My Yello620

yello620

Sounds like I need to make a trip over to your house and check out your truck. I guess I didn't look nearly enough at Canby. :rolleyes:

I am more interested in your brakes than anything. I picked up a set of dual pot calipers too.:D

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like I need to make a trip over to your house and check out your truck. I guess I didn't look nearly enough at Canby. :rolleyes:

I am more interested in your brakes than anything. I picked up a set of dual pot calipers too.:D

Well, you know where i live now.:lol:

Ohh, and i have started another top secret modification too.

Ok, here is an old update. Installed a rear sway bar from a Nissan Pathfinder. Guessing that it was about a 1990 model. Was from a 2 door Pathy, not the later 4 door. I dont know if that matters though. The bar was a freebie, so i thought i would try it. I purchase axle saddles for trailer axles from the local steel/trailer fabrication shop and added a couple of holes. Angle cut the ends so they didnt look so bulky, then welded them to my axle housing. Sorry, no pic of this. I didnt like how the sway bar angles came out with the pathfinder end links, so i found some shorter ones from a Nissan Sentra(93). I made a mount to weld to the frame near the spare tire for the end links.

yello620003.jpg

yello620006.jpg

This sway made a HUGE difference in how the truck drives.

The newest update is headlight relays. This took a while for me to find a product that made me happy. And i found it stareing me in the face the whole time. I wanted a compact box that held at least three relays and three fuses for those relays, the box needed to be able to be mounted nicely under the hood of my truck and have some kind of cover on it. I didnt want a bunch of relays and fuses screwed to the fenderwell. Looks tacky to me. After a lot searching i found what i wanted in Nissan's of course. I found that Nissan made modular design relay boxes. These boxes come in several sizes depending in the car, and multiple boxes can be snapped together. The relay connecter snaps inside the box too. Or they made a three fuse peice that snaps into the box.:D So after a little searching in the JY i walked out with this. I went back for more later.

Basically, I wanted it to look factory, Or darn close.

wiringrelay003.jpg

In this picture it shows how the peices come out. Sorry cell phone pic.

wiringrelay001.jpg

And here is a picture of the box, with lid that i ended up with on the second trip to the JY. I found that if i snapped several rows of boxes together that the JY only charged me for one relay box.

wiringrelay002.jpg

So, here are a couple of install pics. I opened up the factory wiring harness on the passenger fenderwell to access the wires to the headlights. The headlight switch is now just a trigger for the relays. I also opened up a spare engine bay harness to steal some wire from it so that i could have matching color wiring. Right now all connections are crimped and taped. They all have a peice of shrink tubing installed also. All connections will get the tape removed, then soldered, then the shrink wrap slide down and shrunk. Just dont have an acceptable soldering gun for this yet. Next week maybe. So the entire area of harness has lots of zip ties on it to hold it together neatly. The zip ties will all be removed as the harness gets re-taped after all the wires get soldered. I did have to make the bracket to adapt this box onto the fenderwell. Actual box came from a Pathfinder, that is where i found one with a fuse block inside of it. Nissan Quest had the fuse holder also i think. All the cars of the 90's had the relays, they were easy to find.

yello620002.jpg

yello620001.jpg

I tested the voltage to the headlights before and after too. Found another problem then too.

Before

low beam 10.8

high beam 9.5

After

low beam 11.5

high beam 11.25

So, thinking that these numbers should be a little better than that, i tested the output of my crappy GM one wire alternator that was on the truck when i bought it and never liked it. Ahh, 12.2 volts constant. Never more, never less. Yup, they made the one wire conversion kits for tractors for a reason i guess. So that will probably be one of the next upgrades, i have a system in mind.:D

Edited by yello620
OK then.:D

Izzo, what have you been drinking this evening?:lol:

nothing yet, thats the scary part :eek:

guess i just caught it, anyways

I really do like the setup you have in your truck, the sway and the lights. i have a front and rear sway setup from a pathfinder i need to pickup, 40 bux for the bars and all the pieces to it. Just a matter of getting there to get it sometime

I might do that, but i have been looking at a good one off the tool truck for a while now. What kind of soldering gun is it?

I have a small weller gun, gets hot. But doesnt produce enough heat to solder larger wires, just the small stuff. So it just pisses me off then. Time for a new one.

Yello....if you're going to use an iron, get one with a big enough tip. What happens with the small tips is the wire acts like a heat sink and pulls so much heat away it won't conitinue to solder. You'd most likely want at least a 40-45watt with a 1/4" tip. Otherwise, a gun should work....that just keep cramming the amps through the tip to heat things up. I used to solder wire scupltures as a kid....I had an iron with a 1.25" head on it....took forever to heat up and cool down, but dang did it solder nicely. A stained glass shop should have a bigger iron. The 40-45 wat one can be found at Radio Shack or Fry's. The guns are nice because they cool down fairly quickly.

Nice Jason, well I guess all my relays on my fenderwell looked tacky? lol I put my light relays under the dash.

I wish I'd known you were looking for these, I had several different setups from a nissan sentra when I was doing my ka swap, I just couldn't figure out which relays were what and what amperage they were. I wanted to do the same thing, but it looked like too much work (lazy I know).

I just bought a crimper that allows me to make the same type of relay holders for any 4-5 blade relay. The holders lock together like the ones in your pic. I'll be doing that for some ka harnesses I'm wiring.

The tool and connectors was fairly cheap. I get everything through www.waytekwire.com very cheap and they have most everything you need.

Nice Jason, well I guess all my relays on my fenderwell looked tacky? lol I put my light relays under the dash.QUOTE]

Not all i found tacky.:lol::D J/K

Here is the soldering gun that i have ordered. Used them before and had excellent results.

http://www.cornwelltoolsonline.com/CQTProdData/_____WCLG400C.html

Hope that link works.

Link works. That Iron should work great. I have just a cheap Weller that has the two wires for the tip connector. It does OK, just doesn't get hot fast enough on larger diameter wire.

Sounds like I may be delivering some parts to the Portland area. We should hook up for a barley pop. :D

Let me know, I need to go your way too. I need to get some parts from Luke(jesusno2).

You bes be making a pit stop at my house if you're down that way sucka! I only live 15 minutes from Luke's, and I'm on the way to Jes's. Might even have something you're interested in...;)