mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

The hinge pins are pinched in...

This bolt is a bit long. I'll get a slightly shorter bolt and put a nyloc nut on it. That should serve quite nicely as a removeable hinge pin.

100_2354.jpg

Mike I used a large nail, like you would use for 8x8 wood beams in a landscape garden. I cut it to length and threaded the end then used a nyloc nut. It looks pretty clean that way.

520004.jpg

520005.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brian :)

I understand not making Canby. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a hard time justifying the time/cost to see it when you've got a front row seat on the build for free :) If you heard about the '64 Fairlane I just bought, you know that my motivation to finish is even stronger now!!

I really would like to come by someday and we can all go through the thread page by page. I have been directing our friends to the thread. Everybody wants to know what happened to the truck, and it is nice to be able to show them that it is being "reincarnated". :)

• Like 1

Mike, curious if you've seen the hinge setup on a 90's F150? It's similar to a closet rod hanger. If you open the tailgate to a certain angle, you pull one end up and the whole gate comes right off. Nothing to mess with, and it goes right back on instantly. The relief cables for dropping it, have a tang that you press and they also slide right off. Not sure the Datto gate has the integrity or clearance for an end hinge setup, but this would allow you to remove the hinges completely. :)

328_2822.jpg

I blasted the heavy stuff off the floors and around the gas pedal and a handful of other spots....not just the one :)

The chevy trucks have a quick-remove setup too...I don't think there a need to be able to remove so quickly, it's just nice to have the option. I just want it off for now to make the body work easier :)

Real progress?? Say it isn't so!! :) Dave and I actually made some forward progress yesterday!!

Couple of pics of the gas pedal prob. I need to put some new steel in there and make it stronger than stock so it won't happen again. I may get to this today. The pedal bracket is already sanded smooth.

100_2387.jpg

100_2388.jpg

Test fitting a couple of booster options. I'm going with the bigger one, partly because of the size and partly because of the pedestal. The small one is a B210 booster. The alum pedestal on it over lapped the steering/firewall seal. The larger one is from a 620? I don't remember for sure...I mainly bought it just to check options, but I've had it for years. It hits the inner fender, but you can see there's nothing in the way in the wheel well, so I can move the metal into that area.

100_2392.jpg

100_2393.jpg

100_2395.jpg

100_2396.jpg

Some of this stuff really isn't in order, but I don't have the time to sort it out, so up it goes....you'll figure it out :) These holes are getting filled. They are for the "christmas trees"...the little plastic plugs that hold the insulation to the firewall....which will get covered with sound deadener and not the original piece.

100_2397.jpg

Popped the studs out of the pedestal and the firewall. Also cut the inner fender....we figured out later that there was a better way....oh well.

100_2402.jpg

100_2404.jpg

100_2406.jpg

100_2407.jpg

The firewall has a bump in the wrong spot....that needed to be changed. We thought about cutting/welding, heating up red hot and hammering.....then I thought we might try my hand nailer. I bought anvils for it years before I even got the nailer...I knew I'd get the nailer and have a use for them. Dave held an anvil behind the firewall while I "hammered" the bump down. We were both extremely surprised at how easily it flattened and reshaped the metal!!! I should have used this on the inner fender to gain the clearance I needed. Oh well.

100_2419.jpg

100_2420.jpg

100_2422.jpg

100_2423.jpg

100_2424.jpg

100_2425.jpg

100_2428.jpg

Not gonna need the clutch....but I did need the space taken up on the pivot....I'll clean this up today.

100_2430.jpg

100_2436.jpg

MMMmmmm.....power brakes :) I think I'll also add a brace to the end of the booster. I need to add some more metal to the pedal mount too. In fact, I'd better get busy.

100_2437.jpg

100_2438.jpg

I thought I'd weld this back up and push it back down with the nail hammer.......not coming out very nice, but I can clean it up more when I do the eng compartment.

100_2439.jpg

100_2440.jpg

I didn't spend near as much time on Mend as I should have. Got a bit side tracked wasting time on the Fairlane. But, I did make some more progress. :)

I think the pics will explain themselves for the most part.

100_2459.jpg

100_2460.jpg

100_2461.jpg

100_2462.jpg

100_2463.jpg

100_2464.jpg

100_2465.jpg

100_2467.jpg

100_2470.jpg

100_2471.jpg

100_2478.jpg

100_2482.jpg

100_2485.jpg

Actually, that's the clutch pedal...there are no brakes :)

If I'd actually put in the time in the shop, I'd get things done a lot faster too! I still need to weld the pad to the pedal, but I had some tv watchin' to do. I need to get busy on the disc brake mod, then run the lines. Oh...and pull the trans :)

I guess I'd better make this quick...I see I have some pm's to answer.

....so the devil is in the details.....that's where all the time is too!!!!! :(

This is what I came up with to fix the gas pedal problem. I figure the sheet metal lasted at least 30 years...this ought to hold up for the life of the rig. :) The plate on the eng side of the firewall has tapped holes. I tightened the bolts in so they would hold. I won't weld them. That way, if I bolt strips or snaps, it can be replaced. I'll weld up the firewall side when I do the eng compartment.

100_2486.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2488.jpg

100_2490.jpg

100_2491.jpg

100_2494.jpg

100_2497.jpg

100_2500.jpg

I also got the clutch pedal spacer cleaned up a bit :)

100_2501.jpg

100_2503.jpg

I wanted some reinforcement where the booster bolts went. I added a couple of pieces. I think they'll be more than strong enough :) I still need to mount it up again and drill the holes.

100_2504.jpg

100_2505.jpg

100_2506.jpg

100_2507.jpg

100_2508.jpg

100_2509.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, that's a big-asses clutch pedal! Will be great for heel an toe and double clutching under race conditions. :cool:

Nice work on the booster too.

Ah, sand blasting... brings back fond memories of digging sand out of my ears. I'm still cleaning sand out of places in the cab and engine bay that I didn't even know were places.

Thanks guys :)

Hopefully, I won't have to do any more sandblasting. I do need to get it all cleaned up and wiped down so that I can treat the rust and start prepping for paint.

I would have liked to have done a cleaner job on the reinforcements to the brake hanger, but I had to keep reminding myself that it would never be noticed anyway. I was just looking at it a couple minutes ago.....with the firewall and brake hanger mods.....I guess I'm pretty much committed to making the auto trans fit!! Sure hope I have a good trans!! I'm thinking I need to get busy on the trans swap :)

Guest kamakazi620

Thanks guys :)

Hopefully, I won't have to do any more sandblasting. I do need to get it all cleaned up and wiped down so that I can treat the rust and start prepping for paint.

I would have liked to have done a cleaner job on the reinforcements to the brake hanger, but I had to keep reminding myself that it would never be noticed anyway. I was just looking at it a couple minutes ago.....with the firewall and brake hanger mods.....I guess I'm pretty much committed to making the auto trans fit!! Sure hope I have a good trans!! I'm thinking I need to get busy on the trans swap :)

If it's a bunk trans,I gots a free borg warner that works!!!!