610 street demon resurection

bonvo

The DE is a pita to work on compared to almost anything lol. Its also a boat anchor of an engine.

There is no way in hell a sr swap is going to cost as much as a mild L series build either Idk what number were crunched but they are wrong. Cost me under a G to build a high comp L28 with cam and triples, everything rebuilt. L20b is even cheaper.....

On a shoe string budget at you are and still wanting power I would pick up one of the turbo set ups floating around, or fab your own. I have seen a lot of successful draw throughs on the 4 cylinder L's and its such a easy set up to build, comparatively speaking anyway.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna just be blunt. You can't afford a swap right now.

It's cool that you have the Subaru as a daily but I would strongly advise against selling your current drivetrain just so you can afford to buy a setup you don't really want. My suggestion would be to save a little money and look for a running temporary L motor to make the car a driver again. At that point you need to just start squirreling money away and waiting for the swap donor you actually do want. Once you have bought all the parts you think you need, save another $500. Then do your swap. when it's all done and running, you can sell all your L stuff and have some pocket cash.

I've been through a ton of swaps and I can honestly say that it's really hard to stay motivated about a non-running project. Take your Chevy for example. If you had it running and driving it would be a bigger priority. Since it's not, it's kinda outta sight - outta mind. Keep your 610 a runner as long as you can. It's a great motivator. And please don't start a big project like this without all your ducks in a row. Job/housing/family situations can change quickly and turn a complete driver like yours into a parts car. We'd all hate to see this happen.

i like you being blunt and your right i cant afford a swap at the moment. ive been keeping my eyes open for what is around here and the de popped up

funny you mention the chevy im getting ready to work on it in about a week or so. but the chevy i bought knowing it would be a long term project i never planned on having it ready to run quickly

thats something ive been considering as well but im talking the de swap i found and a rebuild. as for an sr it would cost about the same to get stock sr power out of the l series then it would to just buy the swap

Your comparing 2 different numbers. Ya maybe getting that power out of a L would cost in the ballpark what a sr could be had for but thats a L series in the car running at one price point vs a motor sitting in your garage at another. Installed a SR is WAY more money then a built L. Thats the point everyone is making on the last page.

All that said if not L series there are cheaper, better options then SR or VGDE.

• 6 months later...

muahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

my sister fails as a camera person but it lives it lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all 4 intake valves were waaaaaaaaaay to tight 

Soooooooooooo youve been crying for months that you have a broken 610, but you only needed to adjust the valves?- isnt thats like Datsun mechanics 101? :poke:

:rofl:

At least you have a running 610 now :D

yeah yeah i know i fail but last summer when it didnt run i had another car to drive so i didnt stress it today it was a gorgeous day out and i was bored out of my mind so i went out and messed with it 

no one told me it was seized or blown the motor was having a hard time starting so a compression test was done and showed low compression we(meaning i with 2 automotive repair classes under my belt and my A.S.E. master tech father with 35+ years of experience in the business) put oil in the cylinders and it came up a little this is normally how worn rings are confirmed really i do know what im doing and the tests pointed towards worn rings just proves that the best of us can make mistakes 

Adjust the intake valve.... take a bit of heat..... cheap price to pay to not have to rebuild.

True story. 

Like I said, I need to do mine. Ive never done L valves before, though I understand the concept and have seen Mikes video a few times. Maybe Ill get a guru to watch me do it once so that it ensures my valve train doesnt fall apart like Jenga pieces when I try to run it after I adjust the valves. 

I bet it would help a lot of my running issues as well. 

Adjust the intake valve.... take a bit of heat..... cheap price to pay to not have to rebuild.

i agree but like i said we all make mistakes and the oil in the cylinders seemed to confirm worn rings im glad thats not the case though 

tristin adjusting the valves isnt that difficult but its easier with an extra set of hands to work the feeler gauges as you tighten the lock nut down

i agree but like i said we all make mistakes and the oil in the cylinders seemed to confirm worn rings im glad thats not the case though 

tristin adjusting the valves isnt that difficult but its easier with an extra set of hands to work the feeler gauges as you tighten the lock nut down

Yeah it looks super simple. Just for my first time I want to make sure I do it right and remember everything properly. Ive been saying Im going to do this forever... so I really should haha.

• Like 1

Yeah it looks super simple. Just for my first time I want to make sure I do it right and remember everything properly. Ive been saying Im going to do this forever... so I really should haha.

It really is a one man job, so cheap too like $10 for a decent feeler gauge and whatever a valve cover gasket cost.

• Like 1