nukeday

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I got to looking at the replacement engine and realized the crankcase vent boss on the driver's side is different than the engine in the car. When I looked at buying the car, I looked at the head, but not the block.

Turns out, I've got an L20 in here. Usually I'd be all 'Yay!' and stuff, but now I'm concerned about the trans and flywheel combination.

Is the flywheel on the L20 larger than the L16?

In the car:

327_2793.jpg

Replacement engine:

327_2794.jpg

Block in the car:

327_2796.jpg

I'll know more when I get the engine out. I'm considering just putting a stock 4 speed back in it, with the L16. If this trans will bolt up, then I'll leave it for now.

Looks like I'll either need an L16 exhaust mani, or I'll have to swap the head to retain the current exhaust.

I don't want to reverse engineer the whole car, it was obviously souped up at some point. I just want a driver.

Anyone interested the L20?

Did some more measuring, looks like the motor mounts and trans flange plate are the same dimensions. Now the question is the input shaft for the trans...

sssr20det510 looks like I need to make another trip to see you. Any chance you've still got the stock exhaust manifold?

You will probably need to shorten the down pipe if you are replacing an L20B with an L16. The L20B is about 3/4" taller then the L16 so the down pipe is longer on the L20B.

Also IIRC, L20B has a 6 bolt flywheel and the L16 has a 5 bolt flywheel.

You can run the old square exhaust on the round port head, Ive got the L16 mani and down pipe on mine and its friggin tight. It just barely touches the side of the transmission and occasionally clanks when I start it. Also you should be able to just bolt up the L20 to the tranny thats in there. If your manifold doesnt leak at the y pipe Id say just pull the old motor out and bolt the new one in... Youd save alot of time and money.

Have you looked behind whatever that is on the frontend to see of the PO just stuck a piece of metal over the front apron? Other than that it looks like it could be a fun driver/project.

You can run the old square exhaust on the round port head, Ive got the L16 mani and down pipe on mine and its friggin tight.

I'm an old guy. Tight as in a tight fit, or tight as in 'sweet, awesome, cool...'? Sounds like you are thinking the L20 is going in place of the L16, it's the other way around. If the square port mani will bolt up and seal, I may just try to use what I've got. I'll have to do some test fitting...

Have you looked behind whatever that is on the frontend to see of the PO just stuck a piece of metal over the front apron? Other than that it looks like it could be a fun driver/project.

I think it's safe to say whoever did the bodywork on this car is either not owning up to it, or is long forgotten. I'd guess the work was done in the late 80's based on the suspension mods. Regardless, the front sheet metal has actually been formed, it has a pair of crimp/body lines pressed in. No apron or any type of support behind it. It's riveted to the front fenders, and the curve at that mounting point provides some of the rigidity. Additionally the center 'scoop' adds some strength.

You can see what I'm talking about in this photo:

327_2760.jpg

Interesting to me that the crease actually runs through the cut outs for the marker lights. While not professionally executed, I like the concept and the overall outcome.

So any idea what you have here? Year? Trans? Mods? Type of grind/roast for the tails?

-Title says it's a '69.

-Front valence modified, rear panel modified, taillights modified, spare tire well cut out and replaced with flat sheetmetal.

-L20b w/4 speed (don't know which one yet, probably from a 620/720). Swapping in an L16.

-Custom gauge panel, door panels, custom seats.

-Lowered with Moog camber plates, 200sx modified struts, Z dual piston calipers, 15x6 Nissan steelies. Still don't know what's been done in back.

-No markings on the taillight 'housings', but I'm going with Yuban.

Still trying to name the car, and Can-Can is starting to sound about right. :D

same overall diameter.

clutch surface = may be different... just use the correct PP combo with your flywheel

Excellent. The L16 already has a clutch and PP on it, and Jeremy pulled it from his driver. It's looking more and more like this should be a pretty straight forward R & R.

I'm an old guy. Tight as in a tight fit, or tight as in 'sweet, awesome, cool...'? Sounds like you are thinking the L20 is going in place of the L16, it's the other way around.

hippy! :P

are there plans to rebuild the L20 and R&R again? or ???

hippy! :P

are there plans to rebuild the L20 and R&R again? or ???

Maybe, but probably not. I'm not really that great of a mechanic. I think I'll be fine with the 1600. I know people are looking for the L20b, this one also has an A87 head. It's anyone's guess as to what's been done internally, and I'm not that interested in finding out myself. It did run, and although it stopped and sounded awful, it's NOT seized. I was able to rotate the crank yesterday, it might actually just have a bent rod...?

All I can say, is that car is proof that meth can cause you to spend hour after hour on some very, very bad ideas. The car also helps prove that most of these ideas involve as little cash spent even at the cost of some very screwed up applications.

you have your work cut out for you...in some cases...literally.

All I can say, is that car is proof that meth can cause you to spend hour after hour on some very, very bad ideas. The car also helps prove that most of these ideas involve as little cash spent even at the cost of some very screwed up applications.

you have your work cut out for you...in some cases...literally.

It's really a conversation piece, isn't it? The comments range from blistering disgust, to lukewarm, to Drive It!

I bought it to daily it, not impress anyone or restore it. I know it's not a perfect dime, I also know that it probably won't be as long as I own it. I don't actually have any plans to 'fix' any of the body mods. I plan to put a decent interior and electrics in it, and just drive it.

I love rat rods, but don't have the time, skill or money to build one. This is as close as I'm gonna' get.

Can someone post a photo of a mounted, stock, rearview mirror for a 510? I've searched here and the web, with no luck. All I'm finding is seats, and dash photos.

it goes in the center mounted to the roof, there will be a braket it clips into, if its missing you will need the bracket if i remember right