610 street demon resurection

bonvo

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're looking at another $5-6k and 3-4years.. plus a few parts from Maddat australia.. . and you still won't know if the motor's any good

.... you could probably have a L20b swapped in on the weekend,, and be driving it that night

Jumping into a crazy motor swap feels great,,,, having a datto shell sit around for years while you try different motors, to only return to an L-series you can't afford and have to sell it,,, and then watch the shell sit around some more.. . yeah,, that fucking sucks ... L-series air conditioning for life!! ... I'd rather have a L20 than a KA24DE or SR20

i see what your saying indy but im looking at it getting parked for winter soon that would be the perfect time to do it that and ive always said that once the l20 dies i was going to swap something into it well it has died so why not do it?sure its not bolt in but i have the fab skills to make it work access to a welder since moving here as for sway bar im gonna make one the basic idea isnt complicated it shouldnt cost that much 2k-2.5k grand total all said and done

Damn, I have an L20B you could have.

YES.

We could play leap frog with the engine. Mike can pull it and deliver it to Seattle. There I pull the spacers and pressure plate for myself. I then deliver it to La Pine, Oregon where Bonvo can install the engine.

YES! YES!

sounds like an epic ratsun quest

YES! YES! YES!

I would cost about $150 just for ferry rides. Just pop the head and pan. Remove pistons and hone, cheap cast iron rings and head gasket. Probably under $100. Good for at least 20K or Canby whichever comes first.

YES! YES! YES! YES!!!!

NO!!!

whats wrong with an sr? for the price to build an l series the right way i can do a swap

Nothing wrong with an sr it's an amazing engine, but there's just something about a well done L that just makes you feel oh so right inside :wub:

I say you should pick an engine and stick with it, whether its a vg, sr, l, etc etc and just make it happen :lol:

Bonvo keep in mind the other issues that will pop up during a conversion to KA, SR, VG. Items such as wiring, fuel lines, and fuel pump, driveshaft, cooling, exhaust etc etc. it all adds up money and time wise before you blink you are six months into a conversion and it still does not run. Do as much homework as possible before you take the car apart and ask ask ask anything that comes to mind as far as questions go.

thats the plan i now have a daily driver so i can live with the car being down for a while and the will to drive it will keep me going when the yellow car got hit alot of people were telling me to get a complete car but i got one that was a shell and built it the point is there were doubters then adn i proved them wrong before ill do it again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alright guys i stand at a crossroads with the datto

i have found a vg30de swap local for 350 if comes with litterally everything (thanks just joel for checking it out) the problem is i would have to sell all of my l series stuff to get it i have a su carb set up an better cam a u67 head dog leg 5 speed and a rebuildable l20b im not sure which way to go no matter what way i go im gonna be spending about the same but if i go with the vg there is no turning back cause i would have sold everything off and since its a de it will be a tight fit and its not the vg i want so im looking for input here guys

It would have been cheaper to put a built LZ24 in my 710 wagon, and been driving it 3 years ago, than trying to make a previously running KA swap stay running/reliable, and fix the wiring/ECU/MAF/IACV/clutch/trans mounts/exaust/driveshaft/radiator/CAI/gaskets/sway bar?.. which are/were all supposed to be that last $100 push before it's a daily ... still have a horrible sounding tranny noise for a 91 KA tranny ... tons of time fixing little things and waiting for parts.... motor swaps are a pain, in your wallet/time/energy

the VG30e, single cam, is such a better looking mini V8 .... hearing it run or drive then pulling EVERYTHING you need makes a cheaper swap than parts hunting

If you can stand the car being down for awhile then selling off your L20 for VG parts really isn't an issue. What you have to think about is all the work required to get that DE in there worth it when you really want a different motor? It's going to be a pain like all swaps are and if it's something you're not going to be happy with, why do it?

see the car being down for a while isnt an issue its gonna be down for a while regardless because getting it running isnt a top priority right now i think i could be happe with a de but i want an e because of the many directions i could go with it yeah i could rebuild the l series but i dont want to keep the l series in the car forever i know i can get a swap in the car and running that isnt the question the question is do i want to do all that right now

I'm all for the swap. Just make sure whatever engine you put in it is what you want. If you can have the car down, then list all your L stuff for sale. Then when the right engine comes along snag it because you already have the funds available.

Maybe whenever that VG cones up for sale you still have all your L stuff... Then you have to scramble around trying to sell it and you might take a hit on price just to get rid of it quick. Then the engine you want might sell before you get it.

If you don't need to drive the 610, then I vote sell everything you don't need. But that's only if your heart is truely set on a VG. If that's what you want, then no L will make you happy.

I'm gonna just be blunt. You can't afford a swap right now.

It's cool that you have the Subaru as a daily but I would strongly advise against selling your current drivetrain just so you can afford to buy a setup you don't really want. My suggestion would be to save a little money and look for a running temporary L motor to make the car a driver again. At that point you need to just start squirreling money away and waiting for the swap donor you actually do want. Once you have bought all the parts you think you need, save another $500. Then do your swap. when it's all done and running, you can sell all your L stuff and have some pocket cash.

I've been through a ton of swaps and I can honestly say that it's really hard to stay motivated about a non-running project. Take your Chevy for example. If you had it running and driving it would be a bigger priority. Since it's not, it's kinda outta sight - outta mind. Keep your 610 a runner as long as you can. It's a great motivator. And please don't start a big project like this without all your ducks in a row. Job/housing/family situations can change quickly and turn a complete driver like yours into a parts car. We'd all hate to see this happen.

• Like 2

I'm gonna just be blunt. You can't afford a swap right now.

It's cool that you have the Subaru as a daily but I would strongly advise against selling your current drivetrain just so you can afford to buy a setup you don't really want. My suggestion would be to save a little money and look for a running temporary L motor to make the car a driver again. At that point you need to just start squirreling money away and waiting for the swap donor you actually do want. Once you have bought all the parts you think you need, save another $500. Then do your swap. when it's all done and running, you can sell all your L stuff and have some pocket cash.

I've been through a ton of swaps and I can honestly say that it's really hard to stay motivated about a non-running project. Take your Chevy for example. If you had it running and driving it would be a bigger priority. Since it's not, it's kinda outta sight - outta mind. Keep your 610 a runner as long as you can. It's a great motivator. And please don't start a big project like this without all your ducks in a row. Job/housing/family situations can change quickly and turn a complete driver like yours into a parts car. We'd all hate to see this happen.

Very true...look what happened to my 280zx. Besides, the DE is a pain in the ass to work on compared to the single cam VG.