nukeday

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you use the disc codes?

I actually ordered these as part of the 'purchase' budget for the car. These are the problem areas on both of the trucks, so it seemed like a good idea to get a head start on spares. I had a discount code from a previous purchase, I even posted it to the rock auto thread.

datto510 you've got a PM :D

Had it running today, got the thermostat set about right on the cooling fan. *I think*.

Had a fuel delivery problem and got rid of a bunch of extra fuel lines and filters.

Idle was erratic, and I found one of the carb mount studs is stripped, that did not make me very happy.

Got it timed to about 10 BTDC, starts right up every time now.

That's it for today, took me way too long to figure out why it wasn't getting fuel... :(

The starter is sticking a little bit, so I put the battery on the charger last night. Started up first turn of the key this afternoon. Think I've got the fuel problem figured out. The Mr. Gasket pressure regulator was set too high, and I think I've got that dialed in as well, I'll know better when it's on the road.

Put my new wink mirror up, there were already holes for the brackets. :D

Vacuumed up a bunch of junk out of the cowl and front floors. Cleaned and vacuumed the inside of both doors. What is the function of the slotted hole in the center of the cowl panel? Is it a drain of some sort? Is there a way to blow the crap out from the bottom of it? I got the top inch or so of needles and stuff out, but it's still pretty much plugged up.

Was going to drive it around the block, but I need to make more permanent fixes on a couple of electrical items and the fuel lines. Plus, the brake pedal went right to the floor. Might try to get the new rear wheel cylinders and shoes in, in the next couple of days.

I've got the cooling fan kicking in about 240F, does that sound about right? It seems to run an awfully long time after I shut the car down.

It's getting closer!

Edit - Goofing around a little today, it looks like this car (or most of it) was originally sort of a pastel green. I think this color, Datsun Paint code 546.

Bled the brakes, got the fuel lines fastened down and took it for a spin around the block. It rides like a buckboard, the doors rattle in every conceivable way. Clutch is slipping I need to see if I can get anymore adjustment out of it.

Discovered that the rear light/pan thing has been installed right over the original rear panel. The outer skin is very thin sheetmetal.

th_328_2811.jpg

th_328_2812.jpg

Put a spring from an old window shade on the short piece of fuel line to keep it from kinking.

328_2813.jpg

Here's the original color.

328_2819.jpg

And the wink.

328_2820.jpg

Nuke, that thing is so goddam ugly it hurts my feelings...

...and I LOVE it. :)

Funny, you said earlier - "I want to build a rat rod but I can't afford it".

A "rat rod" that requires money is a POSER car. You, my friend, have a REAL rat in the truest sense of the term. Congratulations. :)

• Like 1

Been thinking about this car a lot. Imagine that. I'm just not sure which direction to go with it, if any.

I don't plan to change the front or rear valence, but I do want to upgrade the interior, seat belts, and dash.

As for paint, I'm not a great bodyman, but I think I want to change the color. I have access to a good air compressor and paint guns, and some hammers and dollys.

Any photochoppers out there want to help me out? I'm considering going back to the original color. I think with the right accents, it would be OK. I know from experience that a lighter color doesn't show the bodywork as much. So that's idea #1. Grayish, updated seats, & original green.

Idea #2, Hot Rod Flatz black, but with a white roof and minimalist white scallops. It's already too hot inside with the black roof. I was thinking also about a tri-color scheme. Gray roof, black car, white scallops. Maybe paint the rims gray or red? Something like this:

Road20Agents20040316.jpg

Ducktail+Run+2009+014.jpg

I don't want to totally lose the mad max vibe, but the interior currently isn't workable for my needs from the car. It's got to have seats, and seat belts for at least 4, preferably 3 point harness belts for mounting child seats. Wonder what Rockatansky would think of that...lol...

Fisch? Madness? Anyone?

I have a set of his front floorpans in my garage that I dont need. I can ship or you can pick up in Astoria...

Got these today, datto510 gave me a good price and I couldn't pass it up. He is leaving next week and still managed to get these shipped out. He also stuck an extra lower flywheel cover in the box, Bonus! Thanks datto510!

So, now I have to restock my change jar for the '69 dash. Got the correct wheel cylinders for the rear, but still haven't had time to get them in.

When I drove it around the block last week, it pulled real hard to the right, it's probably going to need tie rod ends and a serious alignment to get the camber set properly.

Working with BJW and edakotaford on seats, planning a road trip to Seattle next week. If I can figure out a way to pay for it I'd like to pick up the dash and maybe some rocker panel covers from sssr20det510, in Vancouver. If I've got time, I'll probably stop by Mike K's as well, for some 521 stuff.

I'd really like to drive this mess to Canby. :)

What are you doing for seats? If I get some new ones I'll have to get rid of mine. They're not stock and they're comfy.

BJW's got a stock rear, and sent me photos. Looks like it's in nice shape. I am also buying a set of stock seat risers from him, right now there are none with or in the car. I might not need them, but ultimately it might end up with stock seats front and rear.

dakota has the SE-R front bucket seats, but sold the rear before I could get the money together. (He waited on me a long time, that's not a negative comment.)

So for now, that's the plan. SE-R in front, stock in back. I had hoped to buy Skib's stockers out of the wagon, but I guess they won't work in the 2 door since they don't fold forward.

I need to figure out where it's leaking before the new floors go in. Right now it looks like the drivers side window won't go completely shut. It sits funny in the opening and I don't see any way to adjust it. The window channel felt is so fried it wobbles all over when it winds up and down. The wettest spot in the car is directly under the window crank, it may be that the door seal is leaking right where it begins to arc downward. Eventually I'll spray it with the hose and see what I find.

Here are some pics of my scalloped 620.

This was my first complete paint job that I did myself.

I was surprised that my father let me back to his house ever again after this one! This is 1991 I think. I didn’t keep his truck for too long – some guy offered a wad of cash for it…and it disappeared.

Anyways enjoy the ideas; at least you get to see the job on a Datsun. You even get to see my old flared wagon in the background with 13X7 Libra’s and then ultra cool 235/50 – 13 TA’s.

620_Dually0001_Small_.jpg

620_Dually0002_Small_.jpg

Byron

OK, making some forward progress on this thing. Hope to have a full set of seats, a correct dash, and maybe rocker panel covers by the end of the week.

Need some help on locating a windshield, Safelite quoted me $740 new/installed. That's too much for my blood. Has anyone in the PNW ordered a windshield gasket from the guy in Prineville on ebay? Looks like it's similar to the datsunlandsocal unit, 'cal-look' without the groove for the trim. My windshield is not cracked, but it has a lot of wiper burn on the passenger side, if I'm replacing the seal, it makes sense to find a better windshield.

Next item is the clutch. I've been watching the thread about bleeding a hydraulic clutch, but the problem I'm having seems to be diagnosing what's wrong. Jeremy told me the clutch slipped a little bit, but as it's installed, it slips a lot. I may just order a new slave and soft line and quit messing with it. I can't figure out if it's sucking air somewhere, but that must be what's going on.

When I get the rear seats in, I'd like to put in shoulder belts in back, has anyone done this?

How do I remove the vent panels on the rear roof pillar? The little plasti-chrome things, do they come off from inside the car?

on the vents the come off from outside if plastic 70-73 if metal 68-69 than inside, on windshild i can get it for 265 installed with seal

You rock. I'll set something up with you to get a windshield in. Will the shop you use come down this far? Or do I need to bring the car to you?

So the pillar vents on this car should come out from the inside, thanks. I didn't want to pull the sail panel upholstery until I was sure I needed to.