My 77 620 Kingcab

]2eDeYe

I'm just gonna strip the new cab and frame where it sits at my buddys place. I can store the cab there until I'm ready for it. Should make it a little easier to get around in my garage for about a month or so.

Ya, the pile of parts is a little staggering at the moment....

Blue tip wrench will definitely be the teardown tool of choice :D

I'm gonna be running the older rear axle. I'll have to let you know on the one in the new truck when I get to that point.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should ask...I was debating posting progress til I had more 'actual' progress. At the thinking stage now. :blink:

Anyways here's a few pic's and progress notes. :rolleyes:

Overall shots.

DSCN3361.jpg

DSCN3362.jpg

Setup ride height. I should have an inch of adjustment up or down with the coilovers. 2"x4" rectangle tube under the frame there.

DSCN3359.jpg

Clearance issues. I need to clear 3.5" at the frame and the crossmember has to go. Right now the frame is sitting on the axle and I have about .5" between the frame and the 2"x4" tube.

DSCN3358.jpg

General idea of link placement. Triangulated 4-link. Gonna try to have the uppers adjustable to give some anti-squat - no squat - some squat. Not sure which way will perform the best so we shall see...

DSCN3364.jpg

A bit of rust to contend with, but the cab will be going to the blaster to kill off the majority and give me a clean base for repair. Overall though not to bad.

Here's the worst.

DSCN3363.jpg

Still haven't got my coilovers yet. Everytime I have the cash something comes up. I figure when I come to the point that I 'have' to have them to continue, I will. Before I get those though, I will need new bushings and balljoints for the front so those will be the next purchase after I get back from my birthday trip to Disney/Vegas :D

I'll be working on gettin the clearance issues sorted in the meantime. With some Jeep time and honey-do's thrown in for good measure.

Here's one of the latest honey-do's still in progress... :P

Hae to finish the patio portion and the path around to the backyard...

DSCN0035.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was thinking I would start a new thread, considering I'm finally starting at the beginning. :P

What do you guys think?

...anyways here's where I am currently. Not much 'real' progess but...

I'm trying to plan and optimize this build as much as I can. I've been working on my rear suspension geometry with this 4-link calculator. It's an Excel sreadsheet.

http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/files/4BarLinkV3.0.zip

Here is a thread about the calculators. There is also a 3-link calculator there as well :cool:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204893

You just plug in your numbers for you link end center locations and it calculates your antisquat, roll center and under/oversteer (roll axis). It also calculates your Factor of Safety for your links and rod ends, you just plug in sizes and materials. Pretty cool stuff.

So I started measuring stuff :D

Here's the screen shot of the calculator with my numbers so far.

4link2.jpg

I know from a bit of reading that I want a little negative understeer and a bit of anti-squat to get the rear to twist correctly and plant thru the corners. I'm not exactly sure how all the numbers work in real life, so I'm making the lower links adjustable. I'll be able to change it up and see what happens. Education through the seat of my pants so to speak. :)

I'm also working out my brackets with some modeling software. Once I have it the way I like, I'll be able to get the brackets CNC cut. At that point it should be like a jigsaw puzzle. Fit the pieces and weld them up.

4link1.jpg

This also get's me to a point where I have some questions.

Any of you guys on here have any opinions about link geometry and putting the power to the ground through the twisties? Most of the stuff I have read is high on definition, but not on meaning, if you get my drift :mellow:

BEEBANI, Do you have a 620 frame modeled? Did you ever digitize your rear axle? Would really save me some measuring time on my upper link mounts. I would be willing to compensate of course :D

Fineline, Can you measure how far apart your coilover mounting tabs are? Do you remember the bolt diameter? I haven't got mine yet (but overtime has kicked in at work :))

I also want to thank bagged_datsun again for the deal on the links :D

I do Steve, it's fairly accurate, I have the axle about as close as I could get it without measuring in 15 different places. pm me your email and I can send you over my cad file. It has a 4-link already drawn into it so you can tweak it and move it how you want it.

2eDeYe;85791']

This also get's me to a point where I have some questions.

Any of you guys on here have any opinions about link geometry and putting the power to the ground through the twisties? Most of the stuff I have read is high on definition' date=' but not on meaning, if you get my drift :mellow:

[/quote']

Anyone? Bueller?

Steve I like all the computing :D The planning is the most important part. Have you tried moving the point at which your 4 link connects to your frame up? I mean just in the model? It seems like that would give it a lot more anti squat. Maybe 3 inches higher. I would just like to see what that does to the geometry. I don't know if you would want to do it in real life due to bed and all but it would be fun to see what exactly changes. It may create to much over steer though... These are all just thoughts, I have no education to back them :D

• 2 weeks later...

I musta missed it :D

Ya, the upper mounts height is pretty much set. I don't want to get into the bed at all.

I can see what happens in the calculator though. Just a couple number changes. You think I need more anti-squat?

It actually brought the antisquat down to 59%. It also dropped the roll center and inch and brought up the understeer to -16 (I think).

I'll get a screen print later today.

Now I'm thinkin I may make the upper frame mounts adjustable as well, to see what those changes will feel like in the corners.

The more I read....the more and more jealous of the front end adjustment you guys can get out of the 510's...may have to go custom control arms up front...bastards :fu:

I have been thinking about that myself, I'm sure we could come up with some custom control arm design made out of tube. I would be up for that myself.

My prerunner 620 we used the original a-arms and extended them and beefed them up.