mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm startin' to feel the burn again! :) I needed to pull the fenders in order to try to find the leak. Gonna have a bit of damage to fix on them while they're off. I may just need to move the wgn into the back yard so that I don't have to move it everytime I want to get Mend closer to the sandblaster.

100_2236.jpg

100_2237.jpg

100_2238.jpg

100_2239.jpg

100_2240.jpg

100_2242.jpg

100_2243.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2245.jpg

The heads on the fender bolts are pretty short....so here's a trick to keep from stripping them. I took a 6 sided socket that I've never used and ground the bevel off the end so that I get as much bite as possible. I did break a couple of bolts, but less than I thought I would. You want to use penetrating oil if you can and turn them slowly. Turn them too fast, they heat up, expand and bind....snapping the heads off. I'll try to remember to put pics up of the bolt fixes. Basically, drill/tap the hole. If need be, I'll have to cut out the metal, weld a new nut to the backside and weld the metal back in place.

100_2232.jpg

• Like 1

Mike - I see you have the windshield out of MEND. Can you give me some guidance here? Are the windshields and rubber weather strips the same on a 521 & 520? On ebay the weather strips are listed as "Datsun 520 / 521 windshield weather strip". Also can you point me to the best source for the front and rear windshield seals? I don't want to buy the cheapest if it's going to crack or split in a year. I think I should have a couple new windshields in the next few weeks.

Thanks buddy!

Mike - I see you have the windshield out of MEND. Can you give me some guidance here? Are the windshields and rubber weather strips the same on a 521 & 520? On ebay the weather strips are listed as "Datsun 520 / 521 windshield weather strip". Also can you point me to the best source for the front and rear windshield seals? I don't want to buy the cheapest if it's going to crack or split in a year. I think I should have a couple new windshields in the next few weeks.

Thanks buddy!

I did the comparison personally between the 520/521 windows and I did not see a difference. The one guy that was really opposed to this info was from australia, so maybe down there they were different. Datsunaholic also agreed that they are the same.

As for a source, I got the front locally from a windshield dealer...last one...dirt cheap. The rear is from Scott's Old Auto Rubber in Australia. I bought the front for the 320 from them too, so I'd assume they have the 521 as well. I haven't paid any attention to differences between quality....sorry :) I've got one brand new 521 window that ran me the better part of $500 to have delivered here. Got several years ago. It's waiting for the "just in case" :)

Where are you getting your windows from?

I have 2 521 windshields as a backups for my 520. ! is NOS and 1 is used. The NOS is thinner than the used one. I also have 1 NOS wing glass and 1 NOS back glass as backups also. When I pul the glass ou of my truck I will check the fit of the 521 glass. As for the dirfference in thickness the glass shop said they would use sealer all the way around between the seall and glass/metal.

I think I put the pics of the paint a couple of pages ago.....Hot Rodz Flatz black with gloss lime green highlights. :)

The rust isn't too bad, but I need to fix the leaks and get the work done so I can get paint on it :)

Not much time to post any write up with these...any questions just ask :)

100_2250.jpg

100_2252.jpg

100_2253.jpg

100_2254.jpg

100_2256.jpg

100_2257.jpg

100_2258.jpg

100_2259.jpg

100_2261.jpg

100_2266.jpg

100_2267.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2272.jpg

100_2276.jpg

100_2277.jpg

100_2278.jpg

As you can see, the pass side metal was too thin and was blowing out.....so I got to make a patch panel. Hard to see in the pics, but once I had it close to size and the lip bent, I then put a small crown in the piece since the window frame is not flat right there. I put it between a body working dolly and a soft piece of wood and clamped it in the vise. I repositioned it a couple of times. I was cranking away on it...didn't take time to take pics of everything. Hopefully, tonight, I can trim it down a bit more...I want a slight gap to help with penetration. Then I'll weld it up and see how it looks. I'll probably make another small one at the bottom of this one.

GO mend go! That spot sander is pretty rad Mike! And man that feeling you get when you weld on something and it errodes away, meaning it will take quadruple the time to fix, must be daunting. Way to plow through it!

LOoking good Mike. Sometimes the best way is to cut out & make new panels. Is that where the water was getting into the cab from? How bout running a bead of seal sealer over the dressed welds just to be sure it's water tight ? Wish i had all of your gadgets / tools :D

GO mend go! That spot sander is pretty rad Mike! And man that feeling you get when you weld on something and it errodes away, meaning it will take quadruple the time to fix, must be daunting. Way to plow through it!

..hhmmm...I'm more like the ox that's pulling the plow! One of these days, I'll get to be the farmer and do the easy part :)

LOoking good Mike. Sometimes the best way is to cut out & make new panels. Is that where the water was getting into the cab from? How bout running a bead of seal sealer over the dressed welds just to be sure it's water tight ? Wish i had all of your gadgets / tools :D

I'm guessing that was where some of it was coming in. I've still got a bit more digging to do to know for sure. I sure hope this fixes it!! :) I don't know if seam sealer is the right stuff for the area where the paint will show. I was going to Ospho it and bondo/paint it. I think I may just get on Eastman's site and order up some lead cane :)

Way cool Mike. In your next life I hope you come back as a surgeon. You have the patience and the skill. :)

this gave me a mental image of mike in an operating room holding a welder with a terified pacient

Way cool Mike. In your next life I hope you come back as a surgeon. You have the patience and the skill. :)

Thanks! It would certainly pay better!!!

this gave me a mental image of mike in an operating room holding a welder with a terified pacient

Let's not forget the grinder!! "Screw Liposuction....I can get those saddle bags off in no time!!" :)

So I did a bit of sandblasting...'til the rain put a stop to that.....I sprayed a bit of soapy water over the outside where I welded...then I blew air near the rust hole and seams on the inside......the bubbles are where the air was coming out. This is a spot that would get a bunch of water from the tire slinging it up...not good.

100_2279.jpg

100_2280.jpg

I trimmed a bit more off the edge, then welded it in. I'll grind it down tomorrow and have to fill in some holes.

100_2285.jpg

100_2286.jpg

100_2288.jpg

I may not be making huge strides at this point, but a little bit every day is certainly a lot better than I've been doing!!

I think the area cleaned up pretty nice with the grinder. Need to address the top seam too.

100_2290.jpg

100_2291.jpg

100_2292.jpg

100_2293.jpg

100_2296.jpg

• Like 1

I think I may just have to switch up my sleep schedule. I went to bed a bit early last night to try to get caught up on some sleep.....nope...simply woke up that much earlier....so I'm thinking I may just start staying up later....get up later....I've got over an extra hour in the morning that I don't really spend being productive. Anyway.......I need to start putting in more time!!

• Like 1