nukeday

Spent today driving up and down I-5, not my first choice for a day off, but it was productive.

Picked up front SE-R buckets - Thanks edakotaford

Picked up stock rear seat and stock front seat risers - Thanks BJWs510

Picked up stock '69 dash w/gauges and stainless rocker panel covers - Thanks sssr20det510

Always nice to talk with sssr20det510, he's full of 510 tidbits that make working on stuff go so much smoother. His 510 is quite an interesting story, it keeps progressing, and it's gonna' be killer. Didn't get to meet BJWs510, but I did meet his housemate. Really nice gal, she even handed me the seats over the fence. I have a soft spot for Swedish cars and they had a couple of nice bricks sitting about, the dogs were even nice to me. edakotaford is getting ready to go overseas, so not sure when I'll get to see what he does with that A87 head, but it was nice to meet him. Said he's getting new exhaust, but I really liked the sound of his goon as it is.

The weather here was nice all day, but pretty erratic up and down the I-5 corridor. I ended up putting all this stuff in the cab of the F-150. To tired to photograph or even unload it tonight. Photos soon, thanks Ratsun!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up stock rear seat and stock front seat risers - Thanks BJWs510

Your welcome. Glad you got the goods

Didn't get to meet BJWs510, but I did meet his housemate. Really nice gal, she even handed me the seats over the fence. I have a soft spot for Swedish cars and they had a couple of nice bricks sitting about, the dogs were even nice to me.

The GF is Great the dogs are what keep me sane and the Bricks, Man Have I had a few Volvo's. Dad Had a volvo shop for25+ years.

Here is a quick pick of the volvo's I have now

Picture+051.jpg

And My favorite volvo,RIP

5252_100510426632311_100000200612739_12705_4075945_n.jpg

I miss that car.

Any ways Thanks for grabbing that stuff.

Bryce

... and now back to your regularly scheduled Datsun thread. :P

- Installed new shoes and one new rear wheel cylinder, rebuilt one brake adjuster

- Installed flywheel cover

- Adjusted and cleaned the carb, again. Still starving for fuel, I may remove the regulator altogether.

- Adjusted the clutch

Drove It! Woohoo...it's fun! Now it shifts and stops pretty well. Having some trouble getting it into reverse. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Not yet legal, but still fun... :cool:

Old fart? lol...I always thought that was my dad. But, hey time marches on... Guess I'll have to accept it.

Just got back from Philomath, picked up some stuff from 72coupe510. Not sure I'll use all of it, so if there was something someone wanted, PM me. I mostly was after the windshield trim, might use the rear belts too.

So far, a pretty productive Datto day. The 521 was giving me dirty looks when I was in the garage tho'... :unsure:

Tore the interior out today. I have a pretty decent stock rear carpet, but the rest of it is pretty ghetto.

I was disappointed to find the rear drivers floorpan is in worse shape than I thought.

328_2878.jpg

328_2877.jpg

The rear seatback had a surprise for me. It's bolted in from each of the rear wheelwells and it folds down. I didn't feel like jacking the car up to get at the bolts.

328_2879.jpg

Discovered why I have so much water inside. Both top corners of the windshield gasket are lifting. There is a 1/2" piece actually missing on the driver's side. Not thrilled with it, but I RTV'd both corners down.

328_2880.jpg

That's it for today.

Well, it folds forward. But it's not split or anything. Just the whole seat back. With the lower cushions in, it made for a sort of package shelf. But it sure looked stupid. And now I've got two holes in the wheelwells to fill. :angry:

What's funny about the rear seat is that I just had both rear wheels off. I redid the rear brakes and completely failed to notice these bolts. They are covered in dirt and road grime, but it's pretty obvious they aren't factory. Clever and functional in a way that's consistent with the rest of the car, but certainly not a quality 'upgrade'.

I'll have a seat for sale soon, 'It fits PERFECTLY in the back of a 2 dr 510!' puahahaha :D :P

Has anyone used fabric paint to change seat colors? This stuff from fabricspraypaint.com looks pretty trick. I'm curious how it holds up, how long it stays put, how quickly it fades, etc...

I've had good luck with changing vinyl/dash colors using Duplicolor Fabric/Vinyl spray paint, but I've never tried it on fabric. The prep agent for vinyl makes all the difference, and I don't think it works on fabric.

Trying to figure out if I can actually make the interior all one color without having to lay out the expense of reupholstering everything.

Got the back seat out, finally. There were a couple of layers of masonite and even some sheetmetal behind it.

328_2892.jpg

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something for the stock rear seatback? I set it in place, and there are two prongs on the bottom that line up with some holes. There is nothing else to hold the seatback to the car though. I looked the seat over, and there are no clips or anything missing that I can see.

I put the bottom in with no problem, but again there is nothing to hold it in place.

328_2893.jpg

This is typical for water barriers in this car, these are the last two. They are butter tub lids fastened to the kick panel with RTV.

329_2906.jpg

Anyway, I scraped and wire brushed and generally cleaned up the floors. I used a product similar to the Rust Doctor that Mike Klotz talks about. It's water soluable, and cures in about an hour. I put some JB weld stick in some of the smaller holes, but I'm going to need a better solution for the long term. This doesn't look like much, but it represents quite a bit of time.

329_2904.jpg

I may try to just reseal the floors in order to get the car ready for Canby. I can't justify spending the money on the floors AND the front/back glass gaskets.

What is this thing?

328_2894.jpg

... and now back to your regularly scheduled Datsun thread. :P

- one new rear wheel cylinder

monitor the old side.

often the pressure will cause failure on the old when only 1 was replaced.

Discovered why I have so much water inside. Both top corners of the windshield gasket are lifting.

check that the cowl drain is clear as well.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something for the stock rear seatback? I set it in place, and there are two prongs on the bottom that line up with some holes. There is nothing else to hold the seatback to the car though. I looked the seat over, and there are no clips or anything missing that I can see.

I can't justify spending the money on the floors AND the front/back glass gaskets.

there are 2 'hooks' that the back slides onto and is then bolted (2???) at the base. its been a long time since ive had a back seat.

the bottom goes in last.

:unsure: street signs for the ratsun flinstone repair ;)