinking that maybe i should take advantage of the sale and get a rear differential that isnt the terrible 4.37 gears. I had 4.11's in the past, not enough change. Was hoping to find a 3.90 third member, but no go. So settled for a 3.70 rear differential. Also took the speedometer drive gear. The differential and drive gear both came from a 85 720.

Installed the differential and the drive gear and what a difference. Really all the difference in the world. My cruise RPM's came down so much. Had very little effect on the bottom end power, i actually like the bottom power better now. I can actually go without running out of first gear so fast. Can make to the other side of the intersection before shifting. I cant wait now to get a 5 speed also. The cruise RPM will be perfect.

I havent put enough miles on yet to go through a full tank of gas yet, but i am positive that mileage is getting better. I install a tach tonight to verify my RPM's, and when i have time i will go drive down I-5 through the 5 mile speedometer check area. Before swap i was off .3 miles in the 5 miles test area. Pretty close. So that needs verified, but my speedometer feels close/correct.

Here is a pic of the tach installed. El Cheapo.

tachdrivingthree-1.jpg

And a pic of the tach and speedometer at 55mph.

tachdrivingtwo-1.jpg

Jason

Jason you should've gone to the fosters U-pull it and pulled a 5 speed from a 260z, the kiz and I were out that day as well. We ran into dave and dave but they were the only Datto heads that day. peace.

I actually like those wheels. Not as much as the titan wheels, but they fit nice with your lower. Did you have to mod any thing to make them work? I kinda want some new wheels but funds are low so I would have to sell mine. Btw the 6 spoke do look better.

I have sold the six spoke wheels, decided i liked the 4 spoke wheels better. I am not a big fan of the Titan wheels. They are a wheel that looks good on somebody elses truck, just not on mine.

Nismo--I called LQK and had them do a yard search for Z cars that entered the yard with a manual trans. They dont keep track of 4 or 5 speed. And they said that the only yard that had a manual car was in vancouver. And they cant tell you if the trans is still in the car. No big deal at all, i will get one another day.

Pretty damn happy with my gears, even if i dont see a mileage improvement, i like that my motor isnt spinning so fast all the time. And it is so much quieter in the truck.

Jason

Pretty damn happy with my gears, even if i dont see a mileage improvement, i like that my motor isnt spinning so fast all the time. And it is so much quieter in the truck.

Jason

Jason, what did you pull your gears from?......nevermind, reread the thread and found it

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on my truck. I recently found a 79 king cab at the JY with the super rare Intermittent wiper switch and wiring harness all still intact. I had never even seen one of thses switches before in a 620. So i took it, it appeared to be a plug and play deal. Found out that the 79 wiring harness is a little different. The 79 has 6 wires in the harness going to the wiper switch and the 76 only has 5 wires. Studied the wiring diagrams and discovered that the 6th wire is a power wire for the intermittent timer relay. So i again studied the diagrahm to find out where datsun got that power from so i could match it and make it look factory. Turned out very easy. Installed the switch, ran the harness for the timer relay that mounts on the passenger kickpanel and it works great. It is not an adjustable timer, would be nice if it was.

The very hardest part of this install was convincing myself to splice into a uncut factory dash harness. So i spent some time and found color matched wire and soldered it in and taped it just like datsun did their splices.

Ok here are the pics

Stock switch is on the left and the intermittent switch on the right in the first pic. Notice the different wiring connectors on the two switches.

Intermittentwipers001jpgsized1.jpg

Second pic the stock switch is on the right.

Intermittentwipers002jpgsized1.jpg

This photo is of the adapter wiring harness. One of the plugs goes to the stock harness connector and the other goes to the "new" intermittent switch. The black box is the relay timer that gets mounted on the right kickpanel. So the harness routs alongside the main harness above the radio and glove box.

Intermittentwipers003jpgsized1.jpg

Jason

By looking at the wiring diagrams for the 620's. The 79 is the only year that could have gotten intermittent wipers from the factory(dealer add on?). The 78 harness does not show the power wire for the timer relay.

Jason

With all the datsun trannys I've swapped to convert a 4speed to a 5speed I always got a 500 rpm drop,but I never swapped to a z trans I have been told they have a taller 5th gear?? All my swaps were truck trannys usually from 720 trucks to 620,s

Another 500 rpm would be really good, much more than that and i think it would be too much for the 3.7 gears.

Still very happy with the gears too. Need to go fill the gas tank and check the mileage. Only my second tank since the change.

Jason