Ricer Sightings

^this

Look I'd consider getting a z or something, but it must be compared to the bug. Can a motor be swapped in an hour? Can you buy a complete frame with complete suspension for under 3 grand brand new? Does it have no a/c (very important that it has nothing)? Are aftermarket parts largely plentiful? The problem is your datsuns were made for far fewer years than the bug

It does not need compared to a bug, period.

the engine can be swapped in less than an hour removal and an hour reinstalation. A bug is exactly the same, trust me I have done it, and I have seen it take much longer than some datsuns too.

the third question, yes you can, easily. a complete roller is easily 3k or less for nearly any Datsun. Hell I would venture to say that VWs are actually a bit pricier these days than %90 of Datsuns.

Uh, most have no AC, and the bug did have an AC option at one point I am pretty damn sure.

Are you kidding? There are as many aftermarket parts for Nissan as there are for old VWs.

Again are you kidding? I see more Datsuns of specific models than I do VW bugs.

The VW Bug was made for so long (going off a design that dates back to the early 1920's) because it was cheap and people always buy cheap. The cheap car is the one that sells. The Nazis designed it to be cheap, reliable, and easy to produce. It is in reality a shitty car in 2014, a Datsun actually has a lot of features still found as standard in the same fashion as they were 30 and 40 years ago.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make valid points. I can see the problems with a vw. What I don't understand is why people can get brand new motors for bugs and not for datsuns. Also the frame. Airkewd makes custom frames for the bugs. Is there a company that does that for datsun?

Well most Datsuns don't have frames.

If your engine only made 35hp from 1.2 liters, how hard is it really to copy? So how hard would it be to make parts for an engine putting down a whopping 17hp per liter!! Woot!

Let me put it this way. there are literally lawnmowers with more power now. Of course they make new engines, do you know how many people copied Briggs and Stratton? Its pretty easy to copy and make air cooled engines that have been redesigned 100 times in the last 100 years by 100 different people.

On the other hand the reason your not gonna see Datsun crate engines, brand new and produced by someone else, is because a water cooled, over head cam, inline 4 engine with the HP/Liter an L series has is not a walk in the engineering park. It requires a lot more than a VW flat 4 does. And yet devoid of new technology, VW pushed this engine for over 30 years

• Like 3

Can a motor be swapped in an hour? Can you buy a complete frame with complete suspension for under 3 grand brand new? Does it have no a/c (very important that it has nothing)? Are aftermarket parts largely plentiful? 

You forgot one question. Can we talk about ricers in the ricers thread?   :rofl:

The problem is your datsuns were made for far fewer years than the bug

I've never once considered that to be a "problem".  B)

• Like 2

I used to be an aircooled guy... had a built 66' bug for a while on airbags and my 64 notchback had a built 3.0 Porsche turbo motor on megasquirt. It got out of its way in a hurry.... only problem is I was blowing transmissions left and right

• Like 2

^^this

......by the way...........REPOST :P

LOL! Damn thread is turning VW vs. Datto discussion, I subscribed so I could see stupid rice :blink:  and :rofl: , not  :hmm:

And I know it was  re-posted  :poop: , but it is pretty frackin funny! Besides the thread needed a good smack back in the right direction :frantics: , look at it as a "re-fried"  ;)

Yeah but in Elmers defense,  Kenturky is at least 3 or 4 months behind Pacific standard time.

Umm...Winter...Moss is on that side of the tree...3 months, 2 weeks and just a hair over an hour and seven minutes to be exact!

So how many cars did you find in the yard after you mowed it this time?  :lol:

• Like 3

Haha it's all good! I think a 240z is around 700lbs heavier than a bug. That means 110hp on a bug will be pretty fun. Maybe 200hp on a z?

Its rarely ever the max power that makes a vehicle fun, its usually the torque, and Datsuns have tons upon tons of that when tuned right.

Don't remember the episode or the quote but on top gear I remember James may saying that the most fun you can have if a car is when you're driving it at its limits. In many Datsuns that isn't very fast but its fun as hell!!

You realize that James has no idea what he's talking about right? He's never been close to the limit in his life

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-22-13_zps6e6ca3

You might ask why is an s14 in here? Well let me tell you the story... So this is my little brothers friend and he's into "drifting" he just got his licences and this car a few months ago. He says he's going to put an RB swap in it and put a rocket bunny kit and blah blah blah, so I tell the kid that's cool and all but before you try to do any of that you need to upgrade your breaks and suspension and various other parts to control being sideways. Weeks go by and I chat it up with him and he talks about going out drifting and such, and I ask where at and he replys "O down the street by the school". Keep in mind it's a residential area with cars all around like any other so I tell the kid don't be a dumb ass, our area isn't right for that kind of activity and of course like most 18yr olds now days he replys " I know but it's just so fun", w/e it's out of my hands at this point and may have been from the get go but I tried to steer him the right way, I told my brother and a few of my other friends who know him he wasn't going to make it out of his first year of driving without any accidents, then this happens...

Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-22-37_zps3a1fc2

Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-22-51_zps80ce01

Bro sent me a pic and I asked him what happened, supposidly someone hit his car while he was at his friends house a few blocks away and they never bothered to stop. I called bullshit because I know this kids a dumbass, I ask questions like where was he parked, what time was it and such and I get generic responses but im not buying it. Then my bro tells me his lca and tie rod are done and I knew for a fact he was lying. I asked my bro to get the real story and come to find out he was "drifting", where you might ask.... by the fucking "school". Did he stay and own up to is shit antics? Of course not he jetted out of there like a coward and tells mom and dad someone hit his car while he was at a friends house, I gave the tard and ear full and he has yet to stop with his car antics, this car will be a total loss before the end of this yr :bye:

• Like 2