how often do you change your datto's oil?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be changing the oil every 3 months but the dirt, acids, unburnt hydrocarbons and whatever stays. This shit eventually ends up in the combustion chamber coating the rings, pistons, valve stems with a thick layer of ash. The rest plates to all engine surfaces.

At least change the filter a couple of times a year.

Royal Purple in everything I own. D21 and NX2000, 6000 mile oil change interval, 3000 filter change interval. 510 is every two months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

Every 250 miles cuz I have a lifetime supply of Pennzoil and Fram filters :lol: :lol:

Really though, I go 2500-3K on Castrol GTX high mileage, and K&N filter cuz I have a ton of them, or Wix. Also just found out Carquest filters are made by Wix, though this is probably common knowledge.

Aparently changing oil is something many a ratsuner has an opinion. At least the subject is one everyone has one, an opinion that is. For poops and giggles I drove down to the local jiffy pep guys for a oil change. This is before I had ramps and jacks for the truck, I figured what the heck $20 is no biggy and it will be funny to see them figure out how to get the truck over the pit.

Sur nuf when I pulled up all the dudes came out and rushed the truck. They started looking under the hood and asking questions, none of it about the oil change. I explained the engine wasn't original and gave em the numbers for the oil. At this point I was expecting them to say the truck was too low to go over the pit. Surprise surprise they pulled out pieces of wood to help me over the lip. Then my truck hung up on the rear suspension. All the dudes started scrambling, telling me not to back up. Then four of em lifted the back of the truck over the lip. The guy running this circus said it was good I didn't back up because I would've bent up my tail pipe something awful. Apparent he lifted it by hand over the lip and I don't think he was wearing gloves, yikes.

So all that to say I'll be changing my own from now on, when I feel like it or when a mechanical failure requires it. Or maybe I won't and my engine will fail and I can drop in a KA!

You may be changing the oil every 3 months but the dirt, acids, unburnt hydrocarbons and whatever stays. This shit eventually ends up in the combustion chamber coating the rings, pistons, valve stems with a thick layer of ash. The rest plates to all engine surfaces.

At least change the filter a couple of times a year.

And if you're going to stick to your gameplan, I'd suggest switching to a full flow filter as well...

about 4,000 miles daily driver. For those using synthetic oil and changing every 3,ooo miles your wasting your money. Had several discussions with mechanics not too long ago and they said that it all depends on the driving condition, if its dusty road condition then change more often...oil today is much better that before..typically 5,000 miles is okay.

I like to get my oil changed every 4000 miles.

I don't really leak any oil anymore so whatever I put in seems to stay now until I want it gone. I use synthetic, but I also put on about 2500-3000 miles a month on my engine, drive on alot of dirty roads, etc.. so I like to change it alot.

It's awesome how many different time frames and reasons people have for why and when they change their oil!

well like hvyd, i havnt changed the oil in the kingcab purposely for about 2 years...

i spin a new filter on every 6 months or so tho... just did it yesterday..

i know clean oil makes for a better running engine, but the fucker uses and leaks so much that i frankly done give a fuuu... lol

when i rebuild it, ill stop all the leaks and start changing it regularly...