nukeday

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Folgers euro type tail lights are awesome :blink: and those backseats WTF!? That definetly is not a 4 door converted.

For the tint removal, don't use a razor, you will scratch the glass, better use or a hair dryer or nail remover.

those tail lights look fucked stupid,same with the front. cant stand when people do that fucking redneck,

white trash shit to cars.but it sounds like its in good hands now. the rest of the body looks good.im jealous

that its a 69 and you have the hella old 1600 valve cover.good luck

those tail lights look fucked stupid,same with the front. cant stand when people do that fucking redneck,

white trash shit to cars.but it sounds like its in good hands now. the rest of the body looks good.im jealous

that its a 69 and you have the hella old 1600 valve cover.good luck

oh....... :blink:

I like the front! And the rear lights look cool too from the rear. Im sure you could change the soup cans out and put in round led trailer lights that would look good. Its a good start to something cool I think. Screw all the negative nancys dude.....you got a 510 project thats all that matters!!!!CONGRATS......I want a 521 bad! Im sure when I do get one its gonna be in the same condition as your 510....thats all I can afford in my budget :)

I'd leave the tail lights alone, as long as they work. Replacing a rear tail panel is a LOT of work if you want to do it right. I think the quad circles could look cool if done right. See if the semi truck tails fit into the cans, could end up working out ok. May look ghetto from the inside, but most people will never see the inside anyways. If you hate it in a year or two, then look into changing it.

As for the tint, black garbage bags and straight ammonia works AWESOME! I did that recently on my 2 door to remove 2 layers of tint. Remove the windows, and then put the windows in the garbage bags. Hose down the windows with the ammonia, close the ends of the bags, and let them bask in the sun for the afternoon. After a few hours the tint should fall off relatively easily.

I saw the rear shot of the tail lights and thought, OK that doesn't look horrid, maybe not my style but they look like they'll work.

Then I saw the trunk shot of them, I got to laughing so hard, I nearly spit out a nut.

Limited budget and Yankee ingenuity is all I can say.

Went out and tried to check it. It is definitely a 4 speed, reverse is far right and down. Looks like it's about 25/26" long, my tape kept getting stuck. I'll get a better measurement when I can get it off the ground.

Take a good look a few inches forward of the shifter. If it's a 4 spd it will have a narrow cover plate with air vent and six screws holding it on like this:

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

Also can you post a picture of the shifter from the side with boot out of the way?

Here is a picture of a SHORTY FS5W71B 5 speed. This one is for a Z series motor but there are some L series around most likely from a 720 truck. This one was from a 4X4 so no speedo drive on it. It is possible to swap an L 5spd bell onto one.

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

Here is one that has the L front case and may be stock. Note that the speedo drive is on the left or driver's side. Also the rear mount is for a car. This is totally the opposite of all other B type trannys. I don't remember where I got this picture... does anyone else remember this tranny??

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Never heard of a shorty 4 speed. What side is your speedo drive on?????

Mike - I still haven't actually gotten this car up high enough to inspect the trans. I took a side photo of the shifter, and the riveted on cover plate. I didn't check the speedo drive, but if the last photo you have here is a 4 speed, that might be the one. There is a spine that the trans cover is resting on, just ahead of the shifter.

Wait 'til you see the trans crossmember. :poop:

327_2769.jpg

327_2770.jpg

Drained all the juices today, pulled the radiator, thermostat, fan, starter and dizzy.

Anyone have a trick for removing a 12 point nut that been rounded off?

I can only get at it from straight on. Rear most lower bolt on the exhaust mani. I'm planning to just pull the long block and leave the intake/exhaust in the car. I abhor messing with exhaust flange bolts.

What do I bolt the hoist chain to if the lift hooks are missing?

What do I bolt the hoist chain to if the lift hooks are missing?

I can't say it's the best or safest way to lift the engine, but my lift hooks are missing and I wrapped a heavy tow strap around my motor a couple times, making sure to get it caught under the front pulley and behind the exhaust. Then I used the hooks on the tow strap to lift the motor out with the hoist. hope this helps, just BE CAREFUL!!!!! :unsure:

Mike - I still haven't actually gotten this car up high enough to inspect the trans. I took a side photo of the shifter, and the riveted on cover plate. I didn't check the speedo drive, but if the last photo you have here is a 4 speed, that might be the one. There is a spine that the trans cover is resting on, just ahead of the shifter.

This why I love this site. Interesting tranny stuff.

The only 26" L trannys I know of are the F4W63 4 spd from a 521/510 early 620 (and they aren't exactly the same) the FS5W63A dogleg 5 spd from the 200sx and optional tranny A-10 and the FS5W71B 5 spd. from the 720?

Your shifter doesn't match the first and your reverse position doesn't match the dogleg. It matches the 720 5 spd but you say it's a 4 speed. So I await pictures of this unknown beast. :lol:

That car is a snapshot in time. Like a chopped '50 Merc or a '70s van with a dragon mural. My vote is engine swap, sort out the wiring and safety issues, general cleanup, drive it. Enjoy!

That's the closest to my own sentiments as I've heard here. Thanks Driven. :)

On the L, should I leave the intake/exhaust manifolds on when I pull it? I have another L series factory manifold. The head on the car is an A87. If (when) I break the exhaust flange bolts I could put the other manifold on. What's this thing about round and square ports on the L16 mani?

Here is the one on the car. It has 5160 cast into the center runner, and U60 cast into the rear runner. It's hard to see in this photo, but the flange bolts have been removed and the headpipe is bolted on from below.

327_2776.jpg

Here is my spare. The flange bolts will need to be repaired if I use it. Stamped 6198 on center runner, U60 on rear.

327_2774.jpg