• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats why i said maybe i wanna shoot it and see if i get the stripper clip thing down first 

I have stripper clips and never use them lol

They work but take some practice to work smoothly and some of the cheap clips just never work smooth.

• Like 1

I have stripper clips and never use them lol

They work but take some practice to work smoothly and some of the cheap clips just never work smooth.

There's a world of difference between Mosin Nagant and SKS stripper clips!  I have to resort to all kinds of foul language to make MN clips work whereas only the occasional "Son of a bitch!" flies with the SKS.  YMMV.

Side note - not Moisin Nagant.  The best stripper clips in my opinion are the Mauser 98 and Springfield 1903 ones.  I have found them to be interchangable since the head diameter and overall design are identical in all practical dimensions.  Springfield Arrmory was forced to pay Mauser a royalty on 1906 Springfields due to the overall similarity in design.  Did not include WW2 production! The end "retaining" tabs on the charger clips are indeed prone to eventually break off, but the spring pressure on the cartridge bases is sufficient to retain a full 5 round reload.  [After all, the design was to jam the 5 rounds down into the magazine, shove the bolt forward and watch the brass clip fly off into No Man's Land.  You did not waste time pulling the clip, that's what could get you killed!]

I got a lot of WW1 surplus 30-06 ammo very many years ago in original canvas "Dough Boy" bandana slings. [OK, it was in the 1950s] Since they were corrosive primers, I only reloaded them for low power 30-30 equivalent loads.  One of the cartridges actually had a 1903 headstamp!  Needless to say it was never reloaded and I still have that empty case!

I have a Rossi 96 in .45 Colt and at one time had a Rossi Mare's Leg... also in .45 Colt.  Love, love, love the 96!  It is one of my favorite guns and probably will be with me until I achieve room temperature.  The Mare's Leg was a hoot to own/shoot, and got a lot of attention at the range, but I couldn't really finger out a practical use for it.  Oh, and it had the giant, retarded-ass Lucas McCain "Rifleman" loop, which I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

My step dad's father bought a sako finnbear magnum brand new in the late 50's early 60's, he hunted with in until the late 90's. About 20 years ago he fell on it and broke the stock just behind the tang, glued it back together and said it was good enough. The rifle has been sitting in a safe since then because its not shootable in that condition. A month ago I found an original stock for it in the eBay, it wasn't cheap in the end but my step dad was pretty damn excited to be able to use that rifle.

IMG_20160125_081819_zpsxknjfgwz.jpg

And it looks damn good too.

• Like 5

My step dad's father bought a sako finnbear magnum brand new in the late 50's early 60's, he hunted with in until the late 90's. About 20 years ago he fell on it and broke the stock just behind the tang, glued it back together and said it was good enough. The rifle has been sitting in a safe since then because its not shootable in that condition. A month ago I found an original stock for it in the eBay, it wasn't cheap in the end but my step dad was pretty damn excited to be able to use that rifle.

IMG_20160125_081819_zpsxknjfgwz.jpg

And it looks damn good too.

Sako is some good shit. was thinking of getting one myself.

• Like 1

That rifle is the reason I bought my sako a7, I know its not as high of quality but its better than a savage or a remington.

That finnbear is close to 60 year old and has killed hundred of animals, the action is still butter smooth, and I mean butter.

Sako actually started making the finnbear again recently, based off the good ol sako 85 action, they come with a nice European walnut stock on them too.

• Like 1