My 77 620 Kingcab

]2eDeYe

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a chance to read through the whole thread, and I'm really liking the direction you are taking with the truck. Its nice to see a truck thats being built to be driven hard, and after watching some of your wheelin videos, I can tell you drive them hard ;).

So what do you intend to use it for. I autocross with a few toyota pickups...its cool to see them out there, and one of the dudes is actually pretty fast.

So what kind of manifold are you using for the webers? I thought you have to use one of the "S" style Cannon ones...just wondering if other ones will fit.

Oh yeah, and I just came home for the weekend, got the 2nd set of stickers. Thanks alot man, they look great, can't wait to see them moving around on my car :D.

Nice prerunner you had there xtrmemtnmn :cool:

Duke,

Thanks, I plan to use the truck as a truck, but I also want to be able to take it out and throw it around some corners. We have quite a few fun roads around here...Not to mention those road trips to Canby and the like, gotta keep up with all the 510's and Z's :)

I haven't gotten into the autocross thing, but I may check it out once the truck is finished. It'd give me a controlled place to play hard and dial everything in.

I wasn't able to test fit the carbs that I picked up, as my truck was already apart when I got them. So that's one of those details that will be worked out when I get to that point. I will most likely need to get a different manifold, the one my carbs came with was off of a 510. Maybe you could build me one :D

Glad you like the stickers :)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been playing with the truck lately. I'm working on cleaning up the frame, man those leaf spring mounts are on there...:mellow:

I am making a new crossmember for the ebrake stuff. I plan to run a one piece driveshaft, so no worries about mounting the carrier bearing. The new one is 2 X 4 .125 wall rect tube. I used the old crossmember as a jig to locate the new holes for mounting the ebrake brackets.

The origional crossmember was twisted to hell, it actually sprung out when I made the final cuts. The bolts were a little ground as well. :lol:

Ok...on to the pics...:D

DSCN4834.jpg

DSCN4876.jpg

DSCN4874.jpg

DSCN4875.jpg

DSCN4881.jpg

DSCN4882.jpg

DSCN4887.jpg

DSCN4883.jpg

DSCN4891.jpg

DSCN4892.jpg

DSCN4893.jpg

DSCN4897.jpg

DSCN4898.jpg

DSCN4900.jpg

DSCN4901.jpg

Haha, thanks guys.

Jester, it's that direction to make it easier for drifting :lol:

I'll be picking up some gas for the welder, some more grinding wheels and flap discs this weekend. Progress should hopefully be ongoing throughout the winter :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Coilovers all the way around - they are pictured in post #130.

I still have some clean up to do on the frame and I should be starting on the rear 'notch' pretty soon. After that I'll be working the front and rear suspension.

It's slow going, but at least it's going :D

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/driveshafthoop.jpg[/img]"]driveshafthoop.jpg

When I installed the trans case the front end was still torsion bar so I had to leave that cross brace on. I call this picture the 'drive through' but seeing yours cut off got me thinking that I no longer need mine now too.

The torsion bar crossmember sit's right between the tranny crossmember and the ebrake crossmember. I figure the 3 crossmembers in about 2 ft or so is overkill, so I'm not gonna run one at that position.

I'm also adding a crossmember in the rear of the truck to mount the 4-link. That should more than cover any loss in rigidity from losing the torsion bar crossmember.

It's already there Mike, might as leave it. Besides it looks like a nice driveshaft skidplate :D

• 1 month later...

Another crossmember bites the dust. :P

Picture009.jpg

...and another :D

Picture005-1.jpg

Temporary structure.

Picture006-2.jpg

Prepping parts.

Picture001-1.jpg

2 from one.

Picture005.jpg

Plates located.

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007.jpg

The plates are tacked now, just gotta make the cuts and weld in the pipe.

• 1 month later...

The plates were cut on a plasma table by a somewhat local guy, turned out better thn I expected. I'll be welding a plate to the top of the notch and tube gussets on the bottom to get the frame section past the center of the pipe. Not sure if I'm explaining that right...

Yep, the frame is upside down right now. Much easier to weld on and stare at that way. :D

Thanks for the compliments guys.